The Pigmy Pony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm house sitting my daughters place while they are in Melbourne for a week, they have 2.5 acres on the edge of town. Feeding 3 cats and keeping an eye on 3 minature horses. It's spring, lots of grass, so I don't have to feed them, or shift them around the property. They got 2, and as a surprise one was pregnant. Breeze is a dwarf minature horse, and can have problems because as a dwarf, she has real size organs in her little body. She's very friendly and likes lots of attention, and gets places she isn't supposed to be...she was found in the house once. Next door is a big paddock, with big horses, and you often find them together at the fenceline. But sometimes, being large dog sized, Breeze will get through the fence to be with the big horses...so I have to check she is still on the property. She also has one eye, one got damaged when only a few days old.

The other 2, the white one is Breeze's mother.

It was hard to get a group picture because they want to get close...if I walk back they come with me.

They are cute! It would be fun for the kids to have one trained to pull a cart, but I'm not really keen on having horses of any size on the farm. Or are there miniature vet bills to go with them? I know I don't want full size horse vet bills!

Id love to name one Tyrion Lannister

Sae some local dococ on the real horse sized issues these little ones have...full grown teeth in little sized heads was a bit sad.

Not miniature/dwarf, a hundred years ago, there would have been horses crossing my boundaries...100 feet underground.

Same here, possibly under my house. I saw a map of tunnels of the area some time ago, I never realised it was so extensive, a grid pattern under the whole subdivision.

A cart and harness would be good for them, just a matter of finding one. They do use them to pull dead trees around sometimes. Otherwise they are just fussy mowers. Buttercups grow on the sewage lines, they won't eat them.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Same here, possibly under my house. I saw a map of tunnels of the area some time ago, I never realised it was so extensive, a grid pattern under the whole subdivision.

I suspected that with your location it would have been the same.

Here's ours...the old place was clearly on top of old workings...new place is a bit indecipherable on the old map, but there's a Caveat that some 150 year old company is allowed to go under it to get coal.

Lithgow-Collieries.jpg

http://burningmistsoftime.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Lithgow-Collieries.jpg

for an expanded view...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
They are cute! It would be fun for the kids to have one trained to pull a cart, but I'm not really keen on having horses of any size on the farm. Or are there miniature vet bills to go with them? I know I don't want full size horse vet bills!
Horses no matter what size get full size vet bills. Own a horse and see why Ferrari uses a horse on its logo. they cost about the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back