0W-20 Mazda v. Castrol v others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: NickT29
I would either use Mobil 1, or as an alternative to the Mazda branded moly oil, I found Idemitsu moly oil on Amazon that is the same as the Mazda Moly oil.
Nice find. Still, that's $8 per quart, too high for many here. Thats good oil. Wish it passed GF-6 (future) or dexos1 Gen2. It probably does as far as I can guess. Just a guess though. .... Oh well, buy a cheap synthetic, like Mobil1 with the rebate, or SuperTech, or NAPA syn on sale, and then put in LM MOS2 to save a few bucks.

The real Mazda Moly oil is made in Japan by Idemitsu. They may not be in a hurry to get certified for the Gen2 dexos but we will see. In other countries the manufacturer is different. In Canada it is Petro Canada. In the US, I'm not sure. Check the bottles for country of origin

TGMO from Japan is similar to the Mazda oil but in the US it's made by M1. Not entirely the same.

I love my skyactiv engine in my 2014 Mazda 6. I ran the Mazda Genuine with Moly oil for 15,000 miles and wound up with mild oil consumption during the oil change interval (1/2 qt at 3k miles). I switched to Mobil 1 0W-20 EP formula and the oil consumption went to 0. My assumption is that the Mobil 1 has lower NOACK and vaporizes off less, which if I am correct means it will hopefully not get out of the crank case and cause intake valve deposits as easily. Either way, I am satisfied with the Mobil 1 and plan to use it or Valvoline Synpower in the future for my oil changes. Zero problems with the engine, drivetrain or oil. 70,000 miles now.

Word of caution: Use the OE Filter. You can't get the japanese ones anymore but the taiwanese ones work very well. The variable pressure oil pump works better with these than with questonable aftermarket ones that may or may not meet the flow spec requirement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dominic
Word of caution: Use the OE Filter. You can't get the japanese ones anymore but the taiwanese ones work very well. The variable pressure oil pump works better with these than with questonable aftermarket ones that may or may not meet the flow spec requirement.

What is the source of this information, if I may ask? And, what is the definition of "better" in this context? I've been using microGreen (MG101-7) for the last 60,000 miles on mine (2012 Mazda3) going 30,000 miles - with the 10,000 mile filter changes - per OCI.

Originally Posted By: Dominic

Not true at all. You don't have a reference source to back up your claim because it doesn't exist.
Aftermarket oil filters like Fram Ultra, MicroGreen, Royal Purple, Mobil1, or Amsoil EaO filters flow very well and filter better than any OEM paper filter.

I'm not willing to write off Dominic's post quite that easily. The Skyactiv engine does have a somewhat unique oil pump. His statement read a lot like what a dealership might say. I'm wondering where the information originated.

If Mazda required use of their Mazda-branded oil filters, then the Owner's Manual and Warranty pages would say it explicitly. Reality here is the Mazda oil filter brand is probably a Denso-sourced aftermarket paper oil filter, adequate but nothing special hydraulically.
Now if the manufacturer, Mazda, were to make a special statement, known to all owners, then THAT would be the ONLY valid proof of anything. A dealership tech or service advisor is not a reliable source of tech info. They are trying to sell parts, and they carry a lot of misconceptions.

It's hard sometimes to imbue posts with true intent. To clarify my most recent post, I meant that if the information came from a dealership I would doubt its validity. Dominic seemed to be speaking with some kind of technical knowledge so I am interested in the source of his information. That's basically it. A lot of people on this forum speak with conviction lacking authority. I'm trying to figure out what the case is here.

Regarding the filter; in the early days of SkyActiv Mazda recommended using their oil filter due to flow requirements. Some of the filter manufacturers were cross referencing back to the older Mazda engines. I think the filter companies have caught up. I believe I have read here that the M1 filter is specific to the SkyActiv engines now.

The oil pump is a two stage electric pump from what I have gathered here and there.

If Mazda required use of their Mazda-branded oil filters, then the Owner's Manual and Warranty pages would say it explicitly. Reality here is the Mazda oil filter brand is probably a Denso-sourced aftermarket paper oil filter, adequate but nothing special hydraulically.
Now if the manufacturer, Mazda, were to make a special statement, known to all owners, then THAT would be the ONLY valid proof of anything. A dealership tech or service advisor is not a reliable source of tech info. They are trying to sell parts, and they carry a lot of misconceptions.

