55" 4K $398 Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I tell my friend at work who has been talking about upgrading his T.V. about the Philips 55" 4K set at wally world for $398.00
He says he just bought a 65" OLED with a sound bar for $3000.
I felt like an idiot.
So I said how did the set look while the Broncos trashed your Cowboys on Sunday?
He walked away. LOL.

I have an old CRT TV and I really enjoyed watching the Broncos kick the Cowboys [censored].
smile.gif

4k is no big deal unless you have the supporting hardware.

And a $400 Philips set won't come anywhere near an OLED. Not even a 1st gen 1080p OLED. Probably not even close to my 4 year old Vizio 4k set.

For that price range it will be a cheap Korean panel. South Korea is the China when it comes to TV/monitor panels at rock bottom prices. Just in general very low end and the reliability isn't the best.

Don't get me wrong any TV can be good and there is certainly people who buy cheap TVs and monitor that never have a problem but the money you save is typically at the expense of quality.

They are known for dead pixels out of the box and will typically show their inferior quality after 6 months to a year.

No thanks,Philips has never impressed me.

I do have a 55 inch Vizio thats needed to be upgraded,It's 7 years old and no issues,jus saying
wink.gif

TVs are like stereo systems. If you buy something that makes you happy then it's more about the content on it than the latest specs.

Wait, that's about life in general.

Wow...that's insane. Dumpster grade. You get what you pay for however. You also have to realize such a TV has been reduced to an electrical fuse: Once it goes bzzzzttt...that's it. Not worth fixing, not even diagnosing.

Philips used to make top-grade consumer gear...decades ago. Their old Magnavox CD players were made in Belgium. So was some other gear. I have a Philips DAC built like a tank, from the 80's.

They may have sold their consumer 'e-tainment' division as others like RCA, where the name is solely resting on its once-great-laurels...and nothing else.

Caveat Emptor....

One more thing...I wonder if these 4K sets are truly capable of their stated BW & resolution?

One additional thing...GO COWBOYS!

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
I do have a 55 inch Vizio thats needed to be upgraded,It's 7 years old and no issues,jus saying
wink.gif

In similar boat here. We have a 55" Samsung that's 8 years old. I just can't justify getting a newer TV with thinner bezel because there is really nothing wrong with the current one, and picture quality is excellent.

You have a Microcenter in Denver take a look there. Eventually we'll get a 55 Westinghouse 4k to replace our old Sharp Aquos 42, house repairs hasn't allowed for it yet. We put a Westinghouse 32 LED (Non-4k) in the RV and the improvement in picture over the old Aquos is noticeable. The 55 runs around 400... we paid $2-3k for the Aquos back in 07 and has had a line through the middle since about 5 years and the OTA antenna stopped working around 8 years. Sometimes paying more doesn't mean your getting more or any more reliability!

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Somehow I doubt a $400 wally world TV is going to look better than a $3000 TV, no matter how many K's it has.

My friend is a bit tight with money. I thought he would go for the bargain set.
His wife will spend what ever to get what she wants.
I think it was her idea to spend the 3K.

She fell in love with a used Audi and despite everyone including her husband telling her it was a money pit she got it anyway.
Now after a couple years a thousands in repairs they are looking to get rid of it.
Here's the real funny part, she wants a Jeep Grand Cherokee,another junk car.LOL

Our household includes 2, 5, and 7 year-old children. Random objects flying through the air as well as markers, crayons, pens, pencils used on any given surface is a constant reality. The $419 55" 4K HDR TCL we purchased at Costco fits our needs well. A $3,000 TV is laughable at this point in life. Actually, I really can't imagine spending that much on a television at any point in life. Anyway, the TCL beat the picture quality of the two-year old Sony Bravia it replaced.

These days, it's about value-per-dollar and not so much about how much money I can blow on something. By contrast, I used to buy what some may refer to as top tier synthetic motor oil. Today, I buy what's on sale at the big box store and on mail-in-rebate. Whatever makes you happy I guess.

Originally Posted By: GemStater
Our household includes 2, 5, and 7 year-old children. Random objects flying through the air as well as markers, crayons, pens, pencils used on any given surface is a constant reality. The $419 55" 4K HDR TCL we purchased at Costco fits our needs well. A $3,000 TV is laughable at this point in life. Actually, I really can't imagine spending that much on a television at any point in life. Anyway, the TCL beat the picture quality of the two-year old Sony Bravia it replaced.

These days, it's about value-per-dollar and not so much about how much money I can blow on something. By contrast, I used to buy what some may refer to as top tier synthetic motor oil. Today, I buy what's on sale at the big box store and on mail-in-rebate. Whatever makes you happy I guess.

Yeah with kids that age it sometimes is like a war zone.
$420 T.V. seems like a smart move for now.
My $429 55" Insignia 4K has a great picture.
Its probably the same set as yours just rebranded.
Built in Roku too.

Ha! My housemate just bought one of these. It's still in the box. The price seems to good to be true. This model was probably made exclusively to be sold at Walmart with parts from the lowest bidders.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Sometimes paying more doesn't mean your getting more or any more reliability!

You paid more because it was in 2007. LCD TVs were much more expensive 10 years ago.

I paid $1200 for a 40" Sony Bravia Z series back in 2009. That particular TV was $2400 when it first came out in 2008, however the Z series is one step below the top line XBR series. Note: these are not the same as the low end Bravias sold at Walmart. The picture and sound on my Z-Series was absolutely stunning. Sadly this TV was damaged moving, otherwise I would still be using it.

Nothing wrong with buying a large screen cheap TV. The image will always be acceptable and to most people defect free.

Just like anything in life, then there are people who want Stunning picture quality.
However buying an expensive TV doesnt mean there arent TVs cheaper that will deliver that quality.

Anyway, back to cheap TVs.
One thing to be sure of, Vizio I think started this, some cheap TVs are shipping without a TV Tuner! Geez, that IS cheap.
So if you ever think you may want to play around with FREE OVER THE AIR TV you would be forced to buy a tuner.

the walmart phillips tv is a funai.
notoriously cheap design and poor reliability esp the power supplies.
i see a bunch of them.seems any power line disturbance blows them up.
no mov on the line input.
multiple 3a diodes in parallel rather than 1 properly sized on a heatsink.
so many design fails.

I have a 55" Samsung 4K in the living room and a 32" Vizio 4K in the bedroom. They are both excellent but I find the Samsung does a far better job at upconverting 1080p video to 4K. Heck even 480p old videos look decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back