What temp is safe to shut down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Excursion with a 7.3L PSD. I bought it at 140k and I have no idea of the maintenance history, but it was bone stock except for a drop-in K&N (which is long gone). Earlier this year I replaced all the O-rings and HPOP hoses, replaced the turbo with a Garrett 38R, and put a set of 160/80 injectors in. I've always used Rotella T6 5w-40 in it and Blackstone says my engine is in great shape.

I'm familiar with most of the saga over Ford and CK-4 oil, but from what I've read (and also a little common sense thrown in) I really don't think the issue affects older diesels like mine. I should have no problem running CK-4 going forward, right?

Here is my main question: At what temperature (EGT-wise) is it safe to shut down the engine? I've been told 400 is the maximum, but I also think that the information is probably quite a bit dated and based on older oil like CI-4 or even CH-4, both of which were more susceptible to coking. So the question is, with modern oil, do I need to let the turbo cool down some before I shut it down?

Thanks for any input.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
http://www.powerstrokehelp.com/

That's not an answer, and I really don't care what Bill says anyway as half the things he believes are made-up nonsense.

Originally Posted By: CT8
close to 300*f.

I can let it idle all day long with the AC off and it will never reach 300* F.

Originally Posted By: 73PSD
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
http://www.powerstrokehelp.com/

That's not an answer, and I really don't care what Bill says anyway as half the things he believes are made-up nonsense.

Originally Posted By: CT8
close to 300*f.

I can let it idle all day long with the AC off and it will never reach 300* F.
Close. My wife has a 2002 Power Stroke and it gets down to about 325 maybe 3408 ish on the pyrometer at 100+ temps during the summer idling at best, so around 300.

Originally Posted By: 73PSD

I'm familiar with most of the saga over Ford and CK-4 oil, but from what I've read (and also a little common sense thrown in) I really don't think the issue affects older diesels like mine. I should have no problem running CK-4 going forward, right?

Thanks for any input.

The "saga" does appear to be coming to an end now that so many 5w40s are being added to the Approved list and no chemistry changes took place to make that list so CK-4 should present no issues; however,
it was Ford itself who stated the new API rated oils affected ALL Powerstrokes. CK-4 only came about to address the issues unique to new diesel emission systems and minimal concern would have been given to your 17 year old 7.3 which both the EPA and new car manufacturers would like to see off the road anyway.
grin.gif

Hope your X has many years ahead of it.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
however, it was Ford itself who stated the new API rated oils affected ALL Powerstrokes. CK-4 only came about to address the issues unique to new diesel emission systems and minimal concern would have been given to your 17 year old 7.3 which both the EPA and new car manufacturers would like to see off the road anyway.
grin.gif

That's how I feel about it. The message from Ford was targeted to the 6.7L trucks and they never said how much, if any, of the concern was for older diesels. Since oil specs are supposed to be backward compatible so I tend to believe that there wouldn't be any issues with CK-4 in an older engine.

Hope your X has many years ahead of it.

It better - I just spent a bunch of money on it!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Is this turbo water-cooled?

No, it's not.

When I had my '02 7,3 I worried a little at first.
But the reality is unless you are towing a heavy load, no need to wait at all.
Most of the time looking for a parking spot or idling around the lot is good enough.

I had 304k when mine was stolen... wish I was still driving it,
Blackstone said 400k would be no issue on mine.

On our stationary generators, we cool them to 600f before shutting down.

Too late for me to edit my earlier post to add Ford's "Position Statement".

API CK-4
Ford will not be recommending the use of CK-4 motor oils in any Ford diesel engines, new or old. Testing Ford has done on some CK-4 formulations have shown inadequate wear protection compared to CJ-4 formulations developed and licensed before 2016.

But it all seems like much ado about nothing at this point.

I don't have a certain temp, but most 7.3 forums says 5min after freeway driving or towing. If your just short tripping around town, no need. That's what I do.

What does Garrett say? After all, you just got a new turbo, and the issue really is about oil coming in the bearings of the turbo...

API CK-4
Ford will not be recommending the use of CK-4 motor oils in any Ford diesel engines, new or old. Testing Ford has done on some CK-4 formulations have shown inadequate wear protection compared to CJ-4 formulations developed and licensed before 2016.

Considering an E6 lubricant was already on the old "E" list, their position is laughable at best, especially when it comes to older engines.

I've had several diesels over the years (still have a few) and I've never been able to get my Dmax EGTs much lower than 350-370 after the engine is fully warmed. The only time I see anything as low as 300F is right after a cold start. As the block/pistons warm up, it will idle around 350-370 shortly after a cool down period.

Given the history of the 7.3L and it's turbo system, I'd say it won't matter much, as that is generally not a failure mode associated with the 7.3PSD. I'd say if you can get it below 400F for a few minutes, allowing it to balance at that temp, it will be fine.

If you've been pulling heavy loads, and have heat-soaked the engine bay, it often helps to cool down quicker if you pop the hood; helps transfer the heat a bit quicker rather than it pooling in under the hood. That is, of course, depending upon the conveniences or obstacles of doing so.

As for the CK-4 in your old 7.3L, I'd not worry about it. Ford has done nothing to fully inform anyone of WHY they have stated such a concern, and yet they not only say it's an issue with current engines (6.7L,) but all engines previously produced aren't compatible either? As if they've taken the time to grab some old 7.3L and 6.0L trucks and spend engineering time and money assessing the risks with testing? That's a load of bovine manure! Further, has Navistar come out publicly with the same concern? Not that I'm aware of.

Last edited:
I only let mine cool down when it's been working hard (heavy towing/hauling) or long highway trips at high speeds. Just driving around town there's no need to let it idle.

Even after working hard and the EGT's elevated, usually the short trip from freeway/highway to house or where I going to stop has the EGT's dropped down considerably so that It is infrequent for me to let it idle for more than a few seconds after driving. About the only time I may let it idle for a little bit to drop EGT's is those times where I immediately go from highway work to a stop in a rest area. Not enough time in that short stop to let things cool down on their own. Even then, that is primary on hot days, not cooler times of the year.

This.
My 12v drops down to 320-350 pre turbos within a few seconds of idling.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I shut my Cummins down when EGT (pre-turbine) reaches 350F.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

As for the CK-4 in your old 7.3L, I'd not worry about it. Ford has done nothing to fully inform anyone of WHY they have stated such a concern, and yet they not only say it's an issue with current engines (6.7L,) but all engines previously produced aren't compatible either? As if they've taken the time to grab some old 7.3L and 6.0L trucks and spend engineering time and money assessing the risks with testing? That's a load of bovine manure!

At first sight, that does not appear to make very much sense.

Based solely on the statement reproduced above, if the concern is "inadequate wear protection" that sounds like a pretty general concern, and seems fairly unlikely to be specific to any particular engine technology or model.

In those circumstances it does not seem reasonable to expect or require them to test all old engines before issuing a cautionary statement.

The other way around I could see they might be being economical with the truth. (I don't, for example, entirely believe all the jive about the latest skinny low zinc oils being just fine for flat tappet engines) but I can't see Ford's motivation for talking down the latest diesel oils.

However, I'm not really aware of the background to this story. Diesel cars don't make much sense in Taiwan but I do use CJ HDEO in a petrol car, which may become unavailable, so it might affect me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back