Looks like Equifax was hacked by foreign nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your thread title is misleading.

The methods used were similar to what other countries have used, but this is not concrete.

brady_bunch.jpg

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Remember how someone posted here that we don't know yet if the equifax data is in the hands of criminals and the BITOG crowd jumped on that person?
He/she might be right, this could be a foreign spy operation to infiltrate the US cyberspace better.

here is the link: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/...-sponsored-pros

Your point being your info is still safe? It's (possibly) floating around a foreign country and they are just going to "keep it" and not do anything with it?

REALLY?
Besides amassing data on nearly every American adult,
the hackers also sought information on specific people. It's not clear exactly why, but there are at least two possibilities: They were looking for high-net-worth individuals to defraud, or they wanted the financial details of people with potential intelligence value.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Remember how someone posted here that we don't know yet if the equifax data is in the hands of criminals and the BITOG crowd jumped on that person?
He/she might be right, this could be a foreign spy operation to infiltrate the US cyberspace better.

here is the link: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/...-sponsored-pros

Your point being your info is still safe? It's (possibly) floating around a foreign country and they are just going to "keep it" and not do anything with it?

REALLY?
Besides amassing data on nearly every American adult,
the hackers also sought information on specific people. It's not clear exactly why, but there are at least two possibilities: They were looking for high-net-worth individuals to defraud, or they wanted the financial details of people with potential intelligence value.

"Intelligence Value". Well said. Just crossed my mind that if you combined this with data from the OPM hack a couple years ago.............well, that's not good.

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if many of the corporate hacks that have occurred in recent years were a play to get companies to start "protecting" themselves and employees with Equifax. That way they did not need to continue to hack companies. Simply take the data from one location, Equifax.

I can't see ransomware attacks really making that much money, but I do not know.

It depends what's held at ransom. If it's data that cannot be restored then the companies may be willing to pay the price that the criminals ask. But from my experience, these guys are flexible and are willing to negotiate the ransom amount.

The hacking of Equifax is simply outrageous. It's corporate negligence and they seem to have gotten not only away with the actual hack but also the executives selling their options once they learned about it.

Stuff like this has been happening for years, by no means am I an expert on this type of stuff but when it's state run they normally try to hide their intentions. They typically try and get info on high level government officials but if you just get those people your intentions would be fairly clear.

Seeing how the info hasn't been found out in the wild the odds of it being a state sponsored party is increasingly possible. That being said it could be the exact opposite tho. Only time will tell but the difference between a state power and a group of people is how they react to the news of the hack. Groups will try and sell as that is the point when the potential profits are higher. It takes time for people to become aware and if people lock their credit and monitor their credit reports the likelihood of a profit is diminished.

State sponsored entities try and hide it and confuse others of their intentions.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
State sponsored entities try and hide it and confuse others of their intentions.

Exactly. "The Russians" (whoever that is) aren't stupid enough to leave evidence that links it back to them, so of course they'll make it look like "The Chinese" (whoever that is) or someone else. If you think the US isn't doing the same thing, you're living in a fantasy world. Anyone with half a brain knows to cover their tracks and use deception.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
NK don't has the skillz

They don't have to, they just have to be able to afford someone that does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back