How do you oil your air tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put a few drops in when I start. If lightly used, that's it. If heavy ill put a drop in partway or after use.

3 or 4 drops of air tool oil before using that day. I don't regularly use one enough to require re-oiling.

I know others use 3-in-1 or MMO regularly with no ill effects. When the Senco bottle is empty in another decade, I might just put some MMO in it.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
How many drops of oil?
Before you start or after?
What oil do you like to use?

# of drops depends on the tool I am using.
Before and during.
No preference on pnuematic tool oil brand.

They do make auto oilers.

I would recommend a filter/water remover at the compressor if you don't already have one. Build it with a disconnect at both ends so you can remove and box it when transporting compressor or it risks breakage.

I am assuming you are draining the water at the end of each day and leaving the petcock open until next use.

How many drops of oil?
Before you start or after?
What oil do you like to use?

Maybe 4-5 drops. I don't really measure. Do it before I start. Sometimes after... I use the HF oil.

I also have the HF air tool cleaner which I use once and a while to keep them running well.

A few drops before use.

I'd like to use an auto-oiler, but hate having oil thru all my hoses that are also used in
other applications where oil is harmful.

Originally Posted By: AVB
It just makes a mess when it blows out the exhaust.

So it doesn't gum anything up?

I use whatever used synthetic oil is just around.

New oil doesn't seem to make any difference.

I usually add a couple drops before use.

If you aren't getting *SOME* oil puking out the exhaust once in a while, you aren't using enough oil.

I hold the trigger down and pour in about 5 drops or more. Then I hook up the air hose and pull the trigger. Usually at that moment, there's a plume of oil mist that shoots out the exhaust.

Originally Posted By: AVB
It just makes a mess when it blows out the exhaust.

So it doesn't gum anything up?

No. Like he said, usually you'll see excess blow out if you look for it.

Motor oil of whatever type is in the oiler. About every 8 hours of use or so ...

Been doing that for close to 50 years. If a tool dies, it's usually because they got left outside, fell overboard, or was overused/abused. Never because of lube failure ...

Three drops of air tool oil down the spout, once right before using. If I'm going at it for hours I'll do it again.

I got warned off of motor oil by the helpful IR rep who helped me sort out my previous compressor system's performance issues with my then-new IR impact gun. I tore the impact gun down to thoroughly clean it out. It was replacing the restrictive quick release connector with a good one a little later that finally made the biggest difference. But while still on restrictive airflow, I could measure the results with my 1/2" beam torque wrench, and oil type did make a small but measurable difference.

Sure it'll work and won't harm the tool, but motor oil is dragging it down, and proper air tool oil will free up some power. Most guys overcome this by dialing in another 10 or 20 PSI and go about their merry way. I might use motor oil again in a pinch, but proper air tool is cheap and common enough that there's no savings, or reason not to. Heck, even Walmart sells it.

Most people do it backwards by oiling before they use the tool. I try to oil my air tools AFTER I'm done using them, and run them a second to help displace moisture, instead of storing a wet tool. That way it is ready to go when I get ready to use it next time. I always drain the air tank before startup too, even though I have a refrigerated air dryer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HangFire
Three drops of air tool oil down the spout, once right before using. If I'm going at it for hours I'll do it again.

+1

The type of oil is Coilhose Pneumatics ATL016.

Originally Posted By: Traction
Most people do it backwards by oiling before they use the tool. I try to oil my air tools AFTER I'm done using them, and run them a second to help displace moisture, instead of storing a wet tool. That way it is ready to go when I get ready to use it next time. I always drain the air tank before startup too, even though I have a refrigerated air dryer.

That is a "best practice" and what I've done for decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back