bought chevy malibu with 1.5 ecotec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a new 2017 Chevy Malibu with 1.5L Ecotec & got rid of my Hyundai with electrical gremlins. Been searching through forum for UOA with the car or people talking about the engines. Any oil recommendations not finding a lot? Got another free oil change at dealer. I think they use the AC Delco Full Syn 5w30 there. I believe Mobil makes it. Was thinking of switching over to Castrol Edge or Valvoline full syn. Looks like full syn is the only option. Guess people runnning semi-syn was causing engine failures from search results. Looks like most major brands are Dexos 2 now like Edge/PP/Valvoline Synpower.

Last edited:
Probably would be wise to stick with stuff rated Dexos2 for warranty purposes. I know Synpower already carries it, although really any major full syn will be fine.

Yeah, plan on sticking with the Delco filters as well. Dang things are 11-12 bucks. Debating on whether to let the lube dudes at the dealer change the oil again. I'm sure I'll be trying to crawl under it and drive around paranoid until I do it myself.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Probably would be wise to stick with stuff rated Dexos2 for warranty purposes. I know Synpower already carries it, although really any major full syn will be fine.

Last edited:
That engine is sometimes tricky about oil level. Takes 2 hours to completely drain the sump, which Quickie Lubes and dealerships won't and can't do.....
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4532108/Re:_2017_Pacifica_First_Oil_Ch#Post4532108

I have that same engine. Gets great MPG with enough power and torque around 2,000 RPM to get-r-done.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4513632/Re:_'18_Equinox:__Whats_New,_G#Post4513390

Not "Dexos2", thats for diesels only. He wants "dexos1 Gen2", and Valvoline Synpower 0w20 does have that approval. Although technically a 2017 is approved for dexos1 Gen1, it is a DI-turbo so it could use the LSPI approval in Gen2 stuff. Any full syn with low calcium should be allright, as in any Mobil1 0w20 you see, as calcium gets blamed for most LSPI events in practice.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
He wants "dexos1 Gen2", and Valvoline Synpower 0w20 does have that approval. Although technically a 2017 is approved for dexos1 Gen1, it is a DI-turbo so it could use the LSPI approval in Gen2 stuff. Any full syn with low calcium should be allright, as in any Mobil1 0w20 you see, as calcium gets blamed for most LSPI events in practice.

Spot on!

I'm getting better MPG with my Malibu so far than my Accent. Running 87 octane Top-Tier fuel. On this trip I'm at 41.3 mpg. I'll probably lose some mpg on the way home today. Thanks for the slow drain advice I've missed that one. I think I'll stick with Castrol Edge 5w30 when the time comes. I found it on the Dexos1 gen2 approved list while ago.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
That engine is sometimes tricky about oil level. Takes 2 hours to completely drain the sump, which Quickie Lubes and dealerships won't and can't do.....
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4532108/Re:_2017_Pacifica_First_Oil_Ch#Post4532108

I have that same engine. Gets great MPG with enough power and torque around 2,000 RPM to get-r-done.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4513632/Re:_'18_Equinox:__Whats_New,_G#Post4513390

Not "Dexos2", thats for diesels only. He wants "dexos1 Gen2", and Valvoline Synpower 0w20 does have that approval. Although technically a 2017 is approved for dexos1 Gen1, it is a DI-turbo so it could use the LSPI approval in Gen2 stuff. Any full syn with low calcium should be allright, as in any Mobil1 0w20 you see, as calcium gets blamed for most LSPI events in practice.

GM recalled the 1.5l Malibus not too long ago due to LSPI ("super knock") issues, this was discussed in an earlier thread.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4331368/Stochastic_Pre-Ignition_(SPI)_

Note that GM was very specific about the oil to be used in those engines at that time.
Yes, you will definitely want to look for dexos1 Gen 2 (not dexos2, as mentioned above) oils that have passed an LSPI test in the future. So far, members here have seen Valvoline Synpower and Maxlife, Royal Purple, and M1 AP jugs with a Gen 2 logo and/or license # at various Walmarts. Gen 2 oils should become much more common very soon...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What's the recommended viscosity out of curiosity ?
Great question. This Malibu is the LFV version of the 1.5T, and my '18 Equinox uses the LYX 1.5T. The Malibu LFV uses 0w30 or 5w30 dexos1 Gen2, and my LYX uses 0w20. I can't explain why. I do know that my 0w20-engine produces more peak torque, at 204 ft-lbs, while the Malibu's engine peaks at 184 ft-lbs. Very confusing.
Maybe the 2018 Malibu actually will use 0w20 like the 2018 Equinox uses, not sure yet.
Opel_Motor_B10XFT_Einlass-Seite_Aufgeschnitten.jpg

Oil cap on mine says 5w30. Manual says 5w30. Heard some newer ones might use 0w20. I had dealer run my VIN and it came back 5w30 still.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What's the recommended viscosity out of curiosity ?

