2017 Sonata 6 speed - Sealed Unit Good For 100K ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So , now Hyundai touts that the Sonata 6 speed transmission filled with SP4-M does not require servicing until after 100K miles ? ... Really ? I call [censored] and say how ironic - just when the warrantee is up is how long the ATF is good for . *How many with a similar *sealed unit will change out ATF early and if so what is your ATF change interval ?

*Hyundai 6 speed not really sealed : No dipstick but does have fill hole up top , drain plug on the bottom and a leveler / over fill plug on bottom .

I plan to change the trans fluid (drain and fill) on our 2014 Sonata at 30,000 miles. YouTube has video. Looks easy.

I don't believe in filled for life transmissions either. My Liberty was shipped with a cap on the dipstick tube saying dealer service only it. The fluid, ATF+4 is supposed to last over 100K miles in that application. Yea right is what I said. In 56K miles I changed it twice, at 60K I will do it a third time.

My BMW has a sealed lifetime transmission. I changed it out at 100k miles and it shifts better afterwards.

My opinion is that it could last a lifetime of the car, there are people that never change it, but it's better for the transmission to change it.

Toyota said the ATF in my RAV4 was a lifetime fluid and I had it changed at least twice in 160kmiles. The local indy Yo shop said they had to buy a special extractor because the ATF was so difficult to remove, never checked them on that but didn't have any special reason to doubt them...I was not in DIY mode at that point and they were going to get it out for me no matter what.

Every tranny is sealed, othewise there would be oil everywhere. The lifetime of the tranny is reduced when a single fill is used. Marketing terms. 100k seems excessive, I had mine done at 50 on the IS, the transsy wasnt happy for a while, but thats WS...

Last edited:
The idea of a "sealed" unit is probably to keep the service cost down for the new car buyer. How many people keep a car for 100K miles or more? Not too many, that's for sure. The new car buyer in most cases will never see a transmission service. Many other service intervals are at 100K miles or more, like spark plugs, timing belts, and serpentine belts.

If you buy a used car at somewhere around or just over 100K miles you can bet that without documentation none of these services have been done no matter what the seller claims. That will be a $1,000 to $2,500 or more hit depending on the vehicle.

I would definitely do an ATF change somewhere around 36K-50Kmi if it's got an easy means to do so. IMO, the sealed for life term means you're OK till 100K miles, beyond that is anyone's guess.

What is MTF ?
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
I dont belive in "lifetime" fills...

Change your MTF at aprox. 90kkms
ATF at aprox. 60kkms

For those that changed a "lifetime" fill at 50K ~ 60K miles - what shape was the ATF in ? For a new vehicle would it not be better to do a drain & fill with ATF earlier (i.e. 30K miles) to remove break in crud ?)

The transmission in my 2017 Explorer, the 6F35, is so wonderful
smirk.gif
it doesn't require any service for 150,000 miles according to Ford and it's "sealed". The dealer informed me that they could not do a drain and fill because it's sealed, only a "flush". I took it home and did a drain and fill with Motorcraft Mercon LV for $20. It was supper easy to do on this vehicle. I did this at 12,000 miles and posted here a picture of the old and new Mercon LV. I did this latter August. I believe it posted under "Motorcraft Mercon LV at 12,000 miles". I really should send the dealer a thank you card, they saved me a lot of money
lol.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
For those that changed a "lifetime" fill at 50K ~ 60K miles - what shape was the ATF in ? For a new vehicle would it not be better to do a drain & fill with ATF earlier (i.e. 30K miles) to remove break in crud ?)

I had it done at my local indy so couldn't attest to the fluid's color etc. But the vehicle never shifted poorly. I was just antsy to get it done because of the miles.

What does anyone know about the newer Hyundai SP4-M ATF ? Does anyone (other tha Hyundai) offer a good SP4-M ATF equivelant ? All I know is that it is an upgraded synthetic ATF now (versus the older SPIII , SPIV versions) .

One of these days I'll get around to doing mine, I'm at 66k miles. Original coolant too, that's on the list as well.

Thanks for the link to the video wemay.

I only buy the concept of "lifetime" anything when it comes with a lifetime warranty (my lifetime, not the manufacturer's planned obsolescence lifetime) to back it up...

50K-60K has always been my go to on any transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back