Techron the best injector cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always keep a pack of Techron in the garage, occasionally using it, however my Wife's TSX is getting an occasionally reported misfire on cylinder 1 - injector checks out electrically, and nothing else is amiss.

This is the ODB2 system reporting this, the only thing i have also noticed it's a little sluggish pulling through the gears - so i'm thinking the injectors aren't so clean.

Anyway, i'm after what people consider the best over the counter cleaner i can get. I understand a regular use of weaker products is recommended, but what i really want, is a strong cleaner you aren't supposed to use that often.

BG 44k was suggested, but i'm trying to see what modern day suggestions people have on this subject?

Thanks.

Maybe try swapping coils and plugs to different cylinders to see if the intermittent misfire follows.

Swap plugs between cyls 1 and 2, swap coils between cyls 1 and 3. If the misfire pops up on cylinders 2 it's the plug, if it comes back on 3 it's the coil.

If it keeps coming back to #1 swap the injectors, check fuel trims, smoke test for intake leaks, compression and leakdown test.

There isn't any fix in a can for a misfire

Thanks for the troubleshooting tips.

Misfire code doesn't move with the COPs, plugs are new, air filter also new.
90% certain it's not an intake leak...\
Haven't moved injectors yet.

It's apparently reasonably common for there to be a problem with the injector, be it failed, or plugged up, for this code on the TSX, particularly if it's only the computer reporting it, i really need to move the injector for the next part of testing.

However, i'm still interested in the strongest fuel injector/system cleaner available these days?
Also, any reason not to double dose things like fuel treatments?

Well for solvent type cleaners berrymans is quite strong and is also cheap. I have used jectron too but i come back to my old standby b12... its something like 3 dollars a bottle at walmart.

Seems that people are saying the highest concentration of PEA works out as the best cleaner?

I see Redline and 3M make one with a high percentage of it. Why would i choose a solvent type cleaner?

Again, let's say i want a stronger mix, can i shove two bottles of Chevron in and get a stronger cleaning effect?

I used Chemtool Regane. Works well in my car. I've used Techron. Also works great on my car. I did not notice any change with Lucas, tough. .

My two cents.

Check fuel pressure? Low pressure/clogged filter could explain your sluggish performance.

I personally know one of the engineers at chevron, and what I can tell you is the techron additives pass the "no harm" tests required for BMW, who slaps their label on techron bottles.

The no harm test includes using the additive at 16x the recommended dosage, as well as pouring it straight into the crank case. Techron additive passed all tests.

My engineer buddy said when they did the no harm test using the other additive you mentioned on an old gm v6 engine (can't remember which one) with a painted steel oil pan, it peeled the paint off the inside of the pan in one big sheet and immediately plugged the oil pick up.

So I guess that one is "stronger."

He also told me the techron works over time, the longer it's in the tank the better, and that the hotter you can get your engine the better it will clean things up. The complete fuel system cleaner is a much better product than the injector cleaner. Per the label, it is safe to double dose.

Originally Posted By: Superflop
Well for solvent type cleaners berrymans is quite strong and is also cheap. I have used jectron too but i come back to my old standby b12... its something like 3 dollars a bottle at walmart.

+1 on the berrymans.

Nothing is going to clean your fuel system more violently than E85. I've run it plenty of times on older vehicles and any hesitation/misfire is gone within a tank. A 50/50 blend with regular pump gas works well.

People will argue against but any later model car with EFI will tolerate it quite well. Not going to do any damage with occasional use.

Gumout has a "new" brew called Multi-System tune-Up. But most of the components have been around for years. The MSDS suggests its part Seafoam, part Techron/PEA. At quick glance, the bottle looks like Seafoam. That signature white can. Maybe its some sort of arrangement to share chemicals. I've been using it full time primarily in my 26hp tractor and snowblower with good results taming a wavering idle, cleaning the carbs during use. And I like the IPA for moisture, I no longer drain the tank at the end of the season. IPA is probably why people love Seafoam so much, the IPA does seem to temporarily boost the HP, small engines seems stronger and smoother. In a auto engine? I'm a little gun shy about any additives because I recently had to replace the expensive catalyst on my non oil burning Escalade which was exposed to most of the ones mentioned above. Learning about my ride, its easy enough to just take things apart and clean them, rather than ingest additives. But.. i am tempted to use them for gas tank/pump issues

I would try the Gumout Complete....it's about $8 (or maybe $9) at WM and claims to treat up to 34 gallons of gasoline....so it must have a good amount of PEA....and should work very well in a smaller sized gas tank.

Guaranteed to Pass, gumout or techron. Id run a bottle per tank and repeat 2 more times. I doubt it will fix the problem but it wont hurt the car anyways.

Originally Posted By: MaDMaXX
Seems that people are saying the highest concentration of PEA works out as the best cleaner?

I see Redline and 3M make one with a high percentage of it. Why would i choose a solvent type cleaner?

Again, let's say i want a stronger mix, can i shove two bottles of Chevron in and get a stronger cleaning effect?

PEA is a proven cleaner. There are SAE papers/studies on it. Last I checked, these are the cleaners with the highest PEA concentrations:

Red Line SI-1
Amsoil PI
Chevron Techron Concentrate (also relabeled for BMW)
Gumout Regane

There may be others, but often times the MSDS is vague or doesn't list the actual percentage. There's also some sly marketing taking place with cheaper versions of the above four that contain lower levels (read: worthless) of PEA. Chevron has something called ProGard or something to that effect which looks almost identical to Techron, but isn't.

As far as dosing, I can tell you anecdotally that I have always dumped the full bottle of those above cleaners into my gas tank which is technically 'too strong', but it's never been a problem. Again, anecdotal here, but the thinking is to use it on the last full tank of gas before your next oil change in case anything significant gets dislodged. For a car that uses good oils on a routine change interval, and isn't a notorious sludger, it probably won't make a huge difference.

I have the 6 pack of Techron from Costco, now i've gotta go check it as i didn't realise there were multiple variants of it.

Seems that using the Redline stuff would be best then?

I looked at the SDSs for the Techron Concentrate and Gumout Regane/All In One products recently and they suggested that the first product was 31-65% PEA while the last three were all 10-30%. Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner looked to be less than 10% PEA.
I have read about people running down to maybe 1/4 tank and then adding a full bottle of PEA cleaner to supposedly get more cleaning power, but I don't know how safe or effective that is.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I looked at the SDSs for the Techron Concentrate and Gumout Regane/All In One products recently and they suggested that the first product was 31-65% PEA while the last three were all 10-30%. Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner looked to be less than 10% PEA.
I have read about people running down to maybe 1/4 tank and then adding a full bottle of PEA cleaner to supposedly get more cleaning power, but I don't know how safe or effective that is.

First product = Techron Concentrate?
Last three products = Gumout Regane? - other two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back