Frankenstein mixture

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Honda EU2000i generator manual recommends 10-30. Any issues using a 50/50 mix of Mobil 1 5-30 + Peak 15-40 HDEO oil? I just picked up the Peak HDEO at AAP for $1.85 per gallon. Or is it better to mix with PUP 0-20? Any preference? The Honda sits in the foyer empty of gasoline.

mixing is not usually beneficial, esp. between different brands with different additive packs
Just use the 15w40 it will be fine. If its going to be cold use the 5w30 for better starting in below freezing temps.

Or just use the 5w30 all the time. a full syn 5w30 is better then the conventional 10w30 thats recommended.

oil doesn't mix the way you think it would. So mixing a 20 weight with a 30 doesn't make a 25. It really has to do with how well the oils will mix together. This mix happens a lot better when you have two same brands of oil but just different grades. The base stocks in those cases usually mix without issue.

Originally Posted By: Rand
mixing is not usually beneficial, esp. between different brands with different additive packs
Just use the 15w40 it will be fine. If its going to be cold use the 5w30 for better starting in below freezing temps.

The time stamp is the same, what odds!

Originally Posted By: danielLD

The time stamp is the same, what odds!

but then I edited
01.gif

If I paid a grand for a fairly low output genset, trying to use cheap oil in it would be the least of my concerns.
Since this thing is always warm-stored in your foyer and if you ever need it as an emergency backup you'll be running it long and hard, I'd spring for M1 HM 10W-30 which at least has HTHSv complying with the old A3/B3 spec.
I don't think I'd want to use M1 5W-30 or a Peak conventional HDEO in it much less a mix of the two although the Peak would at least have a high HTHSv.
Heck, the Peak all on its own would likely be preferable to a mix of it and M1 5W-30.
Unlike the engine of a car, the engine of a portable generator will be running near its power peak for most of its hours of use so oil selection is probably of more importance.

Originally Posted By: Patrick0525
My Honda EU2000i generator manual recommends 10-30. Any issues using a 50/50 mix of Mobil 1 5-30 + Peak 15-40 HDEO oil? I just picked up the Peak HDEO at AAP for $1.85 per gallon. Or is it better to mix with PUP 0-20? Any preference? The Honda sits in the foyer empty of gasoline.

No issues using but might be harder to start if very cold.

Since it is always warm stored, I think using 100% Peak Semi-Synthetic 15-40 is the way to go. I probably only used it for 5 hrs since the last oil change in Nov. 2012. The only time I can foresee the unit ever getting cold is a gasoline refill outside in the dead of winter.

Originally Posted By: Patrick0525
Since it is always warm stored, I think using 100% Peak Semi-Synthetic 15-40 is the way to go. I probably only used it for 5 hrs since the last oil change in Nov. 2012. The only time I can foresee the unit ever getting cold is a gasoline refill outside in the dead of winter.

In that case I'd not worry one bit.

I would probably just use 10w30. Lighter oil would not be my choice. That said I just serviced my generators (4) and dumped a hodgepodge of oils in them. These engines are really simple and easy on oil. I don't think your going to have any issues with whatever is in there.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Or just use the 5w30 all the time. a full syn 5w30 is better then the conventional 10w30 thats recommended.
Not really so considering they all use the same adds . I will add there is no benefit other than to use up odds and ends of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back