Metal dust on oil dip stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently changed out my oil at 1280 miles.Dumping the factory fill ( at 1480 miles now) Today I was checking the oil levels as I ran my dip stick across a paper towel I noticed a tiny bit of grey dust on it. The end of the dip stick is a bit rough though.

I changed the oil with Mobil 1 0W20 and used a FRAM XG9972 filter. ( should have used a Toyota OEM) seems like a few people here use it. 6.2 quarts and the made sure it was filled properly.

Should I be alarmed or is the engine still breaking in? Oil is gold in color.

This is on a 2017 Tacoma. V-6

Last edited:
You're good.

True story: buddy was changing the oil on his mid-90's Sierra and metal chunks (not shavings, chunks) were in the oil pan. I said to him afterwards, "you better start thinking about a new truck..."

That was a year and a half ago, it's still his daily driver and still has the same engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EMT_760
I recently changed out my oil at 1280 miles.Dumping the factory fill ( at 1480 miles now) Today I was checking the oil levels as I ran my dip stick across a paper towel I noticed a tiny bit of grey dust on it. The end of the dip stick is a bit rough though.

I changed the oil with Mobil 1 0W20 and used a FRAM XG9972 filter. ( should have used a Toyota OEM) seems like a few people here use it. 6.2 quarts and the made sure it was filled properly.

Should I be alarmed or is the engine still breaking in? Oil is gold in color.

This is on a 2017 Tacoma. V-6

That material is from the metal to metal contact between the dipstick and tube, nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back