Originally Posted By: bradtech
I'm getting better MPG with my Malibu so far than my Accent. Running 87 octane Top-Tier fuel. On this trip I'm at 41.3 mpg. I'll probably lose some mpg on the way home today. Thanks for the slow drain advice I've missed that one. I think I'll stick with Castrol Edge 5w30 when the time comes. I found it on the Dexos1 gen2 approved list while ago.
Its capable of big MPG numbers, I can see that already in my Equinox with the 1.5T.
Just make sure you don't accidentally get old-stock Edge 5w30. Lots of old-stock around for a while. It should say "Gen 2" in the lower right hand corner of the dexos1 logo on the front of the bottle or jug. Later it should be easy to find, but not now.

So the dealership didn't overfill or underfill your car?
When I go in, I'll probably tell them to put in 4 quarts (under spec for mine) to make sure they don't overfill after their quick-drain method.

Couldn't find a convenient link to a 2018 Malibu manual, but I did find this in one for the 2018 Equinox.

"Ask for and use engine oils that meet the dexos1 specification. Engine oils that have been approved by GM as meeting the dexos1 specification are marked with the dexos1 approved logo. See www.gmdexos.com.
Caution
Failure to use the recommended engine oil or equivalent can result in engine damage not covered by the vehicle warranty.
Viscosity Grade For the LYX 1.5L turbo engine, use: . Dexos1 approved ACDelco Full Synthetic 0W20 engine oil. . Dexos1 approved Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0W20 engine oil. . Or any other 0W20 engine oil meeting dexos1 second generation requirements. Use SAE5W-30 viscosity grade engine oil for the LTG 2.0L turbo engine."

So, for the 2018 Equinox' version of the 1.5l engine, they recommend;
1. dexos1 ACDelco 0W20,
2. dexos1 M1 0W20, or
3. any dexos1 Gen 2 0W20.

Interesting that they say any dexos1 5W30 is OK for the 2.0l turbo.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I like how the alternator is mounted to the bottom and in the rear.

That looks like a pain to change!

Yes they can get great mileage! We love our Malibu!

I need you to do one thing. As far as oil filters go your car should take a special oil filter ACDelco UPF64R. It's important that the dealership put that filter on (different bypass pressures, filter media). Both of our free dealership oil changes, they put the cheaper PF64 filter on and I brought the car back and had them put the correct filter on.

Not many aftermarket filters have a bona fide match to this filter yet so buyer beware. Most of the time they will cross reference you to the PF64 style filter. I think Fram does but for now I just get a UPF64R from Amazon.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I like how the alternator is mounted to the bottom and in the rear.

That looks like a pain to change!

That is what I was thinking when I saw where it is.

Welcome to turbo world. See if you can run Dexos 1 gen 2 5w-30 in both and stay in warranty. Most of the gen 2 stuff is not available yet. (Around here anyway) You can however prolly get Valvoline synpower Gen 2 at Wally World. If you take it easy on the throttle you might get excellent fuel economy. I milked a 2017 Cruze 1.4T for 51 mpg on a 700 mile all hwy run. I was hypermiling it just to see what I could get.. Didn’t touch the tire air pressure either.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Interesting that they say any dexos1 5W30 is OK for the 2.0l turbo.
I saw that too. At first I thought it was just sloppy careless language, and then I realized GM is very worried that 1.5T's will crack pistons or rings when/if LSPI occurs and therefore points out a Gen2 should be used. For the 2,0T, maybe they are just letting the old stock dexos1 Gen1 oils get used up naturally with time, no hurry, when applied to the 2.0T engine specifically. After all, this talk of Gen2 goes away very soon as the old stock disappears from the shelves.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I need you to do one thing. As far as oil filters go your car should take a special oil filter ACDelco UPF64R. It's important that the dealership put that filter on (different bypass pressures, filter media). Both of our free dealership oil changes, they put the cheaper PF64 filter on and I brought the car back and had them put the correct filter on.
Interesting. I didn't know that. I am curious about what is diff about the UPF64R, because I just put a Fram Ultra on there (one of my favorites, along with Microgeens and Royal Purple filters) and I threw away the OEM AC-Delco that was on there so don't know the part number on it...oops. My '18 Equinox 1.5T Owners Manual only points to the old PF64:
oUTOvHc.jpg

I think somebody else mentioned seeing this earlier today, but I saw M1 0W20 AFE with a dexos1 Gen 2 badge at the Super Walmart in the city where I work (we have a smaller one where I live that I usually patronize). Doesn't seem like either one of those WMs is carrying RP anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back