When did Pennzoils price skyrocket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a quick search and didn't see anything, even a normal google search. Whats up with the price of pennzoil platinum now?? $45 on amazon, $42.99 at walmart? This has been my go-to for the Hyundai turbo I change the oil for for the past 45k miles. My research awhile ago showed that PP met the requirements by Hyundai. I use to pay about $20 for it.

I'm probably going to switch to Castrol 5w30 edge now, as it also meets the requirements from what I can tell. but man, Pennzoil doubling the price of their product for that yellow bottle? yikes.

The Ultra Platinum has been astronomical for a while. It seemed to have escalated when the Mobil-1 AP was introduced.

The regular Pennzoil Platinum is still in the $25 range and and excellent choice. At my Wal-Mart the Mobil-1 products have been reduced to around $22 per jug. I personally choose to stick with one product so I'm using Quaker State Ultimate Durability. It's always cost effective and seems to be an excellent product.

It isn't up here, and that's saying something. It sounds like Walmart and Amazon shenanigans, particularly with people who have difficulty finding it locally. Sounds like big retail doing us another one of their "favours."

It did jump in price. Walmart just had the 5W-30 on sale for $25 for 5/qt bottles but they are sold out now. I bought four to keep me through the winter. Nothing wrong with any of the top-tier brands though. Just pick a flavor and run with it.

Hmm, just paid $18.14 for a 5 qt bottle of Pennzoil Gold 0W20. That doesn't really seem too high at all.

Actually, it was lower than all the other 0W20 choices I saw.

It is right in line with the competition IMO. I'm still able to get PU for under $25 for a 5 quart jug, and PP less than that. They also have a pretty good rebate going on if my memory is serving me correctly.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It is right in line with the competition IMO. I'm still able to get PU for under $25 for a 5 quart jug, and PP less than that. They also have a pretty good rebate going on if my memory is serving me correctly.

Where at? even my local pep boys has PP for $38.

use QSUD, almost the same thing and almost free after rebate (while supplies last at AAP). I had very good results with that oil (mentioned in my magnetic plug post).

I was in Walmart Saturday and jugs of PP were $22.XX. Same for M1. With the $10 rebate, that's cheap enough. Though not cheaper than the AAP clearances on QSUD at $8.95/jug or $2.15/qt (with $1.40/qt mfg rebate too). I'm stocked up on QSUD/M1. PP wasn't "cheap" enough at $2.49/qt net.

This is why I am not brand loyal someone always has good full synthetic on sale. I have NAPA Full Synthetic, Havoline ProDS Synthetic, Mobil 1, Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic , Castrol EDGE Full Synthetic, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Synthetic, Pennzoil Platinum. That and a couple more enough to do at least 2 OCI's I will not support price gouging. The average cost is well under 20 dollars a jug.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
This is why I am not brand loyal someone always has good full synthetic on sale.

+1

$25 for PP at Walmart here. It isn't even rolled back. Once it is, expect to see it for $22.

Not sure what Pennzoil's issue is. I got lucky and got (4) Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-20 5qt jugs on Walmart.com $19.70 something plus Pennzoil's rebate. Not going to be brand loyal and pay through the nose.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Where at? even my local pep boys has PP for $38.

I buy PU from WMT online 5 qt jugs, two or three at a time, they ship it to the house free. I buy enough to last me for a year or so, so if they're out of stock I have plenty of time for them to restock it. Last time I looked it was under $25. I've gotten it for less on a rollback.

Originally Posted By: wemay
$25 for PP at Walmart here. It isn't even rolled back. Once it is, expect to see it for $22.
I've seen it very recently for $23 at Walmarts in two states. That's not "skyrocketing."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back