Mexico vs. USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not soccer but tire related. I’m curious why Mazda recommends different tire pressures for the same car and tire size in the US and Mexico. Look here

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Most Americans weigh more than Mexicans.

Yup, but probably not enough to change tire pressure

^^^ This. We're a bunch of fat [censored]

Originally Posted By: Drosselmier
Probably because the ambient temp is higher in Mexico than a lot of parts of USA.

But the unladen pressure is lower...hmmm

Possibility of rougher roads and lower sidewall aspect means more chance of sidewall pinch and flat or blow-out. Harder tires can stand more impact w/o failure. Ride suffers though ...

I dunno about running 45 series tires in Baja ...
laugh.gif

Probably because the ambient temp is higher in Mexico than a lot of parts of USA.

probably my thought too

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

probably my thought too

Then why would they characterize it by loading and not by condition?

Originally Posted By: LotI

But the unladen pressure is lower...hmmm

Yes, so perhaps the road temperature is higher and the pressure still elevates within the tire?

They are not the same tires, I just think that it is funny that they give a spec for "full load".

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

^^^ This. We're a bunch of fat [censored]

Mexico would not be the prime example to use in order to call Americans fat. I live Texas and been to Mexico dozens of time, lots of fat Mexicans, too.

Actually, Mexico is by some measurements most obese country in the world. There are some who claim that that is still the U.S., but it is safe to say that Mexico is on the way to take away that "title" from the U.S.
Mexico most obese country

Originally Posted By: LotI
Not soccer but tire related. I’m curious why Mazda recommends different tire pressures for the same car and tire size in the US and Mexico. Look here
[image omitted]

In other countries, it is not uncommon for there to be more than one tire pressure specification in order to satisfy local conditions. In the US, NHSTA specifies that one and only one pressure be listed on the vehicle tire placard - AND any other pressure specifications be a separate label and/or be listed in the owners manual. But it is fairly common in the US to list just the one to prevent confusion and avoid the legal liability associated with it.

In this case, the local conditions must include lowering the pressure for light load conditions (likely for ride harshness reasons), and Mazda must feel they have to provide a guide.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
In the US, NHSTA specifies that one and only one pressure be listed on the vehicle tire placard - AND any other pressure specifications be a separate label and/or be listed in the owners manual. But it is fairly common in the US to list just the one to prevent confusion and avoid the legal liability associated with it.

In this case, the local conditions must include lowering the pressure for light load conditions (likely for ride harshness reasons), and Mazda must feel they have to provide a guide.

When was that law passed? Because I had a 1996 ES300 (Camry) made in January 96 that had two pressures listed on the label. 26 psi for up to 4 passengers, and 32 psi for max load/GVWR

When was that law passed? Because I had a 1996 ES300 (Camry) made in January 96 that had two pressures listed on the label. 26 psi for up to 4 passengers, and 32 psi for max load/GVWR

This was fallout from the Ford/Firestone situation a few years back. If I understand this correctly, the new vehicle tire placard would not accommodate more than a single pressure recommendation - and those were required starting the 2008 model year.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

This was fallout from the Ford/Firestone situation a few years back. If I understand this correctly, the new vehicle tire placard would not accommodate more than a single pressure recommendation - and those were required starting the 2008 model year.

The TREAD act labels weren't made standard until 2004-2005. It was up to the OEMs to place a tire information placard somewhere where the owner would see it. Toyota liked having it stuck to the glovebox door, Mercedes had it on the fuel flap and Honda had it posted on the driver's B-pillar or passenger's C-pillar.

The dual pressure recommendations were based on vehicle loading. Mercedes and BMW called for adding more pressure for high-speed driving above a certain point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back