2017 CR-V EX - oil decision for LSPI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a constant visitor here, but rarely post. My knowledge of oils is greatly surpassed by many here, so I just read. Anyway, my screen name says Elantra and that vehicle was totaled, so wife and I bought a 2017 CR-V EX, the new 1.5L turbo engine. My concern is the the LSPI, been reading a lot about it but some of the talk is over my head.

From what I gather, it seems low calcium and high moly is the way to go, correct me I'm wrong. Previous oil I've been running is RP, but been wanting to try Schaeffer, so bought a case of Supreme 9000 0W-20 before reading more about LSPI. I haven't seen a VOA for 0W-20, but I'm sure it does have moly in it and probably calcium.

Anyway, question being is Schaeffer Supreme 9000 0W-20 an oil I want to be running in this engine? Is there a better option? I want to stay full synthetic and don't mind spending to protect the engine. I do plan on doing an UOA with Blackstone as well.

Thank you in advance,

Vince

You definitely want to run a dexos generation 2 oil as those have been shown to reduce LSPI. Most of the major brands are already reformulated. Mobil 1 EP 0w-20 has the certificate. Watch your fuel dilution and go with 5000 mile oci for now.

You also don't have to spend big money to get a Dexos1 gen 2 oil. Walmart Synthetic now carries the cert as well, but I have yet to see it in a 0w20.

Originally Posted By: Ruby2013Elantra
From what I gather, it seems low calcium and high moly is the way to go, correct me I'm wrong.
Low-ish calcium, around 1000 ppm, with magnesium detergents replacing a good percent of the calcium works. I haven't heard high moly affects LSPI at all.
Anyway, question being is Schaeffer Supreme 9000 0W-20 an oil I want to be running in this engine? Is there a better option?

Valvoline Synpower 0w20 is on many Walmart shelves and it says dexos1 Gen2 on the label, meaning its been tested for LSPI prevention.
Must see the words "Gen 2" on the logo, or its the old Gen 1 oil that was not tested for LSPI.
Dexos-Gen-2_v2.original.png

Last edited:
OEMs are aware of LSPI and tune their engines to make it nearly impossible to occur, even when using the high-calcium formulations on the market today. So while a Dexos1 Gen 2 oil is a good choice, it isn't essential for engine health.

A choice to consider is Castrol Magnatec 0w-20: it's a Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil, well-regarded here, a good value and about the thickest 0w-20 you'll find, which may be a good thing considering the fuel dilution that will occur in your Honda.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danh
OEMs are aware of LSPI and tune their engines to make it nearly impossible to occur, even when using the high-calcium formulations on the market today. So while a Dexos1 Gen 2 oil is a good choice, it isn't essential for engine health.

I wish this was true but it isn't. I am aware of at least one OEM where the above statement is not true.

Good for the OP to take a proactive approach to minimize the risk of damage due to LSPI. Might be difficult to avoid low engine speed and high engine load conditions due to the CVT transmission, it will be heavily dependent on the transmission calibration and the engine LSPI detection and mitigation strategy.

Originally Posted By: np6000
Originally Posted By: Danh

I wish this was true but it isn't. I am aware of at least one OEM where the above statement is not true.

Good for the OP to take a proactive approach to minimize the risk of damage due to LSPI. Might be difficult to avoid low engine speed and high engine load conditions due to the CVT transmission, it will be heavily dependent on the transmission calibration and the engine LSPI detection and mitigation strategy.

In the early days of a new engine, OEMs can be surprised. I assume you're referring to Subaru, which did have issues several years back, learned from the experience and fixed things. But I've not heard of a single LSPI failure for Honda's 1.5T and, given their prodigious levels of fuel dilution, it sure seems Honda has anticipated the issue and erred far on the side of caution.

And technically, LSPI is far too random and sudden to be "detected" while driving in time to prevent a problem. Instead, OEMs identify operating conditions where LSPI might occur and richen the mixture whenever similar conditions occur during operation, knowing full well LSPI will only occur in a fraction of these situations.

The manufacturer recommends an oil that passes their spec, the HTO-06. Doesn't really say anything else.

As for dexos gen 2, where do I find the specs? I'd like to see how Schaeffer lines up to them? I have the case and not sure I can return it. Guess I can compare it to the Mobil 1 oil recommended.

The manufacturer recommends an oil that passes their spec, the HTO-06. Doesn't really say anything else.

As for dexos gen 2, where do I find the specs? I'd like to see how Schaeffer lines up to them? I have the case and not sure I can return it. Guess I can compare it to the Mobil 1 oil recommended.

Looking at the owner's manual, I see no reference to HTO-06, which is a pretty old specification. I believe the manual only specs an API certified 0w-20, or pretty much any 0w-20 you'll find on the shelf.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: parshisa
All Mobil oils are gen 2 approved. Go with 0w30 and enjoy the car
This is what I would probably do. Although, if you already bought the Schaeffer's... The issue with me is that the 9000 series has a fair amount of calcium. Use the Shaeffer's up, and then go to M1

I’m currently running Ams SS with ton of calcium in it. No difference compared to factory fill. I don’t think it really matters. The only reasons i’m Going Mobil is 1) oil gets sheared/diluted and needs to be changed every 5k - amsoil is too expensive to be ran 5k. 2) slightly higher grade will help with residual viscosity.

Honda took care of lspi by dumping gallons of fuel in the cylinders thus fuel dilution. Oh well

Right now 0w20 but will switch to 0w30. By the end of OCI vis will be in 0w2 range anyways. Plus, hopefully engine will sound a lil better with thicker oil. These 1.5s are not the best sounding engines..

The oil won't hurt the engine. Change it every 5,000 then try Mobil 1 AFE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back