Fram Ultra XG3614, 14,500 miles, cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on forum discussions and Jay Buckley from Fram's useful forum posts, I installed a Fram Ultra last year to solve consistent filter problems I have with this car (2002 Lexus ES). I ran it two OCI's. I am very pleased with the results as this car is very hard on filters (more below on that). Filter changes are a hassle also, and I was eager to see if it could go two OCIs. This filter was in from 11/26/16 until today, about 10 months and 14,500mi.

Run #1: 9,350mi on M1 10w-30 HM (this is the normal oil for the car; but slightly longer OCI than normal)
Run #2: 5,150mi on Castrol GTX 10w-30 (had some to use up)

In: Chevron/Havoline ProDS 10w30 for the next 7,500 (got it on a deep sale at O'Reillys this summer - after that, back to the M1 10w-30HM). Another Fram Ultra filter.

The pics:

9VgKjT3.jpg

Note varnish forming in can. ADBV very soft and pliable.

kfxT77N.jpg

Marks on the bottom are from the Dewalt saw I used to cut it open, not the filter.

Ikedoad.jpg

pQOLErt.jpg

Canister dome; varnish from I suspect the heat.

The last photo shows the varnish already forming inside the filter where the spring traps the oil a little bit. I suspect from the heat because of the poor filter placement on this engine (Toyota 1mz-fe). I had magnets around the filter body the last month, but there was no trace of anything inside the can. I also replaced the oil pan gasket today, so I threw a few magnets in the pan and I'll skip using them on the filter going forward.

I have rarely ever had a filter last a 7,500 mi OCI without starting to drain back because of the filter placement on this engine. It mounts horizontally into the block immediately under the exhaust header and immediately adjacent to the cat on that bank. I believe the heat cooks the ADBVs. I've had Wix, Motorcraft, and other quality filters routinely fail and start leaking down between 2k and 5k into the OCI. Motorcraft have generally been the worst at this; I used to use the FL-400S until the last one only lasted 2k before it leaked down each night. This worked perfectly for almost 15k, and the ADBV was very soft and pliable upon removal - much more pliable than other silicone ADBVs I have pulled out.

I'm very impressed with this filter and will probably run the next one 3 x 7,500mi OCIs. I really appreciate the time/hassle it saves and frankly, it's a bargain in my book.

3 x 7,500 mile oci is pushing it a little to far for any filter. I would go max 2 x 7,500 mile oci safely. Never heard of anyone sticking magnets inside the oil pan before. Let us know how that goes. I like to run them on the filter body itself near the opening. Works great.

It looks great, especially having been used under the conditions you've described. I wouldn't press my luck though with using it for 3 OCIs, especially under the conditions you mentioned.

Not to hijack the thread.

Good to know about the ADBV silicon valve condition since many OP users install the XG3614 filter on their 20+ hp riding lawn mowers and are concerned about long 100hr+ OCI on air-cooled engine that produce extreme 250+ F oil temperatures.

OP engines don't have the heat of a catalyst to deal with but I always wondered how the XG3614 held up and what are the heat-related damage/symptoms. Now I know.

Thank you for sharing.

Just installed a Fram Ultra on my moms car, I'm going to do 4 OCI's with just drain and refills.

She is 75 and only drives 5K miles a year. That means the oil filter will remain on for 4 years. I'm not kidding.

Originally Posted By: BlueOval83
3 x 7,500 mile oci is pushing it a little to far for any filter. I would go max 2 x 7,500 mile oci safely. Never heard of anyone sticking magnets inside the oil pan before. Let us know how that goes. I like to run them on the filter body itself near the opening. Works great.

Originally Posted By: BlueOval83

Based upon what?

15k ocis have been allowable on much simpler filters since the early 90s if not longer. Fram Ultra now claims 20k. There's certainly some margin built into that number.

I agree on oil filter body magnets, which ones do ulyou use for that?

