We're done, Motorcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally bought a proper oil filter cutter for another project, and opened up the Motorcraft FL-820S that came off our Mercury Mariner 3.0L V6 last weekend. Visible tear as shown in the pic. ~5700 mile OCI running Motorcraft 5W-30 synthetic blend, the usual Summer oil for this vehicle since it passed 100K miles.

Last edited:
Of all the Motorcraft filters, the 820 seems to be the odd-man-out in terms of construction and reliability. 400s, 910s, 500s, etc.. all seem to be good.. but the 820 seems plagued with tears, etc..

My gut says it's because of its diameter, and MC not building in enough pleats, or using more robust media, to make up for the increased diameter.

How many months old to log 5,700 miles.

Hopefully you will send your complaint to Ford Motorcraft Customer Service and not just complain here since you can only effect change if they are made aware of your reason.

Thanks for posting your experience.

I had an FL820S tear on me also. After this event I started cutting all my used oil filters open. Ford Motorcraft just blew off my report. However, I would report it regardless.

Ouch! I'm just going to stick with my XG2s.
eek.gif

Off-topic slightly but I cut open two FL-910s filters this week and they were both perfect at 5,000 mile intervals. I believe the problem here is with the specific product number - FL-820S.

I also would find a different filter to use if you're seeing tears. There's no reason to accept this design flaw from any company just to keep the Motorcraft logo on your engine.

I recently went to an open house at the local NAPA. While there, they had several new filters including an FL820 cut open.

There was such a huge spot between pleats at the seam I could fit my fingertip in it.

I was most impressed with the NAPA Platinum, both in filter media and its construction.

Just over 4 months: April-August. I sent the pics and explanatory text to [email protected] but not finding an email address for Ford.com as yet. Not optimistic that this will change things.

I'll cut open the new-in-box Motorcraft FL-820S I have sitting on the shelf next weekend and see what's inside, it's not going on the vehicle and unlikely I can find the receipt to return it. Also picking up a Fram XG2 to swap out the 820 that's on the vehicle now and will cut that one open for examination.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Hopefully you will send your complaint to Ford Motorcraft Customer Service and not just complain here since you can only effect change if they are made aware of your reason.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crainholio

I'll cut open the new-in-box Motorcraft FL-820S I have sitting on the shelf next weekend and see what's inside, it's not going on the vehicle and unlikely I can find the receipt to return it ...

You could always go to walmart and exchange it for a Fram or ST.

I have never been a fan of the Motorcraft filters. Definitely not holding up there. Thanks for the C&P.

That is very disappointing from MC.
I've liked them and used them often.
Not my go-to brand any longer (never been brand loyal, but do have "preferred" applications).

OTOH - what is the effect?
What has happened to the engine that we can tangibly quantify?
Any UOA data from this vehicle?

Is this desirable? NO!
Is it detrimental? Probably.
How "bad" is this? No one knows. (we know it's not good; we don't know the magnitude of "bad" in terms of true effects on the engine)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

How "bad" is this? No one knows. (we know it's not good; we don't know the magnitude of "bad" in terms of true effects on the engine)

I have wondered about that a lot. I have asked that question here before. I hate the tears, but I still think 80-90% of the oil still passes through the media. Certainly not desirable, but very likely not catastrophic, either.

Originally Posted By: crainholio
Just over 4 months: April-August. I sent the pics and explanatory text to [email protected] but not finding an email address for Ford.com as yet. Not optimistic that this will change things.

I'll cut open the new-in-box Motorcraft FL-820S I have sitting on the shelf next weekend and see what's inside, it's not going on the vehicle and unlikely I can find the receipt to return it. Also picking up a Fram XG2 to swap out the 820 that's on the vehicle now and will cut that one open for examination.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Well I am impressed that you pursued it as far as you did.

Maybe including that you are an active member of the premier lubricant forum on the Planet and you will be posting their response...or lack there of...could elicit a response? I don't know.

I have a used 820 sitting on my bench. I’ll have to cut it open. I still have three new ones.

I put a M1 filter on at last oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back