(WIX) SuperTech ST9688 CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran this for close to 5K miles on my Frontier using Pennzoil Ultra 10W-30. Seems to have held up fine. ADBV is pliable and media looks decent. Hole in dome end was from me pre-draining it before removal.

Replaced with a Mahle OC 707 filter and Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30.

20171001_134829.jpg

20171001_134840.jpg

20171001_134853.jpg

20171001_135324.jpg

20171001_135431.jpg

20171001_135506.jpg

The more I see the results of super tech products on this forum, the more they impress me and the more inclined I am to use them.

So ST is made by wix?

News to me, but admittedly I haven't been tracking it.

That must explain why the white can wix filters I recently bought were all made in Mexico
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So ST is made by wix?

That must explain why the white can wix filters I recently bought were all made in Mexico
frown.gif

By looks, they look identical to a napa proselect. Id use that or the ST any day. Great filter for great price.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So ST is made by wix?

frown.gif

By looks, they look identical to a napa proselect. Id use that or the ST any day. Great filter for great price.

+2; Wix has maintained solid quality for a long, long time.

ST9688 is the part number recommended for each of my Hyundai. That filter looks great and i would definitely give it a try.

Originally Posted By: wemay
ST9688 is the part number recommended for each of my Hyundai. That filter looks great and i would definitely give it a try.

As long as you realize the Super Tech 9688 application is a downsized/consolidated application from a standard 9688 application used by Hyn/Kia. In the Super Tech it's really the 7317/14610/57356 size. That said, still likely fine for ~5k mi oci for which the ST is intended.

This ST9688 looks very good at 5k miles. This application and the other popular application ST3614 both use separate dome bypass too, a plus imo.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted By: Pajero
What is the red like substance?

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Adhesive residue

Originally Posted By: Sayjac

As long as you realize the Super Tech 9688 application is a downsized/consolidated application from a standard 9688 application used by Hyn/Kia. In the Super Tech it's really the 7317/14610/57356 size. That said, still likely fine for ~5k mi oci for which the ST is intended.

This ST9688 looks very good at 5k miles. This application and the other popular application ST3614 both use separate dome bypass too, a plus imo.

Thanks for c&p.

I have owned a couple of KIA/Hyundai vehicles and would not recommend it for them. The SuperTech ST9688 is not dimensional the same as the Fram PH9688 and is more equivalent to the smaller Fram PH6607. That is one application I would stay with the OEM filters.

Last edited:

Thanks for c&p.

Thanks for the information. Our vehicles are driven under severe service schedule so 3700 and 3000 miles shouldn't be an issue.

@ Hootbro...
I don't subscribe to the "oem filter only" way of thinking having used more aftermarket than oem on all our Hyundai. But i understand the concern.

OT The 6607 is the shorty version of the noted 7317/57356. The topic 9688 dimensionally is virtually the same as the latter applications as compared to the shorty 6607.

The 6607 is often downsized/consolidated by quick lubes and some indies for the 7317/57356. And I've actually seen an anecdote or two posted here where a quick lube used a 6607 shorty equivalent for the 9688 on a Hyn/Kia application. That's two application sizes down.

Even though quick lubes do it as SOP, my preference is for the spec size as opposed to a downsized/consolidated application.

Thanks for c&p.

Thanks for the information. Our vehicles are driven under severe service schedule so 3700 and 3000 miles shouldn't be an issue.

@ Hootbro...
I don't subscribe to the "oem filter only" way of thinking having used more aftermarket than oem on all our Hyundai. But i understand the concern.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Really good looking for a cheapo filter!

+1 Really can't beat the Wix SuperTech and Napa ProSelect for budget oil changes.

Originally Posted By: whiplash
On NAPA's website they state the flow rate (gpm) of their filters. Has anyone found the flow rate of the ST6607, ST 9688

That spec is pretty useless if they don't say what the flow rate is without a corresponding delta-p and oil viscosity & temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back