Originally Posted By: deven
Fram Ultra=Best bang for the buck out there!
Royal Purple oil filters are practically as good. Heard of that company? Its got wire-backing too, silicon adbv valves, and they filter almost as good in ISO 4548-12 tests, probably comparable in actual use. The Ultra is hard to beat, yet one could use MicroGreen, RP, Amsoil EaO, Wix, or Mobil1 oil filters and do fine. ... Anything else isn't acceptable to me.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: deven
Fram Ultra=Best bang for the buck out there!
Royal Purple oil filters are practically as good. Heard of that company? Its got wire-backing too, silicon adbv valves, and they filter almost as good in ISO 4548-12 tests, probably comparable in actual use. The Ultra is hard to beat, yet one could use MicroGreen, RP, Amsoil EaO, Wix, or Mobil1 oil filters and do fine. ... Anything else isn't acceptable to me.

See the red above. Every filter you listed costs more than the Ultra.
Royal Purple, Microgreen, and Amsoil are all 50% or more in cost than a Fram Ultra.
Wix XP does not filter as well, Mobil 1 filters are synthetic blend media, and again, cost more than the Ultra.

The Ultra is the best bang for the buck filter out there @ regular price.
Most all are in the $8-10 range, and available at most any Walmart (if you don't like Walmart, then that is your problem).

I think the only complaint I have heard about the Ultra is the "thin" can, but never seen any actual comparison measurements to back it up.
Some complain about the price, but if you are only using it for 3-5000 miles, then it is a waste.

The GCOD ... "Gold Can of Delight". Looks good as always.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
See the red above. Every filter you listed costs more than the Ultra.
See the purple. You missed the point: deven is an RP loyalist, and they don't need to use a Fram Ultra due to their own RP filtering performing about as well. If you or anybody thinks $4 extra, over the cost of an Ultra, is too much to pay, should trade their cars for a bicycle to save real money. RP loyalists regularly pay double for their oil over other comparable oils, so $4 extra for a "real" RP oil filter is NOTHING.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Royal Purple, Microgreen, and Amsoil are all 50% or more in cost than a Fram Ultra.
Not true, as there is typically only about $3 separating Ultra from MicroGreens, and maybe $4 extra for an RP. It depends on the part number, yet usually very little difference.

Again, Ultras are great, yet product loyalists like deven (Amsoil, RP, Mobil etc.) can stay with their home team for not much more $$ at all. These people might even want the oil to "match" their oil filter, so they can with confidence.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O

The last photo shows the varnish already forming inside the filter where the spring traps the oil a little bit. I suspect from the heat because of the poor filter placement on this engine (Toyota 1mz-fe).

I have rarely ever had a filter last a 7,500 mi OCI without starting to drain back because of the filter placement on this engine. It mounts horizontally into the block immediately under the exhaust header and immediately adjacent to the cat on that bank. I believe the heat cooks the ADBVs. I've had Wix, Motorcraft, and other quality filters routinely fail and start leaking down between 2k and 5k into the OCI. Motorcraft have generally been the worst at this; I used to use the FL-400S until the last one only lasted 2k before it leaked down each night. This worked perfectly for almost 15k, and the ADBV was very soft and pliable upon removal - much more pliable than other silicone ADBVs I have pulled out.

I'm an OEM guy on all the cars - just because the dealer has them at the right price. My parents have the 3MZ-FE in their Sienna and it's the same layout. I run my filters for one OCI and I do notice some of the aftermarket ones(Puro and Wix) come off dry. Never used an OCOD or "value" filter like a ST or Microgard.

I've been resistant to the FU bandwagon since OEM works for me, but I just might have to give the XG3614 a shot next OCI...
smile.gif

The filter looks good after that long run. I would never put magnets in the engine oil pan unless you plan to remove the pan regularly to clean, which is doubtful. Myself, I would want contaminants suspended in the oil so that they can be removed by the filter and draining. All you will have is a ball of metal sitting in the pan. If you are into magnets, should have left them on the filter.Who knows what will happen once the magnets load up.

Last edited:
I'm going to guess there isn't any technical, tangible reason why.

OP: Never put magnets where you can't change or clean them. You've left whatever they catch with no exit strategy.

FU does it again, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back