Two new Full-Syn Magnatec oils for Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

SR5

In Australia for about the last year we have had one full synthetic Castrol Magnatec "Stop-Start" 5W-30 that was API SN and ACEA A3/B3 & A3/B4.
Density = 0.856
KV100 = 12.2 cSt
KV40 = 70 cSt
VI = 168
PP = -36 C
FP = 205 C
SA = 1.1 %

Now we have two new full synthetic Castrol Magnatec oils to join the one above. I noticed their appearance on the Castrol web page a few weeks ago, but I spotted them in the wild today at Repco.

Castrol Magnatec 5W-40, full synthetic, it's API SN/CF and ACEA A3/B3 & A3/B4.
Density = 0.856
KV100 = 14 cSt
KV40 = 86 cSt
VI = 170
PP = -36 C
FP = 193 C
SA = 1.25 %

Castrol Magnatec "Stop-Start" 5W-30 A5, full synthetic, it's API SN/CF, ACEA A1/B1 & A5/B5, Ford WSS-M2C913-C/D, ILSAC GF-4 (yes four) and says "For use with Ford Ranger and Mustang Vehicles".
Density = 0.84
KV100 = 9.8 cSt
KV40 = 53 cSt
VI = 164
PP = -39 C
FP = 207 C
SA = 1.24 %

Note the massive Sulphated Ash % on the 5W30 A5 and that it is GF-4 not GF-5 even though it meets the much more rigorous Euro A5/B5 standard. A regular Dexos1 & GF-5 oil would have a SA of about 0.8%.

The 5W30 A5 is a Ford WSS-M2C913-D oil and so is Valvoline SynPower 5W30 FE. This SynPower is API SL and A5/B5 with a TBN of 10 and KV100 = 9.9 cSt (no SA% is given).

Both Ford oils are Euro A5/B5 but only API SL or ILSAC GF-4, to me this means they probably carry extra ZDDP to meet the Ford requirements, but this pushes them into SL & GF-4 territory, rather than the usual SN & GF-5.

Anyway looks like a few good oils to me.

It is interesting that it meets acea A1/B1 wich is "obsolete"
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
It is interesting that it meets acea A1/B1 wich is "obsolete"
smile.gif

It is closed for new claims, but you can continue with existing claims until the end of 2018.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Both Ford oils are Euro A5/B5 but only API SL or ILSAC GF-4, to me this means they probably carry extra ZDDP to meet the Ford requirements, but this pushes them into SL & GF-4 territory, rather than the usual SN & GF-5.

That is strange. GF-4 is obsolete, and SN indicates it should be GF-5. I have seen high SA ILSAC lubes, but that one might be a little high.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: SR5

That is strange. GF-4 is obsolete, and SN indicates it should be GF-5. I have seen high SA ILSAC lubes, but that one might be a little high.
wink.gif

Yes, this doesn't make sense to me.

Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 is API SL rated and Castrol clearly say that it's meets SN quality but it has elevated Zinc / Phos levels and hence must be classified as an SL oil.

So the Magnatec 5W30 A5 above would make more sense if it was A5/B5 and SL (rather than GF-4).

Go figure.

Yes, I've seen the meeting SN wear claims business before, which does make sense, because obviously a few people might be worried about an oil that is SL or older, when in reality, it's a 5w-30 or 0w-30 and has little choice if it's got elevated phosphorus. But, that's a strange one, and Castrol usually doesn't make flubs like that.

Nice to have another candidate for the old Bimmer next Oil Change - as long as I can get it cheap!

Originally Posted By: B320i
Nice to have another candidate for the old Bimmer next Oil Change - as long as I can get it cheap!

The Magnatec 5W40 A3/B4 would be a nice oil for your BMW, but I don't think it will be as cheap as that Valvoline EngineArmour 15W40 semi-synthetic you are using now.

BTW you can often find EngineArmour at BigW stores at a fairly good everyday price. I got some Valvoline Zerex coolant there the other day, it was priced better than the usual autostores. BigW for Valvoline and KMart for Shell oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back