Did the 9006 to 9012 bulb mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2 yr old Silverstars in my Accord were still going strong but I got the itch to try this mod out. I haven't gotten a chance to do a night drive yet but I'm excited to see if the extra lumens these Philips 9012s are touted for actually make a difference. Just by looking at them during the daytime, it's obvious the light is a murkier yellow than the Silverstars.

And on a side note, these bulbs are made in Poland. Other Philips bulbs I've gotten in the past were all made in Germany.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
So it is a direct fit where 9006 was mounted/is it a higher wattage?

It isn't direct fit but very easy to do; all that's needed is a little trimming of one of the bulb tabs with a nail clipper. Wattage is the same 55W as OEM.

The 9012 is much brighter, with similar power usage. simply need to trim a couple of tabs.

I did a similar mod on my previous '08 Civic and what low-beams changed from almost worthless to adequate.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Originally Posted By: 4WD
So it is a direct fit where 9006 was mounted/is it a higher wattage?

It isn't direct fit but very easy to do; all that's needed is a little trimming of one of the bulb tabs with a nail clipper. Wattage is the same 55W as OEM.

I tried using a couple of different nail clippers and it didn't even come close to working. What do you have LLoyd Christmas nails!?

I used a dremil.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I tried using a couple of different nail clippers and it didn't even come close to working. What do you have LLoyd Christmas nails!?

I used a dremil.

Nope, regular nails here!

I did that mod in my OEM Camry headlights

Well worth the effort/cost, as long as you have good glare control (a glare cap)

I've since moved on to Projectors and HID's, but the 9012 mod is a solid and effective way to boost stock light output, without blinding everyone else

I did the mod on my corolla and was happy at first until I had a 9012 burn out within two years. Since then, ive switched to LED bulb replacements and im not looking back. Im using Yumseen brand LED lights 6000k color temp, bright white. Doesnt blind anyone but really clarifies the roads, even better than the 9012's and will be less likely to cloud your headlight lenses. Regardless the 9012's will be an improvement for you.

I did this to my Avalanche earlier this year. Nearly everything I read said to use toenail clippers to trim the tabs, and take a little off at the time. If not the plastic can break. I used a pair of the small dikes made for electronics.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I did the mod on my corolla and was happy at first until I had a 9012 burn out within two years. Since then, ive switched to LED bulb replacements and im not looking back. Im using Yumseen brand LED lights 6000k color temp, bright white. Doesnt blind anyone but really clarifies the roads, even better than the 9012's and will be less likely to cloud your headlight lenses. Regardless the 9012's will be an improvement for you.

So the Chinese made 6000K COB LED bulbs in a halogen enclosure was better than the high output halogen bulb 9012 with perfect color rendition made for the enclosure?

There is no way...I think the laser blue 6000K is messing with your eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back