Selling tools that take up space/collect dust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
About a year ago I went through a phase where I wanted to get into woodworking, but like many fleeting interests.. it didn't stick.

But it did leave behind a particularly expensive and large compound miter saw that I really don't use much. At the time it was the top end DeWalt miter saw on the market.

Part of me wants to sell it as I could use the cash for better things, but I have a hard time selling tools because the minute it's gone.. something will come up where you needed that exact tool!

So what are you guys' opinion on decisions like this?

Pic of the saw and the stand it came with:
4e998aaffbba49c7c35ba95da135f734.jpg

I've got the same saw. I bought it 9 years ago and based the purchase on the fact that it would last me the rest of my life and then the kids would have it if they wanted.

If you don't think you need it then by all means sell it. To me there are always things you may need to do with your tools.

What does it cost to rent such a tool? Would it cost more than what you could sell it for used? Are you really that short on space?

Originally Posted By: wymi516
I never sell any of my tools or guns.

My policy also.

My miter saw is on elf the most useful power tools I own.

I'd be hesitant to keep a clunky stand like that for it, so I'd probably try to get some money for the stand on CL, and keep the saw.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
My miter saw is on elf the most useful power tools I own.

I'd be hesitant to keep a clunky stand like that for it, so I'd probably try to get some money for the stand on CL, and keep the saw.

The legs on the stand fold, so it doesn't take up that much space.

If things take up much space and don't get used I sell them. There are a few exceptions but in general I just hate clutter.

Thanks for the responses.

I figure what I'll do is put an ad up on CL with a price that I can't refuse. If someone wants to buy it at that price, then no guilt on my part.

Like most things incorporating technology.. miter saws will just get better later on.

Originally Posted By: Tundragod
I would donate it.

Yeah I won't be doing that. The cash is more valuable to me than the tax deduction or the feel goods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back