Dumb things you've done with tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was using my air powered die grinder and was like man, what's up with this thing I was cutting these bolts off the other day like butter. I checked the air compressor and it showed 120psi, so I was like oh well and kept going at the same bolt for 2 minutes straight after giving up and moving on to something else I find my trailer is parked on the hose after I put everything away. Lol

I decided to cut a piece of 3/8" bar stock while holding it with my hand and only wearing safety squints. The bench vice and face shield were 2' away, but I figured I would just do it quick.

The bar stock ended up cutting my upper lip completely in half when it got sucked into the tool and was subsequently thrown into my face.

One day I was using a large powerful right angle 7-inch DeWalt grinder to grind some diamond plate steel. DW494 to be exact. I wasn't holding onto the side handle like I should have. Instead, I was pressing down as hard as I could on the gearbox. The grinder dug into the edge of the diamond plate and then catapulted itself into my left arm. Lost a lot of blood that day. Sustained severe nerve damage. Almost lost my arm.

Once I got a half rounded off bolt stuck in my socket and instead of clamping the socket in a vice and tapping the bolt out with a hammer and old screw driver. I ended up putting the screw driver through the palm of my hand by slamming the screw driver through the socket. I missed the socket.

It seems that just about every time I weld, I grab the metal I was just welding without gloves on and burn the $#!% out of my hand. Sometimes several times in the same day. Did it once yesterday.

Also, I for some reason always set things up high. The hammer, socket wrench, tape measure etc. like on the wall, storage room roof, car roof, shelf and then search all around for it.

I'm an idiot.

Next week we shall begin a tool safety course..Like how to wear safety goggles, how to wear gloves, how to use a vice, and so on,,,lol.....no tools will be issued at that time...lol

Last edited:
I drilled my left index finger to the bone over memorial day weekend. Found one of the studs that holds the strut to the fender mount on the Focus had snapped off. Pulled the strut out and decided to drill it out and rob one of the studs off of the OE struts.

First thing that came into my mind was how bad of an idea it was. Bit snapped and cut my finger real bad - right to the bone!

Then I figured the second best thing to do would be to tap it out with a hammer. Didn't even tap it hard and it fell out.

2#$@#$!!

These are the guys I take advice from? Man. Then again I'm just as dumb, so I guess I'm in the right place..

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
These are the guys I take advice from? Man. Then again I'm just as dumb, so I guess I'm in the right place..

Haha, hopefully people learn from our mistakes

Was under my Rav4 on Sunday to top off the transfer case. Finished that job and then took it to the drive through car wash down the street. When I got back home I decided to check the oil. Pop the hood and there is a bright light shining at me from under the engine. Look on the wall where I keep my fancy car repair flashlight and see it's not there. I left it under the engine. Very surprised it made it through the car wash and drive back and forth. It barely stays in place when I'm working on the car and had already fallen on the ground twice while I was working on the car that day.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'm an idiot.

Not even close to the idiot I am!
Ok yeah that was pretty bad
crackmeup2.gif

Dumbest thing I've done with tools is offered to fix coworkers cars. Thier junk was not easily repaired and it became my fault that it was not running right or was too expensive. After a couple of times I no longer volunteered.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Was under my Rav4 on Sunday to top off the transfer case. Finished that job and then took it to the drive through car wash down the street. When I got back home I decided to check the oil. Pop the hood and there is a bright light shining at me from under the engine. Look on the wall where I keep my fancy car repair flashlight and see it's not there. I left it under the engine. Very surprised it made it through the car wash and drive back and forth. It barely stays in place when I'm working on the car and had already fallen on the ground twice while I was working on the car that day.

I did this recently. Left my expensive snap-on magnetic base work light on top of the rear diff while replacing the rear shocks on my F250. Took me two days to remember when I last used it... it was still there after driving all over town.

Originally Posted By: Seventh
Leo99 said:
Left my expensive snap-on magnetic base work light on top of the rear diff while replacing the rear shocks on my F250. Took me two days to remember when I last used it... it was still there after driving all over town.

I did exactly this same thing

Another stupid thing I did with a tool was throw a 3/4" drive 1 3/8 Snap on socket out of my van at another car who blatantly cut me off in traffic I would never do that today Tools cost too much
Ah to be young and care free

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back