Plugged Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you tell if the oil filter is plugged when you drain the oil out of it. I've noticed that sometimes when draining the filter all the oil will drain out immediately. Then other times it requires placing the filter up-right (hole on top) for 10 minutes or so then flipping it over and getting more oil out of it. Thoughts.

If I suspected a filter to be plugged, I'd cut it open.

Sometimes they hold oil and sometimes they drain. I don't think there's a real explanation aside from a misbehaving ADBV.

It's more than likely hydro-locked due to the ADBV.

I would never even suspect a filter of being clogged in any vehicle that is moderately maintained. If it was plugged, I'd imagine there would be symptoms while it was in operation.

Definitely the ADBV. If it won't drain, jam something sharp through the inlet holes and puncture/push open the ADBV. That will usually fill the center tube with oil so it can be drained. If anything, it's a good sign when no oil comes out of a used filter until you jam open the ADBV because it means it seals good.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Definitely the ADBV. If it won't drain, jam something sharp through the inlet holes and puncture/push open the ADBV. That will usually fill the center tube with oil so it can be drained. If anything, it's a good sign when no oil comes out of a used filter until you jam open the ADBV because it means it seals good.

It's the reason I can remove my Subaru's top-mounted, base-down filter without making any mess. Makes me feel good when I see that a "used-up" filter has a good-working ADBV.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

It's the reason I can remove my Subaru's top-mounted, base-down filter without making any mess. Makes me feel good when I see that a "used-up" filter has a good-working ADBV.

Can or can't? So the filter is empty when you remove it?

My Tacoma has the filter mounted vertically with base down. If I don't punch a hole in the dome end to drain it, it'll puke oil upon removal.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Can or can't? So the filter is empty when you remove it?

My Tacoma has the filter mounted vertically with base down. If I don't punch a hole in the dome end to drain it, it'll puke oil upon removal.

Can - am able to. There is some that will drain as you remove the filter, but it is contained, by design. The filter itself doesn't leak much upon removal. The filter is heavy with oil when I put in on my drain pan. When I check however long after (weeks, usually), it feels much lighter and emptier. The filter isn't really even close to perfectly hydro-locked, so it will drain eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvn-w8zW-lE

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
I had a pretty well plugged WIX filter (PSI drop on OP gauge), and the oil stayed inside until I cut the can.

From your other thread:
"No tears, not a thing to report other than I over loaded it. The large grit can be seen everywhere, and the cold oil pressure is now 78psi vs 60-65 @ 3K rpm."

Example of only seeing a filter restriction when the oil pressure sensor is after the filter and the PD oil pump was in pressure relief due to cold thick oil.

Once the oil got fully hot and thinned down you wouldn't be able to tell unless the filter was near 100% clogged.

A truly plugged filter means you have super dirty oil that should drain out with lumps,
check your oil drain pan for lots of debris, if none, the chance of a plugged filter is 1 in 10 million!

A freshly removed filter will be heavy with oil in the saturated media, even w/o a ADBV! or a 'fully drained' filter.

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

A freshly removed filter will be heavy with oil in the saturated media, even w/o a ADBV! or a 'fully drained' filter.

Not sure if this was in response to my post, but, as others have mentioned, the way to quickly drain a recently removed filter with an ADBV is to stick a screw or something into it and then set it somewhere to drain. The media will remain saturated and heavy for a long time, but not as heavy as a filter that is full of oil.

I just want to add everyone doing own OC should be draining the filter well before pitching it if you don't have a recycle option. I use a deck screw in the ADBV hole to push the elastomer valve open and leave it in tilted with the screw on the lowest side in the oil drain funnel until it is empty usually leave it a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back