Replacing PS Pump - Seal kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I am replacing the power steering pump on my Mitsubishi 6A12 engine with a second hand unit.

Do I need any other parts during this process, for example a seal kit etc?

There is a small leak from one of the hoses that goes in or out of the pump (I don't know what hoses do what so can't say)

If the unit is indeed used and not rebuilt, I'd rebuild it before installing it. If it was rebuilt, the bearing and seals should be new. Replacement bearing and seal kits are not expensive.

In fact, why not rebuild yours instead of getting a 2nd one? It is a simple process.

I am not sure if mine has suffered any damage as it caused the belt to snap.

The replacement one is cheap so I rather start with that as a base just in case.

I've had a look at the OEM rebuild parts and they are pretty expensive so at this stage as that car is rarely used I am willing to have a second hand unit there which if it lasts even 5,000 miles I am happy.

I don't know about prices for you, but in the US you can get a decent seal kit delivered for under $15, and a bearing for $10 or less. I'd rebuild it for that small amount so you can be confident it will work reliably, and for a very long time. If your's seized and the pulley doesn't turn, then it is smart to get another base unit like you did.

Originally Posted By: Spetz
Hi everyone,

I am replacing the power steering pump on my Mitsubishi 6A12 engine with a second hand unit.

Do I need any other parts during this process, for example a seal kit etc?

There is a small leak from one of the hoses that goes in or out of the pump (I don't know what hoses do what so can't say)

I've rebuilt several power steering pumps, mostly Saginaw units, and every one had seals that were "set" (hard and flat). I agree with the others on here who recommend re-sealing your used pump before installing it. Very simple and inexpensive cheap insurance.

If there's an O-ring or seal to be replaced, the new pump should include any o-rings/seals/washers for the inlet/outlet.

If you can get an aftermarket kit for cheap, I'd reseal the OEM pump as a CYA. I think someone in Australia can import parts from Japan, I know the Soarer guys have stuff sent over quite a bit. I've used a Plews/Gates kit with success in the past. I prefer OEM, and sometimes you can find a TransTec kit on eBay - TransTec is from an OEM supplier(Freudenberg-NOK).

Also, did you check the condition of the hose end fittings on the inlet and outlet lines? For most Japanese cars, a banjo fitting is on the high-pressure side and a bolt-on flange nipple is used on the feed line. The o-ring on the feed(inlet) does leak, and many Japanese pumps have a threaded fitting on the high-pressure outlet side that uses an o-ring to seal the fitting and pump junction in some cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back