Mobil 1 0w-40 (FS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the consensus with the new Mobil 1 0w-40 fs version vs the old 0w-40 formula?
What was changed and why?
I had been running it in both my vehicles, a 2001 Dodge Durango with the 4.7 and a 91 Dodge power ram 150 with a crate 360 magnum.
I just did oil changes on both of them this last weekend and noticed that Mobil 1 has changed the 0w-40 formula.
Is it still as good as before? And is it still a good oil for my engines?
I live in Montana where winter gets very cold and is the longest season of the year.
That's why I decided on Mobil 1 0w-40 a few years back.
How does the new valvoline synpower 0w-40 stack up against the new Mobil 1 0w-40 formula?
I've been waiting for valvoline to come out with a 0w-40 and they finally have.
Before switching to Mobil 1 0w-40 I ran nothing but synpower 5w-30 in both my engines.

Last edited:
In Montana I think I'd run 0W-30 for winter oil. Its been a long time since I lived in Montana and I'm not anxious to get familiar with that again.

I run the new Mobil 1 fs 0w-40 in my car with seemingly good results. From my research the only difference in formulation is that they stopped using “highly refined mineral oil” Group 3, and replaced it with Natural Gas to Liquid oil Group 3 like used in pennzoi Synthetics. The way I determined this was by comparing the new and old safety data sheet. However bolth the new and old contain Group 4. Ester content can’t be determined in either formulation because it is not hazardous to human health.

The rest of the additive pack, pour pont/ viscosity etc. can be found on Mobil’s website and looks pretty good. With a TBN over 12 and some extra additives as compared to the rest of their lineup.

To address your first question what has changed is M1 no longer has BMW LL-01 spec, why? I don't know. There may be other changes I'm not aware. Not sure what problem(s) your are trying to solve by running European grade oil in your trucks but if cold oil flow is a primary concern you'd be much better served running most any North American spec'd 5-W30. They all will perform much better during your winters.

Originally Posted By: Egg_Head
To address your first question what has changed is M1 no longer has BMW LL-01 spec, why? I don't know. There may be other changes I'm not aware. Not sure what problem(s) your are trying to solve by running European grade oil in your trucks but if cold oil flow is a primary concern you'd be much better served running most any North American spec'd 5-W30. They all will perform much better during your winters.

So a US specced 5W30 flows better in the cold than a Us specced 0W40...when the specs for cold flow are the US API...

That's a story I'd like to see some details on...please fill us in.

My assumption is based upon both oil viscosity ratings @ 40C and that the lower number indicates an easier flow when cold. Information below is from the M1 USA website, please correct me if I am misunderstanding the data.

M1 0-W40
Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)
@ 40ºC 70.8
@ 100ºC 12.9

SAE Grade 5W-30
Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 11.0
Viscosity, @ 40ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 61.7

@40 deg. C. The difference only appears at much lower temperatures.

And it's not flow, it is the limit of cold cranking and pumpability.

If you're in the tropics all year round, then the 5w-30 has a better CC/pumping factor than the 0w-40 at 104 degF. In Montana at dead of winter the M1 0w-40 will flow and pump better than the M1 5w-30.

The newer M1 0w-40 FS has a reduced viscosity at 212 deg F than the old version (12.9 vs 13.8). For cold winters that's probably helpful unless you're hauling logs in a work truck.

For Montana, I'd take a 0W any day
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Egg_Head
My assumption is based upon both oil viscosity ratings @ 40C and that the lower number indicates an easier flow when cold. Information below is from the M1 USA website, please correct me if I am misunderstanding the data.

M1 0-W40
Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)
@ 40ºC 70.8
@ 100ºC 12.9

SAE Grade 5W-30
Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 11.0
Viscosity, @ 40ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 61.7

But both oils are completely pumpable at those temperatures...the positive displacement pumps will shift the same volume every rev of either, until the galleries are purged...once full, the 40 will have greater resistance to flow, hit the relief sooner, but everything will be lubricated at the same time.

at -35C, the 0W wins.

I was just mainly wondering if it's still a good oil or if it's dropped in qaulity due to the change.
I decided on 0w-40 because of the cold winters and the hot summers.
I will continue to use 0w-40 in both my vehicles.
And I'd like to continue the Mobil 1 since it's so cheap and readily available.
But if it's dropped in qaulity and there is something better to be had i would consider changing.
A few years ago the consensus was that Mobil 1 0w-40 was the best readily available 0w-40 on the market.
Now with this new (FS) formula I've read and heard of a lot people switching to different brands since it dropped the BMW spec.

