This Buck followed me home today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been wanting a target 22 plinker for some time and finally got around to comparing them. Looked at the S&W Victory, Ruger MKIII, MKIV, 22/45 and the Browning Bucks. The Buck Mark felt great in my hand so that was it. I'll hit the range this week for a report.

Originally Posted By: billt460
You can't go wrong with a Browning Buckmark! These are my 4.

Nice collection! Any mods done?

Originally Posted By: funflyer

No. They're all box stock with the exception of the grips on the Camper UFX. I changed out the rubber grips for Cocobolo one's.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Im sorry to be "that guy" but maybe you should block out the SNs on those guns. Never know whos watching......

What’s your concern?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Im sorry to be "that guy" but maybe you should block out the SNs on those guns. Never know whos watching......

What’s your concern?

Exactly. I've been asking that question for years and never have gotten a satisfactory answer. The VIN number on your car is visible to anyone who wants to look, anywhere it's parked. When has it ever caused an issue? I see no difference here. It's amazing how sometimes something will catch on, that has so real significance. Yet everyone starts doing it. Be it covering up serial numbers on guns, or football players kneeling.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Love the grip angle, reminds me of a P08 Luger

Congratulations on the new pistol.

The Buckmark is without a doubt one of the best natural pointing pistols on the market. They shoot like a laser.

One other thing I would mention. Is Browning Buckmark's are not that easy to change out grips on. The frames and models do not interchange like the Ruger Mark pistols do. They tend to be very frame and model specific. And the screws are different lengths, and have different size heads. I have no idea why Browning did this, but you have to be careful when replacing grips.

When I changed out the factory rubber grips on my Camper UFX, I had to replace the screws as well. Because it required different length screws, with different size heads. It's not a "problem" per say, but it is something you have to watch out for. Or you will end up with grips and screws that won't fit your gun. I was able to install the same type of Cocobolo grips from my Hunter Model, but I had to replace the screws at the same time. If you do want to go with different grips on your Buckmark pistol, Midwest Gun Works has several in stock. Along with the proper length and size screws. If you're not sure you can call them, and they'll make sure you get the right one's. They ship fast, and they're good to deal with anything that's Browning Buckmark related.

I should also mention that OEM Browning Buckmark magazines vary in price greatly. Anywhere from $17.99 up to $29.95. And just about everywhere in between. So shop around and look for sales.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/ssearch.html?Search=browning+buckmark+grips#

One other thing I would mention. Is Browning Buckmark's are not that easy to change out grips on. The frames and models do not interchange like the Ruger Mark pistols do. They tend to be very frame and model specific. And the screws are different lengths, and have different size heads. I have no idea why Browning did this, but you have to be careful when replacing grips.

When I changed out the factory rubber grips on my Camper UFX, I had to replace the screws as well. Because it required different length screws, with different size heads. It's not a "problem" per say, but it is something you have to watch out for. Or you will end up with grips and screws that won't fit your gun. I was able to install the same type of Cocobolo grips from my Hunter Model, but I had to replace the screws at the same time. If you do want to go with different grips on your Buckmark pistol, Midwest Gun Works has several in stock. Along with the proper length and size screws. If you're not sure you can call them, and they'll make sure you get the right one's. They ship fast, and they're good to deal with anything that's Browning Buckmark related.

I should also mention that OEM Browning Buckmark magazines vary in price greatly. Anywhere from $17.99 up to $29.95. And just about everywhere in between. So shop around and look for sales.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/ssearch.html?Search=browning+buckmark+grips#

Thanks for the info. All the wood grips on yours look awesome. I was a bit overwhelmed with all the different models from both Ruger and Browning but it was the grips and the feel that sold me on the Browning. I heard they're made for Browning by Hogue but don't know for sure.

Thanks for the info. All the wood grips on yours look awesome. I was a bit overwhelmed with all the different models from both Ruger and Browning but it was the grips and the feel that sold me on the Browning. I heard they're made for Browning by Hogue but don't know for sure.

I like most all of the grips Browning offers as well. They really fit the hand good. The rubber grips on my Camper UFX fit good. I just liked the looks of the Cocobolo grips better. So I went with a pair. I'm not sure who makes Browning grips either. Hogue is certainly a possibility.

If you ever do install different grips, be careful when lifting the grip panels off. They hold either the slide release, or the safety lever captive. I'm not sure which. It's not a problem. But it's good to know before you remove them, so you don't have it stick to the grip panel. Then wind up having it fall on the floor.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

What’s your concern?

If you've filled out a 4473 and/or have hunting or carry license the gov't already has your number.

If you ever need to bury your gun, then it's time to dig them up.

No. They're all box stock with the exception of the grips on the Camper UFX. I changed out the rubber grips for Cocobolo one's.

I took my Buck out to the range yesterday and loved everything about it except for the terrible standard front sight. Shot 300 rounds of different ammo, Federal, CCI and Aguila without any issues. Was getting 1" groups at 20 yards unsupported but should be a bit tighter with better ammo and sights. Eventually I want to add a reflex sight but until then I need a fiber optic sight. Which sight color do you find easier to use in the bright sun, red or green?

Which sight color do you find easier to use in the bright sun, red or green?

Both my Ruger Mark IV Hunter, and Buckmark Challenge Rosewood came with a red fiber optic sight. They stand out a bit better than green in bright sunlight.

I should add that overall I'm not that fond of fiber optic sights... In any color. While I don't dislike them enough to start changing them out, I prefer standard 3-Dot, or else a white post front, and a white U notched rear. Like what Glock provides on their pistols. I also like the white outline rear, and red ramp front that S&W used to provide on all of their large frame, Magnum revolvers. These sights were stoutly constructed, easy to acquire, and held up well in rough use.

A lot of these new plastic, fiber optic sights don't seem to be very ruggedly constructed. And look like they could snag easily, and be damaged. Some look so flimsy, they look like they could be damaged from being carried in a holster for any length of time. As the picture of the red fiber optic sight on my Browning Buckmark shows, it looks very delicate. While this is OK for a target range gun that is carried to and from the range in a protective case. It doesn't serve well for a "kit" or carry gun for general plinking or target shooting.

I should add that overall I'm not that fond of fiber optic sights... In any color. While I don't dislike them enough to start changing them out, I prefer standard 3-Dot, or else a white post front, and a white U notched rear. Like what Glock provides on their pistols. I also like the white outline rear, and red ramp front that S&W used to provide on all of their large frame, Magnum revolvers. These sights were stoutly constructed, easy to acquire, and held up well in rough use.

A lot of these new plastic, fiber optic sights don't seem to be very ruggedly constructed. And look like they could snag easily, and be damaged. Some look so flimsy, they look like they could be damaged from being carried in a holster for any length of time. As the picture of the red fiber optic sight on my Browning Buckmark shows, it looks very delicate. While this is OK for a target range gun that is carried to and from the range in a protective case. It doesn't serve well for a "kit" or carry gun for general plinking or target shooting.

When I'm out wondering and plinking I prefer the S&W 22 Compact on my hip as it's feather light compared to others. The Buck will be used as a fun range gun, not carried in a holster but in a padded case only. Talk about snags, the stock sight is huge with very square/sharp corners. I think I'll try to paint the front blade white for now and order a red f/o sight to try before going to a reflex sight. Thanks, again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back