Family owned vs dealership for oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
What is your opinion on using a locally owned oil change shop for routine maintenance versus the dealership?
I have a few friends that use this family owned shop and have no complaints. Both of my Toyotas are currently 100% dealership maintained, but it’s beome a pain to have to wait or drop off the vehicles to get an oil change.

I see the benefit of the dealer as being all they see are Toyota and they’re familiar with them along with keeping up with the recommend service intervals. The pros to the local shop are that the oil change would be much quicker and from what I’ve heard the people are known in the area and very trustworthy, noble people.

One other thing: our 2015 Highlander is right at 60k miles. Wondering what fluids I should be changing at this point (other than oil)?

Side note: I know it would be quickest to do the oil change myself but I’m not interested..I’m in graduate school and we have a 2 year old. I’d rather spend my free time with my wife and son
smile.gif

What does the dealership know about changing oil that an oil change shop doesn't know about changing oil?

I can assure you that the hiring requirements for dealership lube techs are NOT stringent
crazy2.gif

I'd prefer the independent place if you can supply your own parts/fluids. Generally, I prefer the places that it's just one or two people running it, you talk to the guy that does the work. Whenever they have receptionists etc, it's basically the dealer to me. Just a pain and you don't know who's working on your vehicle. The few independents I use, I just walk right into the garage and ask if they have minute to talk whenever I'd like to book something.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
What does the dealership know about changing oil that an oil change shop doesn't know about changing oil?

I can assure you that the hiring requirements for dealership lube techs are NOT stringent
crazy2.gif

But...but... I thought only genuine factory trained & authorized ASE certified technicians do oil changes at the dealer!
shocked.gif

Side note: I know it would be quickest to do the oil change myself but I’m not interested..I’m in graduate school and we have a 2 year old. I’d rather spend my free time with my wife and son
smile.gif
[/quote]

It takes like a whole half hour to do the job right...

I really don't mean to offend anyone with this, and I can kind of understand why someone might want to have their vehicle maintained at a dealer, but...I can't help but feel like these people are suckers.

Dealers run deals, just like other chains, but overall it appears to be more expensive to maintain a vehicle at a dealer. Most local dealers now have Keurig coffee machines and some sweet magazine subscriptions in their waiting areas, but that doesn't seem to make up for the expensive maintenance and up-selling of unnecessary maintenance.

I have only ever been to the dealer for warranty work, but nearly every time I hear some poor shill paying HUNDREDS of dollars for maintenance that I can't help feel is unnecessary. While I had my previous '08 Civic in for the Takata airbag replacement I struck up a conversation with another guy waiting, who used to work for my company. A few minutes later the service writer came in and talked him into a $400 front pad replacement and rotor turning, because his pads were low. The guy seemed more of a talker than a listener, so I didn't dare tell him that I thought it was a bad idea or that he should have a local shop take a look at it. His car was past warranty and he was getting his Accords oil changed for $50, so he wasn't coming there with a coupon in hand, so...

You will save a lot of time doing it yourself. There is no secret knowledge dealers have. It's not that complicated.

Originally Posted By: rollinpete

Side note: I’d rather spend my free time with my wife and son
smile.gif

Or you could spend some free money on your wife and son.

I would have routine service done at the dealer, until the warranty is up. If you have warranty issues, it will go much better if you had the service done at the dealer. If it is out of warranty, if you can find a reputable shop with the right experience and tools/equipment for your vehicle, I wouldn't see a problem with that.

It's your life and your money. Do what makes you happy. You don't need an excuse for doing that. There was a time I was in college, worked and was raising two kids at the same time with my wife. But I also had time to rebuild a couple of MGB's at the same time. As my kids got older they were in the garage with me learning how to change oil and filter, along with brake jobs, plug changes etc.. It was fun.

Originally Posted By: RN89
smile.gif

You'll change your mind about that after the first major damage done by the oil change person.

smile.gif

I'm not sure I understand. It's quicker to do it yourself, but you'd rather a shop take longer and you have to drive to them, then wait in the waiting room for them to do it for you, then you have less time with the family...

Hello all,
What is your opinion on using a locally owned oil change shop for routine maintenance versus the dealership?
I have a few friends that use this family owned shop and have no complaints. Both of my Toyotas are currently 100% dealership maintained, but it’s beome a pain to have to wait or drop off the vehicles to get an oil change.

I see the benefit of the dealer as being all they see are Toyota and they’re familiar with them along with keeping up with the recommend service intervals. The pros to the local shop are that the oil change would be much quicker and from what I’ve heard the people are known in the area and very trustworthy, noble people.

One other thing: our 2015 Highlander is right at 60k miles. Wondering what fluids I should be changing at this point (other than oil)?

smile.gif

Your Highlander is due for 60K service. That's more than an oil change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'm not sure I understand. It's quicker to do it yourself, but you'd rather a shop take longer and you have to drive to them, then wait in the waiting room for them to do it for you, then you have less time with the family...

That's right! You're a smart dude Nick.
smile.gif

Or, you know, he just drops the car off while he's doing something else...

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Or, you know, he just drops the car off while he's doing something else...

Both are possible.

With a Fumoto valve and top-mounted oil filter, I spend single-digit minutes away from my family, while changing my oil at home. Slide the drain pan under and open the valve; walk away for 10+ minutes. Come back and swap the filter out, and then add 6 quarts of oil. My two year-old is curious enough and attentive enough to hang out and watch me. I let him hold the flashlight, but we all know there's no value added in that, other than for him to shine it in my face and pretend he's helping.

You've got to stop picking on the dealership lot boy. They've told him what hole the oil comes out of and what hole the new oil goes into and which one to do first. If he gets all this worked out he won't have to wash cars or empty ashtrays anymore and then he becomes eligible to advance to rotating tires. You can be sure that most of the time he'll get the order correct, that is draining the oil before adding new oil. Just have your coupon ready and be prepared to watch that red oil pressure warning light that will tell you if he got mixed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back