Small Tractor Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Massey Ferguson 16 garden tractor project that I picked at over a few years. Mostly complete, except for painting the wheels.

I came across this just sitting and I couldn't let it go to waste. I like the look, it is extremely well built (definitely don't make them like this anymore..at least not the mass market brands), and has a low range that is perfect for moving the boat trailer around the driveway and moving project cars in and out of the barn. I did some mechanical work, metal and paint, located some original lemses & trim, as well as fabricated a new stack exhaust as the original is NLA. The repro nose piece is not a great fit, but not a lot of choice there.

Wow, looks awesome!

I've been wanting a new (old) project for Tractor pulls and fun, but haven't had the time.

It looks great!

It's from back in the day when garden tractors were real machines.... not the stamped sheet-metal garbage being sold by big-box stores nowadays.

Of course, back then they also cost $5,000 equivalent to today's money, also.

You did a beautiful job on it!

Looks like the MF16 (if that's what yours is) was produced only in 1975 and 76. Is yours built by AMF? It's been a while since I was in the hobby, but I used to be quite active over at MyTractorForum and TractorByNet.

Very cool! I've been gathering parts to do a similar restoration on a JD 110 garden tractor that belonged to my family. Hard, hard use from 1966 (new) until about 1995 (broke a piston ring), then was shoved in a corner and sat ever since. Already have a second Kohler K181 to go in and parts to rebuild the original, most of the other original parts just need cleaning and re-finishing.

Very nice! I wanted to find an old lawn tractor like that but they are asking silly prices in my area. That's great it got a low range for the hydrostat, how do you find it works? I've got one on my cheapo lawn mower and its got some impressive ratio "slippage" so going up and down hills results in quite a bit different speeds.
In my 40hp CUT the hydrostat works very well with no real ratio slippage at all and I'm very glad I went with the HST in it.

Looks great. I like the look of the Massey. I sold my 1964 JD 110 last year, and seeing your Massey is giving me a bit of "sellers remorse" !

I have one of those as well, with all the implements. They are GREAT! tractors, congrats on the score
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the comments all. Yes, this is a '75 MF16 made by AMF. To the hydro question, I haven't noticed it losing too much speed up inclines, but I have not had too much seat time in it yet.

Funny, I've had more comments about the carpets under the vehicles in my pics....a good friend is in the flooring business and I get old samples, scraps, etc. Great floor protectors under leaky vehicles.

Very nice. Great job. Living on a farm for the first 23 years of my life, I would love to find a project like that (but would also need $ and time). I would like to find an old Massey (always had Massey combines), or old Cub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back