Automatic timer switches

Status
Not open for further replies.
About to close on our first home, and I have a question. The home has 3 exterior doors, each with a lamp(s) outside the door. All are controlled by a switch on the inside of each door. I really like the idea of the lights being on at night, but I really don't want to have to switch them on/off manually, especially since one is downstairs. I've been looking at something like this: Electric timer switch

They're a bit pricey, but would do the job. I'm just wondering if there is another cheaper option that would accomplish the same thing? maybe a photocell like this: Photocell

I'd rather not have to see one of these photocells outside, although it would never have to be reprogrammed as the sunrise/sunset time changes, or after power outages. Ideas?

Not sure how expensive this is nowadays (it has been a long time since I installed one), but have you thought of installing outdoor lights with a light sensor? I keep the switch on at all times; they turn off automatically at dawn. The bulbs are meant to last almost forever, and they pretty much do.

EDIT: I have used Lights of America brand, but what I was talking about is something like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/All-Pro-1-Head-...ight/1000042385

Last edited:
I installed a Leviton astronomical timer switch. It knows sunrise and sunset so you program how long before sunset and what time you want it to turn off. i.e. Summer it turns on about 8pm and off at 9pm, winter is
on about 6pm and off at 9pm. It continually adjusts.
It does the opposite for sunrise, you set "on" time and it turns them off at your specified duration after sunrise.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
battery operated(2AA's gotten about 1.5-2yrs), mounts over the existing light switch and moves a plate up and down to just flip the switch.

That's pretty neat. Would this work on a rocker type switch as well?

I have a couple of those astronomical timers where it would have been difficult to wire a photocell (and yes they do require a neutral). They work extremely well, all you have to do is enter in your latitude and longitude from either the list provided or your cell phone and the switch takes care of the rest. I live far enough north that the regular timers get wildly wrong with the change in seasons.

Originally Posted By: knerml
Honeywell PLS750C1000 Timer Switch with Sunrise Sunset

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I have a couple of those astronomical timers where it would have been difficult to wire a photocell (and yes they do require a neutral). They work extremely well, all you have to do is enter in your latitude and longitude from either the list provided or your cell phone and the switch takes care of the rest. I live far enough north that the regular timers get wildly wrong with the change in seasons.

That's the best part about the Intermatic ST01 model, no neutral needed. It has a small battery in it that should last for years. I actually use it to switch a DC load, turning on and off the low voltage outdoor LED landscaping lights.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: earlyre
battery operated(2AA's gotten about 1.5-2yrs), mounts over the existing light switch and moves a plate up and down to just flip the switch.

That's pretty neat. Would this work on a rocker type switch as well?

they have one that's supposed to, but for some reason i couldn't get it to cooperate with the switch at my brother's place when i was hooking it up...(might have been something wonky with that gang box and we didn't have the right length screws, or some such...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back