"Electric" Buzzing While Half Asleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got really tired while reading last night and decided to just lay down on the sectional and drift off.
Woke up about a quarter to 5 and went upstairs to try to get a little more sleep before getting ready for work, laid awake for a while and then had a brief dream before being stirred back awake by one of our cats. I started hearing loud buzzing sounds and feeling like something was shooting through my head...this happens to me every so often and is often accompanied by periods of multiple rapid transitions between dreaming and short periods of being awake. I have read that some people hear the buzzing during sleep paralysis, and I have experienced brief episodes of the latter (always terrifies me) but never with the buzzing.

I did end up drifting in and out of dreaming, some of the dreams seemed long and then I would wake to find that only 1-2 minutes had passed on the clock since I was last awake. I then woke up about 5 minutes before I wanted to get ready for work and immediately fell into a dream that involved me trying to get to bed because I needed to get up early for a trip the next day. I think my brain was playing a little trick on me and I woke up 10 minutes later than I wanted and had to hustle to beat the traffic and school buses on my commute. I rarely use alarms and can usually wake up when I need to on my own.

Does anybody else on here experience this sort of "electric" buzzing while traversing between sleep and wakefulness? The physical sensation that accompanies it could be compared to a mild electric shock. I guess the best comparison for the sound I can think of is turning an old curve tracer on, but it's also similar to a weed whacker on a rock or piece of wood.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I have read that some people hear the buzzing during sleep paralysis, and I have experienced brief episodes of the latter (always terrifies me) but never with the buzzing.

I had sleep paralysis encounters in the past...scarry expirience!

Its funny....you are 100% awake but you are not able to move...nor open your eyes...oh and that "presence" of "something"....I can not define what it feels like...grrr
frown.gif

And the more you struggle to move...to confront with that" presence"...the more you are stuck...and harder you breathe...like that something is sucking you in deeper into that nightmare...

All I can hear&see while fighting to free myself are curch bells and some white light when I am struggling to open my eyes...

But recently I have found how to drift away out of my nightmares....once I said ok this is it...aparently something wants me to come on the other side...whatever will be will be...and I just stopped fighting
smile.gif
And instead of the white light wich I was expecting it at the end of the tunnel...I just driffted out of my nightmare and regain my ability to move...

So my advice is...whenever you will be caught in sleep paralasys...just dont resist and dont try to move or open your eyes...just try to relax yourself....try to think on stupid (at that moment) things just to distract your mind...on lets say funny Merkava4 oil article here on bitog
smile.gif
... .and you will be able to drift out of it

Insomnia cures it.
I can usually get about 4 hours of rest a night. Not necessarily sleep mind you, rest.
Dreams are about 90 seconds long in real time, but a whole day and night of being in a submarine with various people from the daily news, and trying to find the message for me that is supposed to be on a plaque near the galley sure seems longer.
Sorry for your troubles though.

Lots of weird stuff happens in the area between conscious and asleep. It could have been cat noise interpreted by your brain or any number of things. Chalk it up to weird and stop worrying.

I should have mentioned that it was not an unpleasant "second sleep" and I particularly enjoy the periods of rapid alternation of dream and wakefulness when they occur. These are generally pleasant dreams and it's fun for me to wake up from a dream that felt hours long and find that only a couple of minutes have actually passed.
The buzzing sound isn't really bad, although the associated light shock feeling can be a little uncomfortable. It is surprising to me that I have never had lucid dreams during these intervals, for some reason I never realize I'm dreaming and start to control things during the rapid fire dreams. That is really a fun experience when it does occur!

Sleep paralysis is nasty and I'm glad I haven't experienced that in several years...the worst thing was that I would hold my breath while it was occurring and start to feel truly distressed. I know that other people can experience the paralysis for long periods and maybe feel that evil entities are present and even attacking them...I just wanted to wake up and be able to breathe.
I also just realized that I haven't experienced a true nightmare in many years...I had chronic ones as a kid. Typically would have the same one over and over for months on end.

With a hundred billion neural connections in the average human brain, there are bound to be a few loose connections and dead shorts to ground. A short in the old headset.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
With a hundred billion neural connections in the average human brain, there are bound to be a few loose connections and dead shorts to ground. A short in the old headset.

Bless you for the proper use of the word "loose"!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back