Ceiling fan or tower fan for living room?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to get a fan for my living room (connected to the kitchen). There is no hookup for a ceiling fan so I would need a box and wiring installed, which sounds like it can get pricey. Not sure if I should just get a tower fan to blow at the couches.

I installed the fans in the bedrooms but they were prewired and capped so it was easy to do. I would have to hire someone for an install on the living room.

Any advice from anyone here? If anyone has a tower fan they recommend, let me know.

If you can get your ceiling to support the fan, you don't need an electrical box there. Just "hardwire" an extension cord to the fan, then run it along the ceiling and down the wall to an outlet. You can paint the cord a color to match ceiling and walls, so it looks nice. Here in Phoenix where ceiling fans are a must a lot of homeowners do it that way.

If you have it already wired for a light you can just use that wire to run both the lights and the fan. use the pull chains to adjust the fan or turn the lights off while leaving the fan on.

They are really not too bad. Check youtube.

Make sure you know how to safely work with electricity before you do it. Turn off that breaker and verity its off with a meter before you touch anything.

Like said, ceiling fans are the way to go in some applications and if applicable of course. I've got some in my home and use some high velocity circular floor fans in other areas. Central A/C would be expensive in my home since it is setup with hot water baseboard heat (no ductwork). For downstairs, I use one of those HFT floor blowers to blow down the hall from the mudroom to the family room. They move an insane amount of air for a small package and aren't too loud. The one I use is just like this pic I borrowed online:
maxresdefault.jpg

Ceiling fan, if your ceiling is high enough.

Poke a small hole in the ceiling for the wire.

Use lag screws to attach fan mount to a joist.

What's above the ceiling?

A tower fan or most any fan busy the nicest oscillator models can be pretty darn ugly.

Id try to get a ceiling fan in, even if you only have two wires and need to use a remote to control the lights and fan motion.

Originally Posted By: azjake
If you can get your ceiling to support the fan, you don't need an electrical box there. Just "hardwire" an extension cord to the fan, then run it along the ceiling and down the wall to an outlet. You can paint the cord a color to match ceiling and walls, so it looks nice. Here in Phoenix where ceiling fans are a must a lot of homeowners do it that way.

This is a BAD idea and a safety hazard. If you can't fish a 14 gauge electrical wire from a wall receptacle or an existing ceiling box or if you don't want to pay the cost of an electrician, Lowe's and Home Depot sell wiring kits with metal or plastic conduit that attaches to the wall and ceiling to hide the wiring. Still first you need to be sure you have a solid ceiling joist and get a true metal ceiling fan mounting box. They sell the kind with expandable wings to snug up against the ceiling joists if you can't screw a mounting box in place. It's not hard, just sometimes a PITA. I've done about 20 of them. My favorite fan is the Hunter Original.

Agree on the Hunter brand fans.

I replaced 2 of the 3 ceiling fans in my home, and put a nice Hunter fan in the living room.

It has worked flawlessly and we use it almost continuously here.

Some of the off brands like hamilton beach are junk.

I had a couple fan boxes installed when the addition was wired. The electrician used a box with spreaders. The first one failed in short order. I replaced it with a a few pieces of 1x3 strapping and lots of 2" screws. PITN, but 30+ yrs later fan is still working. I favor cheap, small 4 bladed fans. They are easier to assemble and generally require less fiddling. The one in the big bedroom is 35 yrs old. Cost 15$ at the local bargain outlet

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

A tower fan or most any fan busy the nicest oscillator models can be pretty darn ugly.

Id try to get a ceiling fan in, even if you only have two wires and need to use a remote to control the lights and fan motion.

there is a bathroom above where I would need it mounted, this fan would be on floor 2 of 3. Can they install what they need without tearing anything up above?

Originally Posted By: BigBuck
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

there is a bathroom above where I would need it mounted, this fan would be on floor 2 of 3. Can they install what they need without tearing anything up above?

All depends, that's why I was asking...

If it were attic, might be easy to tap power at least... in your situation, aid suspect its a matter of what direction the joists run, and where they can fish wires to. For example, say they could get to a point where they could tap into the power to an outlet in the bathroom... might be an option. I'd suspect you'll need to have at least one additional drywall hole to do the job. Not the end of the world.

The nice thing with fans these days is that you don't need a hard wired switch or switches, or a pull string (necessarily, check local codes). You can wire a single conductor set to a fan, and then use remote controls to independently control the fan and light.

A swag kit is all you need, no need to hard wire a fan. I installed two fans for a friend in her mobile home this way because there was no access too run wiring without removing/cutting ceiling panels. White cord and chain was used to match the ceiling and wall color.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
A swag kit is all you need, no need to hard wire a fan. I installed two fans for a friend in her mobile home this way because there was no access too run wiring without removing/cutting ceiling panels. White cord and chain was used to match the ceiling and wall color.

We did that once in a rec room at our mountain home where there was no access above and no way to hardwire. Works fine. Looks ok for a rec room or a tailer, but might not be the look that OP wants for that space. It certainly is the easiest way to skin the cat...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back