Oh I second that one alright!

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Yeah, that kind of dealer price is what I've been concerned about and absolutely will not pay. My strategy is to go to the Parts Manager where I bought the car and see what he'll do on a "bulk buy" of a couple cases of oil 5-6 oil filters, an air filter a cabin filter. You know, bring him a couple hundred bucks of take-it-or-leave-it business.

As far as using the recommended oil is concerned, this car has recommended OCIs of 7500-10,000 miles so it will be a once per year deal. I used to work as a manufacturer's warranty claims investigator so maybe have a higher appreciation for the rules than most. If the dealer can't sell Mazda oil for $5/qt, I can stomach stocking three changes worth of Castrol. I have found Mazda OE oil filters online for $4.75.

If you get in good with a dealership,they'll sell you stuff at employee price.

[/quote=aquariuscsm]If you get in good with a dealership,they'll sell you stuff at employee price. [/quote]

LOL, I tried. I guess I can file this experience under the "oil is oil" evidence.

So, I emailed the Parts Manager, "Hey, just bought a car from your dealership. I change my own oil and want to do it right. Will you give me a discount on a couple hundred dollars worth of Mazda brand oil and filters?"

No response.

So, we are at the dealer yesterday and I seek him out. He says, "I don't carry any oil in quart bottles for re-sale. We buy all our oil in bulk." [My antenna get an erection]. "We use only Valvoline at all of Ray's dealerships because they sponsor his (NHRA) race team." Oh. Really!

Last edited:
My experience has been that a lot of dealerships don't even use the oil recommended in the owners manual. It's whatever they can get the best deal on. Many times it's a generic brand like Preferred Choice or other names you may have never heard of.

There is a place that sells the Mazda oil and supplies online called Med Center Mazda. Amazon also has it. Otherwise Castrol, M1, or Pennzoil will all suit that CX-3 just fine.

PimTac, Med Center is a good find. Probably not any cheaper than the $7.31/qt they offer.... https://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-moly-oil-0w20.html and free shipping if spending over a $100.
IndyDriver, using Valvoline at the dealer would be OK, yet the high-moly Genuine Mazda stuff is special. I guess Mazda doesn't require anything other than just good 0w20 API-approved SN-GF5. Valvoline is dexos1, so its really better than SN-GF5 anyway.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
The oil pump is a two stage electric pump from what I have gathered here and there.

Based upon what I've seen under my own hood and in the cutaway engine views I think it is driven by the timing chain.

Confirmed. The oil pump may be electronically controlled, but it is driven by the timing chain.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
My experience has been that a lot of dealerships don't even use the oil recommended in the owners manual. It's whatever they can get the best deal on. Many times it's a generic brand like Preferred Choice or other names you may have never heard of.

There is a place that sells the Mazda oil and supplies online called Med Center Mazda. Amazon also has it. Otherwise Castrol, M1, or Pennzoil will all suit that CX-3 just fine.
PimTac, Med Center is a good find. Probably not any cheaper than the $7.31/qt they offer.... https://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-moly-oil-0w20.html and free shipping if spending over a $100.
IndyDriver, using Valvoline at the dealer would be OK, yet the high-moly Genuine Mazda stuff is special. I guess Mazda doesn't require anything other than just good 0w20 API-approved SN-GF5. Valvoline is dexos1, so its really better than SN-GF5 anyway.

Thank you! This is exactly what I've been looking for. They aren't the cheapest but very convenient. With free shipping and no sales tax, the price gap is not that great. Order placed. The packages are great-for example 5 oil filters with washers and a cap wrench. I'm going with at least two oil changes with Mazda oil, not so much because Mazda recommends it but because it is so highly regarded here. I'll probably switch over to M1 after the first two OCs.

Its funny how US has everything backwards. In Europe this same engine requires a 5w30 or 5w40. Stupid fuel saving laws in US.

Our US owner's manual calls for 0W-20 only for US, Canada, and PR cars. Mexico cars call for 5W-30.

Good to hear that will work for you. The Mazda oil not only has a huge chunk of moly but a big portion of boron as well. It is a stout oil for a 0w-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back