2007 Sedona ATF Drain & Fill - 190K Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to YouTube I bought a 15/16" wrench and did my first drain & Fill : 50% with Hyundai SPIII and 50% with Eneos SPIII . Prior to that I had my mechanic do it every 30K to 40K miles . I got about 5.5 qrts out of it and the fluid was dark red/brown . Also the drain plug magnet had about a 1/4" ~ 1/2" of gunk all around it which I cleaned off real good . I have not bought the Eneos SPIII before (always just bought SPIII from the Hyundai dealer) - the Eneos is a little cheaper and sold at NAPA which is much closer than the Hyundai dealer . How long should I drive before doing another ATF drain and fill and also your thoughts on Eneos SPIII ATF ?

I would take a look at the fluid color and see if it remains more red than brown. If it does, then leave it in for 15-20,000 Miles and then do another drain and fill.

Otherwise do a drain and fill in a months time. Does the van have a removable drain pain and filter? If it does, I'd drop the pan and change the filter on the next service.

Originally Posted By: JC1
I would take a look at the fluid color and see if it remains more red than brown. If it does, then leave it in for 15-20,000 Miles and then do another drain and fill.

+1 for fluid color.

No drain pan or filter in the Sedona ... *Eneos SPIII wording about as close as you can get to OEM SPIII (Hyundai) from what I have read - not sure about Maxlife ?

Somewhere in the past I've written about my experience with my SO's 2006 Sedona. In a nutshell, the 2-3 or 3-4 shift began to flare somewhere shortly past 100,000 miles (the ATF had never been changed along the way). I immediately did a drain and fill using MaxLife. That stopped the slipping, though of course there had been some excess wear to reach that point. Since that first ATF swap, I've done partial changes every 12-15,000 miles. Overkill, maybe, but cheaper than transmission replacement. I've tried MaxLife, Dex III, and Castol Import ATF. Shifting was strange with the Dex III. Using only MaxLife, the downshift at slow speeds would sometimes be abrupt. A big percentage of Castrol gave sloppy shifts. For the past few years I've used a 50/50 mix of MaxLife and Castrol; that seems to give the results I prefer. At 227,000 miles the transmission still operates 'as normal', so I'm happy.

There always seems to be some issue or another with any brand that isn't SPIII from Hyundai / Kia ... Why is this ? I suppose "meets" SPIII is not the same as "certified" SPIII ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back