Tipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I often give the guy who rotates my tires and airs them up. I am having a new AC unit being replaced in my home. Do you normally tip these installers? Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
No do you tip the clerk and the grocery store, the guy that changes your oil, your Doctor, Lawyer as well. Tipping has been blown way out of proportion. They are shaming you out of money with PC and doing very little for it in a lot of cases.

My son worked residential HVAC over the summer basically as a gopher. He received one tip when he delivered a new AC unit late in the afternoon on a Friday so it could be installed that evening. He was happy to get the tip but it's not expected.

Last edited:
I went to a coffee shop in CO.

The coffee was overpriced and a tip was expected at time of order. The most surprising thing was that customers were forced to bus their own tables. The cashier and barrista (?) never came out from behind the counter.

Why they were deseerving of a 20% tip is beyond me.

Americans are known for being ridiculously big tippers in many developing world nations. The locals get quite a chuckle about it and one popular cartoon showed an American leaving a tip for nothing more than when a local passed wind.

The Discount Tire by me has a spot where you can pull your car up, and one of the lackeys there will come over and air them up (or down) to whatever pressure you specify (at least what I've specified.. I don't know if they have rules regarding what's "too much"). It's free, and they always do it with a smile. I frequently tip the guy who takes care of it for me a buck or two, mainly because they have a good attitude.

I will occasionally tip non-professional service people if they do an exceptional job with the service and/or the personal element of the interaction (i.e. Very friendly, communicative, etc). Usually it's delivery men and similar people. If tradespeople are helping me at my home, I try to offer them food and drink instead.

Tipping is way overblown in the USA, but I'd be curious to better understand the basic wage structure in other first world countries where tipping is less. At least for food service, we even have a different minimum wage structure.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I will occasionally tip non-professional service people if they do an exceptional job with the service and/or the personal element of the interaction (i.e. Very friendly, communicative, etc). Usually it's delivery men and similar people. If tradespeople are helping me at my home, I try to offer them food and drink instead.

Tipping is way overblown in the USA, but I'd be curious to better understand the basic wage structure in other first world countries where tipping is less. At least for food service, we even have a different minimum wage structure.

Tipping for food service employees is assumed and you are quite right their wage structure is low for this reason.

Tipping is not done at all in New Zealand. Thanking a person for a job well done is usually done with beer. Sometimes I've had people slip me a bit of cash for helping them out on the road when bringing a box in is not possible.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Tipping is not done at all in New Zealand. Thanking a person for a job well done is usually done with beer.

Sign me up where do I get this job.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Tipping for food service employees is assumed and you are quite right their wage structure is low for this reason.

Yep. Plus they are part time with zero benefits.

I'm sure the installer would appreciate it and particularly when it's not expected. Many, many years ago I had a summer job working catering at a club, helped a member load some things into his car. He handed me a few bills, totally unexpected but I still remember that and how it made me feel. Good for you.

This. I don't believe in tipping simply because their employer doesn't pay them a living wage. I believe tipping should be done on top of their living wage but only if they go above and beyond what their job description mandates they do. Plus,all,if not most of the time,all tips go into a community bucket and it gets divided among all employees at the end of the night which should be illegal. I do always tip waitstaff though and I hand it directly to them and tell them "this is for YOU". I don't want my money going into a community bucket.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

This. I don't believe in tipping simply because their employer doesn't pay them a living wage. I believe tipping should be done on top of their living wage but only if they go above and beyond what their job description mandates they do. Plus,all,if not most of the time,all tips go into a community bucket and it gets divided among all employees at the end of the night which should be illegal. I do always tip waitstaff though and I hand it directly to them and tell them "this is for YOU". I don't want my money going into a community bucket.

If the waitstaff has agreed to split all tips then your actions results in only two possible outcomes:

1) The recipient donates your tip to the communal pot.

OR

2) The recipeint slyly pockets your tip and is spotted by very watchful coworkers and is forever more branded a thief who cannot be trusted.

Your "strings attached" tip is a nice gesture but its really not your decision how those funds are dispersed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back