Cooking With Tap Water ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried it for dinner tonight and the first thing I noticed is the pasta sticking to the pan as I'm trying to pour it out into the strainer. With bottled water, the pasta comes out of the pan easy and never sticks.

I have never used anything other than tap water for cooking pasta. Drain it immediately, add sauce and stir. Never had a sticking problem.

Originally Posted By: nwjones18
I've never cooked with anything but tap water here. Never even considered it.

+1

Cooking with bottled water seems like something that would be illegal in CA.

You added some salt when you added your pasta to the boiling water right ?? I have never cooked with bottled water... That's an interesting thought.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

+1

The trend of cooking with bottled water most likely started in CA.

And they consider it environmentally acceptable because they place the empty plastic water bottles curbside for recycling.
grin.gif

If you have weird or bad tasting water you dont need to go all the way to bottled.

use brita or similar home filters will solve the issue without the inefficiencies of bottled water.

heck even the flint folks were getting by with certain higher end certidied filters for awhile.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

+1

And they consider it environmentally acceptable because they place the empty plastic water bottles curbside for recycling.
grin.gif

Maybe Clovis is the Flint of CA?

Originally Posted By: raytseng
If you have weird or bad tasting water you dont need to go all the way to bottled.

use brita or similar home filters will solve the issue without the inefficiencies of bottled water.

heck even the flint folks were getting by with certain higher end certidied filters for awhile.

I use Brita water for my ice trays. Our tap water isn't terrible, but it does not have an appealing taste.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Tried it for dinner tonight and the first thing I noticed is the pasta sticking to the pan as I'm trying to pour it out into the strainer. With bottled water, the pasta comes out of the pan easy and never sticks.

Put a dash of cooking oil in while cooking pasta, and it won't stick together.

No more comment than that, as I've never cooked with your area's tap water.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
You added some salt when you added your pasta to the boiling water right ?? I have never cooked with bottled water... That's an interesting thought.

I added salt to it, but that was before the water started boiling. Maybe I need to wait until it starts boiling.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What kind of water have you been cooking with previously ?

Water from the water store. 25 cents per gallon.

Pure Water & Ice Cream
1835 Ashlan Ave #103A
Clovis CA 93611
559-346-1399

L
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

+1

grin.gif

Maybe Clovis is the Flint of CA?

Clovis Municipal Water fails water wuality tests?

Well that is a different story.

you guys need to take into considerarion the op. its cherry picking to say oh that crazy ca they are so silly. also 1post says banned in ca and another says ca started ans champions the practice which is it, can't have it both ways. lets be honest, and not to throw merk to much under the bus, but if all of ca was full of merk4s, an interesting state it would be.

lets get back to what most people do.

i do know folks in davis where the water isnt palatable, but they sign up for water delivery (where they return the 5g empties) or put in undersink filtration or whole house filtration.
a logical and financially obvious solution to the problem driven by market forces.

Last edited:
I use a ton of olive oil in cooking. Dr said my good cholesterol was amazing, whatever that means. That being said, olive oil is expensive. I keep a small bottle of vegetable oil on the cabinet for cooking pasta. One tablespoon in the water prevents sticking noodles.

If you have normal tap water (doesn’t smell or taste too bad), then definitely use it for cooking. Bottle water for cooking is wasteful and expensive.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
you guys need to take into considerarion the op. its cherry picking to say oh that crazy ca they are so silly. also 1post says banned in ca and another says ca started ans champions the practice which is it, can't have it both ways. lets be honest, and not to throw merk to much under the bus, but if all of ca was full of merk4s, an interesting state it would be.

lets get back to what most people do.

i do know folks in davis where the water isnt palatable, but they sign up for water delivery (where they return the 5g empties) or put in undersink filtration or whole house filtration.
a logical and financially obvious solution to the problem driven by market forces.

Ray, you live in a state that has been a leader of many social and political movements...some of which have been viewed as quite eccentric. It's nothing personal.
grin.gif

Many folks who are making light of this thread go into the minutiae of differences of motor oil with pure theory and no real way of “tasting” or knowing it makes a difference.

The reality is tap water and especially well water has distinct water chemistry that you can taste AND can effect cooking if enough minerals present.l

For example I cannnot use my well water for coffee or tea as it effects taste due to excess of salt present in my well water. It was noted on report if you have hypertension the to not drink it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back