Favorite cheap tire brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any preferences for cheap or off brand tires?

I will be buying 6 or 8 tires soon for fitting purposes on 2 sets of wheels. 17" in size. I have access to a tire machine and balancer so that's not a concern.

I will be mounting and checking fitments for the wheels and tires and it's unlikely any of them will see more than 250 miles use before they are sold on Craigslist and proper tires bought and installed in their place.

what sizes? what vehicle?

Could you buy 1 tire for fitment or is this some other kind of fitting issue I'm not thinking of?

Front to back are different and between the 2 sets of wheels there are 4 different sizes. I need to drive the car with the wheels and tires mounted for a bit to see about rub and other clearance issues.

Tires will have between a 35 to 45 sidewall and varying widths from 225 to 285. They are not going to be "square" on the wheels and will not be the stock size for that particular size wheel. Lots of trial and error getting this fitment right.

Car is my sw20 mr2.

If their strictly for test purposes ebay has all kinds of cheap Chinese brands. I look daily just when I'm bored and there's tons and tons of cheapo tires

If you're only going to drive on them for 250 miles, it doesn't matter.

But my favorite cheap brand is Falken, but nothing wrong with the Korean brands Kumho, Hankook, and Nexen. Kelly tires are good, too.

I bought some Ohtsu, Falken sister brand, tires that I was satisfied with.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
If you're only going to drive on them for 250 miles, it doesn't matter.

But my favorite cheap brand is Falken, but nothing wrong with the Korean brands Kumho, Hankook, and Nexen. Kelly tires are good, too.

Might do falkens. They are popular in the car scene for "stretching" well.

I love Crosswinds! Goofy logo and name, but I really don't care because they are solid tires. I run them on a fleet of four GMT800 pickups that can see 30K+ in a year, my own trucks, and a bunch of customer cars/used cars. No problems or complaints out of them. Most of the tires I have warranty issues with are Michelin, Continental, or Goodyear. I have never had a warranty claim on a Crosswind, just one swap out (before installation) on an L780 with a messed up sidewall. My guess is it was at the bottom of the shipping container.

cheburator.jpg

Milestar and Nankang. Very inexpensive, and have a lot of good reviews everywhere I look. I have a set of Nankang Sp9's in the garage that I bought for a song, which will replace my Coopers when they wear out.

Just for fitment find a used tire place or check the local tire house. They often have takeoffs that are still legal.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Hankook has some cheap yet decent tires. Great bang for the buck.

I actually have hankooks on my 16" daily driver wheels (5th set) for this car. Haha

I bought Nankang this time for my Dodge and I honestly like them better for ride, traction and feel and definitely looks than the Michelins that were on it. I love them.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I love Crosswinds! Goofy logo and name, but I really don't care because they are solid tires. I run them on a fleet of four GMT800 pickups that can see 30K+ in a year, my own trucks, and a bunch of customer cars/used cars. No problems or complaints out of them. Most of the tires I have warranty issues with are Michelin, Continental, or Goodyear. I have never had a warranty claim on a Crosswind, just one swap out (before installation) on an L780 with a messed up sidewall. My guess is it was at the bottom of the shipping container.

cheburator.jpg

Yes, I've heard good things about the LingLong Crosswinds and the Desperados as well.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Hankook has some cheap yet decent tires. Great bang for the buck.
Roger on the bang.

I have GT Radials on the Taurus I got from America's Tire. I like 'em. Dad even went and got a set for the Focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back