Question about Break Free CLP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really am not trying to start a "favorite lube" thread, but I'm in the process of researching what I want to use on my new rifle. Switched over the BF CLP a couple years ago for everything (although I do like wiping the outside of my hunting guns with fluid film), so this brought back to the surface some old questions about the break-free. Now I have my own anecdotal experiences but I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on specifics.

Originally Posted By: https://www.safariland.com/products/holsters-and-gear/gun-cleaning-kits-and-components/cleaners-and-solvents/gun-lubricants-and-protectants/clp-cleaner-lubricant-and-preservative-15337.html#sm.000010cyhq5u2pfqlx3d5dwhqkt87

Performs in temperatures ranging from -65˚F to +475˚F, and after saltwater immersion
Reduces metal-to-metal wear by protecting treated surfaces with an advanced boundary film
Does not deteriorate under high temperatures and extreme pressure - other brands may contain wax-based materials that will degrade and solidify into a gummy residue
Displaces and loosens residue and contaminants from bearing areas
Protects metals with special rust inhibitors

CLEANS: Break Free CLP has a special cleaning action that breaks loose dirt and corrosion that can damage metal. Special penetrating formula displaces trapped grit and frees sticky, rusted, or corroded mechanisms.

LUBRICATES: Break Free CLP has superior lubricating qualities that keeps parts working smoothly. CLP’s proprietary formula contains multiple ingredients including specially treated PTFE for improved boundary film strength that reduces friction, retards wear, and stops build-up of foreign matter.

PRESERVES: Break Free CLP provides a long-lasting protective coating that shields all metals from rust and corrosion.

Now, what I'm curious about is kind of two fold. First, does anybody know what type of oil this actually is? TO borrow from the PCMO hype what group base stock? In other words, is the oil actually quality? Secondly, any idea on the additives used to achieve their stated properties? Are we talking about some detergents, or some solvents? Something else? Has anybody seen a VOA type test of this (or any gun oil)?

Breakfree CLP has a ton of solvent in it. Its a decent lube, and honestly, its my favorite lube for .22LR guns since they are dirty, and the solvent breaks down the gunk and keeps them running longer.

Obviously your climate is different from my climate. I run a heavy viscosity, thicker lube in my AR platform rifles. The Breakfree CLP does work in them here, but I find that you have to reapply the lube every couple hundred rounds as the intense heat makes the the lube disappear.

My favorite AR lubes are:

Breakfree LP (not CLP)
Slip 2000 EWL
ALG very thin grease
TW25B grease
G96 synthetic CLP
Weaponshield CLP
M Pro 7 CLP

My HONEST advice, for your location?

G96 synthetic CLP for winter
Any of the other above lubes for summer

Breakfree CLP will freeze and become gummy in a Michigan winter, according to some test I have seen. G96 synthetic CLP will still flow and be fluid. Its a superior "winter" firearms lube, than Breakfree CLP.

Breakfree CLP is not approved by the military for use on guns any more. Not sure why, but I dont think they could meet their newest specification. If you care about such things.

Originally Posted By: buck91
....Now, what I'm curious about is kind of two fold. First, does anybody know what type of oil this actually is? TO borrow from the PCMO hype what group base stock? In other words, is the oil actually quality? Secondly, any idea on the additives used to achieve their stated properties? Are we talking about some detergents, or some solvents? Something else? Has anybody seen a VOA type test of this (or any gun oil)?

These questions are hard to answer for 2 reasons. 1.) Most every "CLP" on the market is different. 2.) Most all of them don't, or else won't divulge the actual makeup of their product. Aside from saying things like, "Reduces metal-to-metal wear by protecting treated surfaces with an advanced boundary film." Or else, "Does not deteriorate under high temperatures and extreme pressure." All of which translates into nothing but advertising hype and B.S. So it's all but impossible to ascertain any kind of quality standard from what they're telling you.

CPL basically stands for Clean / Lubricate / Protect. An "all in one" type of product, that was conceived for military use. It was designed as a product a soldier could carry that would do everything. And as we all know, every time you try to multi task a single product to do several different things at once. It does each of them with marginal success. We are not soldiers that use our guns as combat weapons on a battlefield. Most of the time they are simply range toys. So why should we limit ourselves to a single product when we service them, from the comfort of our air conditioned homes and "man caves"? It's not that difficult for us to keep specific cleaners / solvents / greases / and lubricants on one shelf. And use them as needed. We don't require a single use product as a soldier does. Which is the only advantage a CLP type of product offers.

All of these CLP products will perform reasonably well. While none will "hurt" your weapon, there are other products that will perform specific tasks better. So for the civilian who uses his guns as a hunting or recreational tool, CLP's aren't really necessary. You can do better shopping at your local Auto Zone.

Break Free CLP is kind of like WD40, I actually use it in place of WD40 most of the time. From what I have read over the years it is much better as a protectant than a cleaner or lube. On guns I really only use it for a quick wipe down.

Breakfree CLP works decently as a cleaner and lube and you'll shoot the barrel out before the slightly inferior lubricating properties of the Breakfree formula cause a real problem.

Breakfree CLP does work really great as a rust preventative. I had a purported 'gunsmith' steal an AK that was recovered from a chicken shed. Other stolen guns stored there were rusted all over, many with heavy pitting. My AK that had been coated with CLP has a very small area of surface rust that wiped away.

BSW

I use it as a cleaner but always lube with real synth oil or grease after the gun is clean
CLP claims to be many things and will suffice lubing guns like Glocks but all metal guns
need more IMO esp 1911s

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Breakfree CLP has a ton of solvent in it. Its a decent lube, and honestly, its my favorite lube for .22LR guns since they are dirty, and the solvent breaks down the gunk and keeps them running longer.

Obviously your climate is different from my climate. I run a heavy viscosity, thicker lube in my AR platform rifles. The Breakfree CLP does work in them here, but I find that you have to reapply the lube every couple hundred rounds as the intense heat makes the the lube disappear.

My favorite AR lubes are:

Breakfree LP (not CLP)
Slip 2000 EWL
ALG very thin grease
TW25B grease
G96 synthetic CLP
Weaponshield CLP
M Pro 7 CLP

My HONEST advice, for your location?

G96 synthetic CLP for winter
Any of the other above lubes for summer

Breakfree CLP will freeze and become gummy in a Michigan winter, according to some test I have seen. G96 synthetic CLP will still flow and be fluid. Its a superior "winter" firearms lube, than Breakfree CLP.

Breakfree CLP is not approved by the military for use on guns any more. Not sure why, but I dont think they could meet their newest specification. If you care about such things.

Breakfree had a version that was stripped of approval when the Teflon was emulsified in the mixture. But their "rev D" version is approved by the military.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back