0W-20 Mazda v. Castrol v others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just helped my daughter buy a 2017 Mazda CX-3 which specs 0W-20 and I will be changing the oil. This is my third 0W-20 car so I have a fair amount of experience with Honda Genuine, TGMO and AFE, with the latter two being my oils of choice.

Mazda owner's manual says to use Mazda brand or Castrol. I have no experience with either of these. IIRC, The Mazda oil was highly regarded when it came out for its VI and high moly content. After a bit of Googling, it seems the Mazda oil is only available through its dealers. I'm going to assume they won't retail at a competitive price but I've got an email into my Parts Manager and if you know of a good mail order source, by all means let's hear about it. What about the Castrol? Edge is $3 higher than AFE at the Mart. I would assume this is a high quality oil but haven't studied up on it.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Last edited:
One local Mazda dealer offered the Genuine Mazda 0w20 for $7 per quart, and it was the best deal I could get on it to break-in a Ford engine (all that moly). Call around I guess is the best one can do.
You could just go with Mobil1's great rebate, use their Mobil1 EP 0w20 from Walmart, take the rebate ( https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions ) , and then add some LM MOS2 (Amazon or NAPA autoparts) during break-in.

CX-3 is sa-weet! Mazda really has their act together. Top-rated models across their lineup.
She should let you drive it, and report back what you think.

Congrats on the new CX-3. That is a sharp looking vehicle that your daughter will enjoy.

Car companies always recommend a brand of oil because they get paid for doing so. Castrol wrote a nice check to Mazda for that advertising. With that said, Castrol is a good oil. The Mazda oil is harder to get and pricier. You also mentioned Mobil 1 AFE which is another very good oil. It's also available everywhere including Wal-Mart where the prices are the best. Mobil offers mail in rebates at times which would be helpful in a tight budget.

You can use any major brand of oil in 0w-20 and be fine. If I had to pick one personally, it would be the AFE.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Oil is oil .
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Unless you wanna RE-RING the engine at 486,249 miles, I highly suggest you stick to the OEM oil.

Thanks for stopping by.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

CX-3 is sa-weet! Mazda really has their act together. Top-rated models across their lineup.
She should let you drive it, and report back what you think.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Congrats on the new CX-3. That is a sharp looking vehicle that your daughter will enjoy.

Thanks. I appreciate Mazda vehicles having owned a 2008 Mazdaspeed3 which I loved. My daughter wanted to go small so the CX-3 won out over the 5 (plus, obviously, it's cheaper). In the very brief test drives we took, my impressions are: nice interior, stiff ride, very small rear seat and cargo areas but I fit in front OK at 6'-5" and 300 lbs.

BTW, if anyone is in the market for one of these, great deals are to be had on leftover '17s. This CX-3 was advertised as $1000 below invoice plus a $1500 Mazda rebate. I got that and another $700 off plus "doc fee" reduced from $199 to $0. So, very happy with the car and the deal.

Last edited:
I was paying $8.60 a quart at my local dealer for Mazda oil. My engine consumes oil quite readily so I quit using it and now use valvoline sun power from Walmart

Yeah, that kind of dealer price is what I've been concerned about and absolutely will not pay. My strategy is to go to the Parts Manager where I bought the car and see what he'll do on a "bulk buy" of a couple cases of oil 5-6 oil filters, an air filter a cabin filter. You know, bring him a couple hundred bucks of take-it-or-leave-it business.

As far as using the recommended oil is concerned, this car has recommended OCIs of 7500-10,000 miles so it will be a once per year deal. I used to work as a manufacturer's warranty claims investigator so maybe have a higher appreciation for the rules than most. If the dealer can't sell Mazda oil for $5/qt, I can stomach stocking three changes worth of Castrol. I have found Mazda OE oil filters online for $4.75.

M1 is also cheaper than Castrol at AAP this month. $30 for the 5 quarts and the M1 filter. And you can buy individual quarts rather than the big jug.

There's also Castrol Magnatec, which WM carries for under $20 for the 5qt jug
smile.gif

Keep an eye and a nose out for any fuel dilution in the oil which happened with GDI engines. I probably would not go 10k on the oci. Instead, 5k and check the first time and if it seems fine then 7500. Ideally a uoa would be run and with a lab that measures fuel dilution with the better method. Polaris is mentioned as one.

100k now on my sky 3 2.0 all M1 0w20 never burns drop and pristine clean inside I think I'll stick with it.

Dave 123: how do you like your 3? Wouldn’t mind having a base 3 with the 2.0 and manual trans, and they are reasonably priced. Only concern I have is it’s ability to drive 80 mph for hours on end as I still visit my dad in Houston and I-10 is 80 mph most of the way...

My sky 3 with auto wife drives it in traffic everyday at 75 to 80 not a problem at all solid. Sky technology I believe is the absolute best out on market and only technology I will buy in future love it. Side note trans has not been touched yet and at now over 100k shifts like new I might not ever change it.

Last edited:
I hear the Mazda oil is good stuff, but for the price it's hard to beat magnatec.

Really any of the oils mentioned will perform well. Your Sig indicates you're a fan of M1 lubes, so maybe just go with what you know works for you?

Oil brand choice isn't going to compromise warranty coverage if push comes to shove.

I would either use Mobil 1, or as an alternative to the Mazda branded moly oil, I found Idemitsu moly oil on Amazon that is the same as the Mazda Moly oil.

I believed that Idemitsu made the Moly oil for Mazda, so to verify I asked the seller on Amazon, and got this response;

"Is this the oil Mazda rebrands as Mazda Moly oil?
Answer: Hello Nick, that is correct. This product contains factory fill Molybdenum for Mazda SKYACTIV vehicles. It is also applicable to other Asian vehicles that call for 0w-20 engine oil.
By ILA - Customer Support MANUFACTURER on September 26, 2017"

https://www.amazon.com/ZEPRO-Medalist-Ad...s=idemitsu+moly

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
Oil is oil .

This! It only needs to meet API standards and their so close your car will never submit a written complaint!

Originally Posted By: NickT29
I would either use Mobil 1, or as an alternative to the Mazda branded moly oil, I found Idemitsu moly oil on Amazon that is the same as the Mazda Moly oil.
Nice find. Still, that's $8 per quart, too high for many here. Thats good oil. Wish it passed GF-6 (future) or dexos1 Gen2. It probably does as far as I can guess. Just a guess though. .... Oh well, buy a cheap synthetic, like Mobil1 with the rebate, or SuperTech, or NAPA syn on sale, and then put in LM MOS2 to save a few bucks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back