5w40 HDEO vs 20w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really considering a run of Delo LE 5w40 in my 11' FLTRX. I do yearly OCI's anyway and CO gets cool at times. Most riding I do is 3500 miles in a 12 month period so I really think this will hold up fine. Anyone else here run the thinner HDEO in their v-twins?

Yes, they get warm I know... A full syn 5w40 should still be plenty stout IMO.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Does Delo 5w-40 "thin out" and shear like some complaints I have read about the Rotella T6 5w-40.

It is a Harley so no shared sump to tear up the oil.

I have seen the recent VOA's of the new spec diesel oils and they look unappealing to me with the exception of Rotella. I would probably look to something like Valvoline VR1, Kendall GT1, or Mobil 1 in a 20w50 (15w50 in the case of Mobil 1) flavor if you want a cheaper alternative to motorcycle oil.

Harley says to use 10/40 when the temp is under 40f. A 5/ 40 wt wt might be a bit to thin to use year round. Lowest I would go is 15/40 for cold weather use only. A 15/50 would be closer to what Harley recommends for year round use.,,

Originally Posted By: sw99
Really considering a run of Delo LE 5w40 in my 11' FLTRX. I do yearly OCI's anyway and CO gets cool at times. Most riding I do is 3500 miles in a 12 month period so I really think this will hold up fine. Anyone else here run the thinner HDEO in their v-twins?

I wouldnt do it. 5/40 a bit thin, unless you ride in 80 degree and under temps full time.
I think if you wanted an HEDO then the conventional 15/40 is a far better choice actually might even be preferrable for 75 degree and lower riding temps and can easily handle going up to 5000 miles over a years time.

Anything else and its 15/50 or 20/50.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I have seen the recent VOA's of the new spec diesel oils and they look unappealing to me with the exception of Rotella. ...

Add to the list Valvoline Premium Blue Diesel oil, same deal they didnt slash the phos and zinc like some others have.

I wouldn't use anything but 20W-50. I tried 15W-40 diesel oil in the winter (for the occasional warm day so the bike would be easier to start) and I could hear the engine making more noise than usual in the top end after about 700 miles. FWIW I'm using Valvoline VR1 20W-50 and changing once a year.

for a good cheap oil Mystic's 15-50 Diesel is hard to beat. my sportster would not start with amsoil 20-50 in the winter, stored indoors unheated, 10-40 cured that, a 15W would prolly do ok. Mystic is blended by Citgo who blended HD oils. a 5-40 would be good for the coldest riding most anyone would do + prolly hold up in colder weather

I usually use the Quicksilver (Mercury) from WM @ $25 and it's full synthetic. I just have a hard time believing that a full syn 5w40 HDEO is not capable of the task of the air cooled v-twin. We do have several 90*+ days during the summer so I certainly dont want to do any harm.

unless its a true synthetic group IV or V oil a 5 whatever starts as a 5 with viscosity improvers added, a lot for a 5W40, on the other hand a 30W PAO passes tests + flows like a 10w30 oil. mineral oils that start heavier + have smaller spreads are better!!!

Originally Posted By: benjy
unless its a true synthetic group IV or V oil a 5 whatever starts as a 5 with viscosity improvers added, a lot for a 5W40, on the other hand a 30W PAO passes tests + flows like a 10w30 oil. mineral oils that start heavier + have smaller spreads are better!!!

What exactly is this "5" thing that it starts out as?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: benjy

What exactly is this "5" thing that it starts out as?

I think they are saying all 5w-xx oils start out as a 5 weight oil and then things are added to thicken it up.
So a 5w-20 oil is the same thing as a 5w-40 oil with more thickening agents.

At least that is how I read it.
21.gif

I run Rotella T6 (5W-40) in the winter and Valoline VR-1 in the summer. My winters get to the teens regularly with daytime highs into the 60's. The Rotella works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back