Why don't HTO-06 oils win here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't get an answer on this from Mobil 1's tech folks so I figured I'd try here.

Check out this result from Mobil 1's comparison tool. Mobil 1 5w-30 carries HTO-06 approval. The other two don't.

Shouldn't the HTO-06 oil compare more favorably in the deposit control, high temp performance, and turbo protection categories? Does HTO-06 just not correspond that closely with those categories, or is this saying ESP X1 0w-30 and FS 0w-40 would pass HTO-06 by a bigger margin?

I suspect the 0w40 isn't HTO-06 for CAFE reasons. Honda rarely specs anything heavier than a 30.

Well yeah. What I'm wondering is why an HTO-06 approved oil can't hang with it in areas that seem directly relevant to HTO-06.

crackmeup2.gif

That's about as good an answer as I got from Mobil, honestly...

That's what I was going to say...that chart is all about marketing tiers and has little or nothing to do with much more than that.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
crackmeup2.gif

Their CS reps have to be very careful when answering such questions. They don't want to cannibalize their own sales, nor do they want to imply that HTO-06 is an inferior spec to something else. Similarly, they don't want to say anything that contradicts or goes against contractual obligations for that certification they paid for.

Also, didn't you already answer this? ;-)
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1377574/1

The 0W30 and 0W40 oils are for the most part, designed for use in European vehicles. Why would Mobil spend the money getting oils not specified for use in a Honda to pass the HTO-06 test.
The 0W30 has a 54F higher flash point than the 5W30. Plus there is more magic secret sauce in the 0W30 oil not contained in the 5W30 API SN your not going to see in an oil analysis.
Wasn't that HTO-06 spec made for the Acura RDX turbo when it came out eons ago?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Is HTO 6 still a valid spec oil for current engines?

AFAIK, there's only one car in the entire universe that takes it, and that's the first-gen Acura RDX.

Originally Posted By: dparm
crackmeup2.gif

Their CS reps have to be very careful when answering such questions. They don't want to cannibalize their own sales, nor do they want to imply that HTO-06 is an inferior spec to something else. Similarly, they don't want to say anything that contradicts or goes against contractual obligations for that certification they paid for.

Yep, good points. Was thinking similarly.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Also, didn't you already answer this? ;-)
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1377574/1

LOL, wow. 8 years ago. Surprised I don't hate every single thing I said. :p

AFAIK, there's only one car in the entire universe that takes it, and that's the first-gen Acura RDX.

I'm surprised they didn't adopt it for other cars more recently, seeing as how a huge percentage of their cars now rely on turbos.

Was thinking the same thing.

HTO-06 came out when ILSAC GF-4 was current. GF-5 came out soon afterward, and that includes some requirements for turbocharger preservation in addition to being tougher in other ways. Maybe they felt GF-5 was good enough. Plus, you can get GF-5 products in xw-20 grades all day long; I'm pretty sure HTO-06 is 5w-30 only.

Was thinking the same thing.

HTO-06 came out when ILSAC GF-4 was current. GF-5 came out soon afterward, and that includes some requirements for turbocharger preservation in addition to being tougher in other ways. Maybe they felt GF-5 was good enough. Plus, you can get GF-5 products in xw-20 grades all day long; I'm pretty sure HTO-06 is 5w-30 only.

In that regard, why not just back-spec the RDX? Was the K23A1 designed specifically to run on 5w30?

Thats how I understand it as well. Super low build numbers, like 20K cars total in all of the United States that use HTO 6 oil spec. Pretty obsolete at this point.

Pretty sure all these oils have equal or lower HTHS viscosities, and Mobil still rates them equal or better in areas that seem related to HTO-06:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back