Judder/delay in shifts-'15 MKC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2015 MKC 2.3l that's been pretty flawless. In at 74k miles now and very recently noticed a slight judder when the auto trans shifts. Doesn't seem to be limited to one gear or during cold but it's not constant. Just seems to happen periodically when the trans shifts. Fluid's never been changed that I know of. I think Ford just calls for inspection of level at service intervals so far. I haven't actually had the car in for a factory service since the beginning of the year, when I was at about 45k miles. The only in depth thread I've found on hear about eh MKC references a PTU issue. But digging seems to point to someone confusing the MKC with the MKX and other Lincolns that had that issue. Doesn't seem to be a thing in the 'C. I've never had a quick change place do a "flush." But I'm wondering if that may actually be warranted in this case? Like maybe a stuck valve or something? I've seen a FEW posts about undefilled fluid in 2015 and older Escapes. I hate my dealer's service dept but I suppose I COULD go to them....Any thoughts?

I follow Ford on nothing to do with fluids = change that LV ATF

Last edited:
Same vehicle as Escape, yes. Don't know if the transmission is the same one as in the 2.0l base engine that's also available in the Escape but probably.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Yup, time for fluid change. Changing out pan fluid/filter and/or complete system could help your shudder. If that doesn't do it, I'd replace 12 oz of fluid with the recommended Lubriguard. Ford's guidance for my Linc Continental trans was every 30K miles. Many who have owned multiple cars suggest more like 15K-20K miles.

Is that the trans with the filters that need the trans to be disasembled? Clean oil is happy oil.

Fluid changes are good but that won't fix your problem. Disconnect your negative battery cable and jumper it to your positive battery cable for a few minutes. This will reset the adaptive shift strategy and it will probably drive like new.
34.gif

The transaxles, specifically. Transmissions are good.

Interesting that the GM version of this trans is fine.

I didn't think this is one of the ones they collaborated w/ GM on. Is it?

TBH, I'm not easy on this little cute ute. So no telling how much is my fault. I bought it 2 years ago this week and already have almost 75k miles on it. Mostly highway, but I'm pretty good at mashing the accelerator to the floor in it. I'm not the typical Lincoln driver. I was still in my 30's when I bought it. I only did so b/c I'd just had back surgery and my wife thought ingress and egress in my '14 Mustang GT would not be good for the long term health of my lumbar. I guess it's her loss if I end up ditching her for a silver haired hottie for a hot date for the nearest early bird special.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: 4WD

Yup, time for fluid change. Changing out pan fluid/filter and/or complete system could help your shudder. If that doesn't do it, I'd replace 12 oz of fluid with the recommended Lubriguard. Ford's guidance for my Linc Continental trans was every 30K miles. Many who have owned multiple cars suggest more like 15K-20K miles.

I have the same engine in my 2017 Explorer and the transmission has no pan, just a drain plug, as I suspect his does also. To change the the transmission filter the transmission has to be removed and the case split. I'd suggest doing a couple of drain and fills. Ford's 150,000 mile first service on these transmissions is a bad joke. I do mine cold. I measure what comes out and put back the same. I don't have a dip stick on mine, just a fill port with a cap. It's actually real easy to do it this way using ramps.

Whimsey

Yeah, a drain and fill should be no problem, I guess. Although not as fun as on my old SAAB 900 manual trans that required motor oil, lol. I just wanted to check and see if everyone thought that was a good first step or pointless.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Yeah, a drain and fill should be no problem, I guess. Although not as fun as on my old SAAB 900 manual trans that required motor oil, lol. I just wanted to check and see if everyone thought that was a good first step or pointless.

Just make sure you use a fluid rated for Mercon LV.

Whimsey

I didn't think this is one of the ones they collaborated w/ GM on. Is it?

Yes, 6F35 = 6T70.

TBH, I'm not easy on this little cute ute. So no telling how much is my fault... I'm pretty good at mashing the accelerator to the floor in it. I'm not the typical Lincoln driver.

Your transmission is confused because it doesn't know if you're road racing or if you want a Lincoln. It's going to command very harsh shifts if it learns that you're going to be mashing the gas. Do the procedure which I described where you touch the disconnected ground terminal to the positive terminal. Then it will re-learn your driving habits and it will drive smooth as butter until you start mashing the gas again, at which point it will act like it has a shift kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back