Needing a cheap set of tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in need of a set of cheap tires for my 2005 Envoy. Normally I am a Michelin tire person, but I cannot justify expensive tires for the Envoy. Its in good shape, has low miles (97,000) but its just something we use to pull our 2000lb popup camper and maybe the occasional use around town to keep the fluids moving. I went to Discount Tire, they had a tire called a "Provider H/T" for $76/tire and then I went to WalMart and they had a Dextero tire. I'm new to the world of off brand cheap tires. What would be my best option? I haven't ruled out getting a set of name brand tires from bestusedtires.com too, ive used them in the past with great results. I am interested to know what thoughts/recommendations would be.

I like the South Korean brands for cheap but still decent tires. Kumho or Nexen usually as Hankook has went up in price over the years.

I've had great luck with the Walmart sold Douglas tires, they're made by Goodyear and most are made right here in the USA! If they make one in your size I can highly recommend them!

Originally Posted By: cb_13
I like the South Korean brands for cheap but still decent tires. Kumho or Nexen usually as Hankook has went up in price over the years.

That and the way at least their OEM tires furnished with Hyundai / Kia are absolute garbage and typically wont last 40,000. Mine all scalloped in short order and got very loud. . Many other folks I know with hyundais never even saw 35000and hated theirs as I did.

You're never going to get consensus on tires. I think conditions matter more than great ratings. I went 50k on 20" Bridgestone Dueler alenzers thinking it was the best tire ever. My commute changed, those things wore out in a few months. Sidewall roll. I'm currently tweaking the suspension to get less roll, then replace the tires. So if I were to ask someone, they may rave about some tire, find out its all highway. Anyways, its helpful to know your conditions. Is the SUV constantly rolling over in corners where you live? Wearing out the edges prematurely? Or is it all flat and straight where you drive? That may help point you in the right direction for a tire, then cheap is another question.

I'd have a look for some younger used tires of good quality, if the vehicle isn't going to do many miles. Maybe something good will pop up.

The General Grabber HTS 60s seem to have quite good ratings. They are somewhat close to the ratings of the Michelins despite the low price tag. It appears that they are also having a $50 mail in rebate now as well. I personally have had good luck with my Generals, although they aren't the same tire.
Hopefully someone on here can chime in and give you a good review.

Discount Tire gave me a quote which included all of the fees and taxes before hand. When going to pay the price was actually $10 less. They really are a good place to purchase tires.

Originally Posted By: Dorian
The General Grabber HTS 60s seem to have quite good ratings. They are somewhat close to the ratings of the Michelins despite the low price tag. It appears that they are also having a $50 mail in rebate now as well. I personally have had good luck with my Generals, although they aren't the same tire.
Hopefully someone on here can chime in and give you a good review.

Discount Tire gave me a quote which included all of the fees and taxes before hand. When going to pay the price was actually $10 less. They really are a good place to purchase tires.

I recently had the new General Gmax AS 05's put on my wife Audi and they are very nice. They have very good steering response and wet grip.

If it's only needed to pull a pop up camper, your Odyssey should have no problem pulling it if you put a hitch on it. Then sell the Envoy.

Provider tires shouldn't be any issue though.

Some tire shops here in town have takeoffs where someone buys a new vehicle and then heads for the tire shop for new fancy rims and tires. Often tires are like new and can be had at a great price for your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If it's only needed to pull a pop up camper, your Odyssey should have no problem pulling it if you put a hitch on it. Then sell the Envoy.

Why sell the Envoy? They're ugly but good handling, nice ride, and relatively reliable. Source: owned one with over 200k and it never left me stranded.

Oh, and right before I sold it I scored for $300 a set of Trailblazer wheels in great condition and brand new generic "Triangle" tires (dumb name for something round, if you ask me) and they rode well with no road noise.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

We tried pulling the camper with the Odyssey. The Odyssey is rated at 3500lbs assuming 1 adult occupant in the car. After clothes, coolers, my family and a full water tank on the camper, the CAT scale had me over the GVWR for the Odyssey. Since it needs to last a long time, decided would be best not to mess with it. Got the Envoy just insanely cheap from someone whose mechanic told her it needed a new motor. Literally needed 6 spark plugs and a coil pack...runs absolutely perfectly.

Walmart Douglas tires are my latest favorite if they make the size you need. As much as I love TireRack or DTD, I won't buy from them again given I have no brick and mortar stores associated with them in the event you have issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back