High Mileage transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
What gear oil would you recommend for a 350k mile, 5 spd manual, 2wd Toyota transmission. Any additive? Transmission is ok, kinda noisy.

Not sure of an additive for it. Important thing is to get some new, fresh MTF in it. I know Honda manuals love AC Delco Friction Modified MTF to get rid of/prevent gear grind. Might get some of that. Honda has a TSB to use that on grinding transmissions. That seems to work better than even Redline MTF esp in cold temps.

Can't go wrong with Redline...Member OneEyePete uses it in his '84 Honda.

Hmmm...synthetic for something thats worn? I was thinking more 80/90 with some oatmeal mixed in.
wink.gif
Then again, we do see -30 in the winter.

Last edited:
Liqui Moly ceratec is good to use in gear boxes as far as I know....just not in wet clutches like a auto. Should fill in a bit of the wear scares and such but who knows...I like it in my engine oil.

Originally Posted By: opus
Hmmm...synthetic for something thats worn? I was thinking more 80/90 with some oatmeal mixed in.
wink.gif
Then again, we do see -30 in the winter.

That's the Depression-era solution right?
lol.gif

A good lube is a good lube. Syn in cold cold winter...
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Kuato
[
That's the Depression-era solution right?
lol.gif

A good lube is a good lube. Syn in cold cold winter...
thumbsup2.gif

That or sawdust....
whistle.gif

I have had best results from Redline MT-90 (75W-90) or Amsoil MTG 75W-90, both dedicated GL-4 manual transmission gear lubes. Toyota usually allows for a GL-5 gear lube as well in their manual trans units, but I have had better shifting from the Redline or Amsoil dedicated lubes. Kind of expensive for an old trans, but very smooth if that's what you are looking for.

Just trying to help it along. Engine is in the same condition. Runs like it came from the factory but it too has the same miles on it.

Because I put gear oil in a manual transmission, unlike transmission fluid in an automatic transmission.

Since someone mentioned my 84 Civic 5-speed I'll explain what happened to me.

When I purchased the Civic new I wanted to take really good care of it. The manual called for 10w-30 engine oil so I used Mobil 1 and changed it every 30-50K miles. At 200K the bearing started to make noise so I pulled it and rebuilt it replacing only bearings, seals, some washers and snap rings, no gears, shafts or synchronizers. An oil analysis leading up to the overhaul showed that the engine oil sheared down quite a bit. So, I did some research and switched to Red Line MTL that is made specifically for manual transmissions and was recommended for this application. Now at 460K miles everything is still quiet and working like new. I learned my lesson.

Red Line MTL

I just purchased a Scion xB self-propelled cardboard box with 131K and will be replacing the manual transmission oil with Red Line Mt-90.

Red Line Mt-90

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Why is transmission in the title but asking for recommendation for gear oil?

Because I put gear oil in a manual transmission, unlike transmission fluid in an automatic transmission.

Get rekt warstud lol

I thought your transmission should be fine with a GL5 80W90 or slightly thicker.
Had you been using thinner GL5 all this while?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back