Benefits of Ethanol-Free Fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of switching to ethanol-free gas for all my OPE.
Is it really worth switching to this fuel?

I guess it would depend on what E0 costs per gallon in your area.Ethanol free 90-octane in my area is $2.80 and 91-octane with Ethanol is $3.15.

My personal opinion is that its worth it to me to run it in my motorcycles and OPE even if it were 20% more expensive but I respect your criteria might be different. Do you store your OPE for extended periods?

EDIT:

I see you are in FL and if you are near the coast then "Rec" gas is typically a decent price.

Last edited:
You're going to get a million opinions on that question, and I'll guess most will say it is worth going out of your way to use E0. However, in my experience it makes no difference at all. We live in an EPA non-attainment area and the only fuel we've had for years and years has been E10. My 25 year old Toro lawn mower, my 17 year old snow thrower and lawn tractor, my 15 year old string trimmer and my 10 year old chain saw all run on E10 and have for as long as I've owned them. I do not use an additive nor a fuel stabilizer, nor do I always run the fuel out at the end of the season. All are still running fine and I've not had to replace anything except a carb bowl gasket on my snow thrower. So from my perspective I honestly don't see what the problem is nor have I had anything out of the ordinary fail on my equipment.

I'd have to drive nearly 20 miles to get E0 and I really don't see what the advantage would be.

I use e-10 for my boat and all ope. I add marine stabil and seafoam in the maintenance dose and have had zero problems using fuel that is up to 1year old. I store it in my boat and fill my ope tanks from the fuel line in my boat. The boat has 25 gallons and i dont run it as much as i used to so it tends to stay in there a while.

When you figure the cost of stabil and seafoam it is pretty high per gallon but it is readily avaialble.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
You're going to get a million opinions on that question, and I'll guess most will say it is worth going out of your way to use E0. However, in my experience it makes no difference at all. We live in an EPA non-attainment area and the only fuel we've had for years and years has been E10. My 25 year old Toro lawn mower, my 17 year old snow thrower and lawn tractor, my 15 year old string trimmer and my 10 year old chain saw all run on E10 and have for as long as I've owned them. I do not use an additive nor a fuel stabilizer, nor do I always run the fuel out at the end of the season. All are still running fine and I've not had to replace anything except a carb bowl gasket on my snow thrower. So from my perspective I honestly don't see what the problem is nor have I had anything out of the ordinary fail on my equipment.

I'd have to drive nearly 20 miles to get E0 and I really don't see what the advantage would be.

That IS interesting.

I would not have thought such abherrant behaviors would exist on BITOG.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
I use e-10 for my boat and all ope. I add marine stabil and seafoam in the maintenance dose and have had zero problems using fuel that is up to 1year old. I store it in my boat and fill my ope tanks from the fuel line in my boat. The boat has 25 gallons and i dont run it as much as i used to so it tends to stay in there a while.

When you figure the cost of stabil and seafoam it is pretty high per gallon but it is readily avaialble.

Some people who make their living on boats might argue that a marine environment is not the place to use E10.
Do you trailer or is it dockside?

I run ethanol free in my push mowers and 2-stroke equipment. From past experience, I'm lucky to get 2 years out of the plastic 'carburetor' on a push mower using E-10. My ride-on mowers seem to tolerate E-10 pretty well.

Keep in mind this is humid Florida.

Every OPE mech I've ever talked to has said not to use ethanol so I never have but I feel lucky I can get E0 at a reasonable price, most can't. If your buying and using up fresh gas every 30 days you should be fine but I wouldn't trust it any longer than that without adding marine stable or some additive designed to treat E10.

You will get better gas mileage. My question is whether or not you can find a Top Tier non-ethanol gasoline.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
You will get better gas mileage. My question is whether or not you can find a Top Tier non-ethanol gasoline.

I suppose it would depnd on where you live.

For me personally, I will place priority on E0 over Top Tier...but its a personal choice:

You have probably already seen this site. It has a map feaure:
https://www.pure-gas.org

I switched to ethanol free after replacing the carbs on my Echo trimmer and Husqi blower. Never had a problem with mower but I'm in the camp that it's worth it, at least for me.

All fuel will go bad if it sits long enough. E-10 gas does go bad faster than non ethanol gas but by how much faster it goes bad is debatable. Ethanol also has other disadvantages to it such as stripping lubricity from 2 stroke engines, deteriorating plastic and rubber parts that are not intended for use with ethanol and absorbing higher amounts of moisture. On the other hand, ethanol laced fuels do burn a little cleaner and ethanol is sourced from the U.S.

If you have Non ethanol gas near you, for what you consider a reasonable price, I would say go for it. If it is far away or costs a lot more than e-10, I would say don't bother. Either way, I would add a fuel treatment of some sort to your gas. They will help lessen the problems with ethanol and keep the gas fresh a little longer. I like K100MG or Biobor EB fuel treatments for my OPE gas.

You would not find a Top Tier E-0 Fuel. As per toptiergas.com to meet the Top Tier spec, all Top Tier fuels must be E-10.

If you search using my name under the Fuels subforum, I wrote how I take Premium fuel and wash the alcohol out of it to use on my OPE. The end result is pure gasoline that costs only 10% more than E10. The extra cost reflects the fact that the BTUs from alcohol are removed. It's a post that is around five years old.

I use pure gas in my OPE because all of them get used only sporadically. Been using it for five years already. Even the lawn mower can sit for up to five weeks unused during the season.

Originally Posted By: strongt

You would not find a Top Tier E-0 Fuel. As per toptiergas.com to meet the Top Tier spec, all Top Tier fuels must be E-10.

Interesting.

I can say with certainty that I purchase E0 from a Top Tier station, Sunoco; but from your link that rating only applies to the E10 fuels sold there.

Thanks for doing the homework.

I dont use enough gas in ope that price for premium makes much of a difference. I just use premium non ethanol. Maybe costs me 2$ more per season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back