Originally Posted By: pjc360
I was just mainly wondering if it's still a good oil or if it's dropped in qaulity due to the change.
But if it's dropped in qaulity and there is something better to be had i would consider changing.
A few years ago the consensus was that Mobil 1 0w-40 was the best readily available 0w-40 on the market.
Now with this new (FS) formula I've read and heard of a lot people switching to different brands since it dropped the BMW spec.

People like myself may switch to a different brand for a BMW because it no longer carries Longlife-01 certification. But as to why it does not, no one knows because ExxonMobil is not saying. No one here knows the exact requirements of the Longlife-01 certification test and whether the new FS version does not meet one of the requirements or whether they just decided not to certify it.

Mobil 1 FS still carries all the certifications it did before except Longlife-01. Do you need LL-01? Which certifications does your engine require? Is it one of the remaining ones? I would say that if the lack of Longlife-01 is a concern then move five feet down the Walmart shelf and buy Castrol 0W-40. But whether or not it is a "good oil" can be answered by which specifications it still carries. There aren't any "bad oils" that carry Porsche A40 for example.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

People like myself may switch to a different brand for a BMW because it no longer carries Longlife-01 certification. But as to why it does not, no one knows because ExxonMobil is not saying. No one here knows the exact requirements of the Longlife-01 certification test and whether the new FS version does not meet one of the requirements or whether they just decided not to certify it.

Mobil 1 FS still carries all the certifications it did before except Longlife-01. Do you need LL-01? Which certifications does your engine require? Is it one of the remaining ones? I would say that if the lack of Longlife-01 is a concern then move five feet down the Walmart shelf and buy Castrol 0W-40. But whether or not it is a "good oil" can be answered by which specifications it still carries. There aren't any "bad oils" that carry Porsche A40 for example.

No my engines don't require the BMW spec so it's pretty much meaningless to me.
I was just wondering if there is another oil that's stepped up their game with 0w-40.
I'd personally rather run Mobil 1 over Castrol cause it's normally cheaper and easier to find.
Looks like I'll stick with Mobil 1 0w-40'sinxe the BMW spec is irrelevant to my engines.

When your BMW was built LL-01 spec didn't even exist so I wouldn't worry about it.

In my manual it specs API SH or better. The newest M1 0W40 has to be better than that. lol

But you are right the BMW fanatics insist on using LL-01 even thought they have no idea what LL-01 actually is and they dump their oil after 5k miles anyways.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
When your BMW was built LL-01 spec didn't even exist so I wouldn't worry about it.

In my manual it specs API SH or better. The newest M1 0W40 has to be better than that. lol

But you are right the BMW fanatics insist on using LL-01 even thought they have no idea what LL-01 actually is and they dump their oil after 5k miles anyways.

Nah I don't worry about it. Back in the day it was "BMW Special Oil" or whatever they exactly called it, then it became Longlife-98 before Longlife-01. On the other hand, since Castrol 0W-40 does have LL-01 I don't see why I shouldn't use it especially considering it's the same price at Walmart. I go through enough M1 for all my other cars and OPE so any rebates I get are used on those.

Wow I put 10k on the last Mobil 1 0w-40 I had ran in my 01 durango with the 4.7 liter.
I have it bottled up and am going to send it off to black stone for a uoa.
I will post the results when i get it back.
The oil looked pretty decent for that many miles.
Most of them were city miles too.

Wow I put 10k on the last Mobil 1 0w-40 I had ran in my 01 durango with the 4.7 liter.
I have it bottled up and am going to send it off to black stone for a uoa.
I will post the results when i get it back.
The oil looked pretty decent for that many miles.
Most of them were city miles too.

Hey did you get a uoa on this oil? I've used mobil 0w40 in my silverado for years now. Im just north of you in Alberta and this 0w40 and amsoil 5w30 hhd are the only oils I've tried that have zero noise at start up in winter for me.

No GTL oil will get BMW LL01. The cheapest russian sludge oil have Bmw long life LL01 here where i live. The problem is that oil with GTL with no group3 cleans engine too "much" and cant go for the bmw 30k KM oci. It will block up the oil filter to fast.

The problem in EU is that many is too lazy to change the oil in time.
BTW US makes the best engine oils in the world!

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
No GTL oil will get BMW LL01. The cheapest russian sludge oil have Bmw long life LL01 here where i live. The problem is that oil with GTL with no group3 cleans engine too "much" and cant go for the bmw 30k KM oci. It will block up the oil filter to fast.

That reminds me of the reason certain boutique oil manufacturers used to give as to why they neglected to obtain proper certifications - that the oil was "too good" and wouldn't meet the spec as a result.

Do you have access to the details of Longlife-01 certification to substantiate your claim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back