Mobil 1 Synthetic noisier than other brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 14 sienna V6 uses 0w20. I have run PP, Synpower and Magnatec 0w20 flavors in it before and all were buttery quiet and smooth after the oil change.
I got some M1 AFE 0w20 jugs due to the rebate and to try and notices slightly noisier run after the change. It wasn't horrendous but noticeable even to my wife.

I've read toyota forum complaints about M1 for this before, which is why used the other brands previously. I'm sure its good oil and a UOA would show great numbers but why does it make the engine noiseier than the other oils? Does it run on the thin end of the 0w20 range?

This topic comes up several times a year. I've never noticed M1 being noiser than other oils but there are others who make the claim.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
My 14 sienna V6 uses 0w20. I have run PP, Synpower and Magnatec 0w20 flavors in it before and all were buttery quiet and smooth after the oil change.
I got some M1 AFE 0w20 jugs due to the rebate and to try and notices slightly noisier run after the change. It wasn't horrendous but noticeable even to my wife.

I've read toyota forum complaints about M1 for this before, which is why used the other brands previously. I'm sure its good oil and a UOA would show great numbers but why does it make the engine noiseier than the other oils? Does it run on the thin end of the 0w20 range?
.....................................................................................................................................

I ran the mobil 5w30 and noticed that my engine was noisier also...I'm curious how was the magnatec?

Last edited:
M1 is really pure. It transmits noise much better!
smile.gif
whistle.gif
smirk.gif

This is BITOG. You need to learn that just because some people are tone deaf and can't tell any difference, you can't either.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
Originally Posted By: danez_yoda

.....................................................................................................................................

I ran the mobil 5w30 and noticed that my engine was noisier also...I'm curious how was the magnatec?

Magnetec is on the thicker end of the viscosity scale. It purred like butter but I could feel it was a little more sluggish for the first few tanks. Either I got used to it or it thinned down a little. ran fine out to the OCI? Toyota OEM canister filter.

Last edited:
Not the first time I've read this about M1. Plus sometimes it may use a little oil when changing over to it. But both points doesn't mean it's a bad oil. I would run it the normal interval. Magntec has a history of running quiet per posts on here and elsewhere. Prob my next oil which is coming up soon.

My silverado has crazy lifter tick when i tried Castrol Edge. It's the weirdest thing. Not sure what the issue is but it's crazy. Every other brand I've used the engine is smooth and no noises.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Not the first time I've read this about M1.

And you can read about it all day and into next week if you want to.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
This topic comes up several times a year. I've never noticed M1 being noiser than other oils but there are others who make the claim.

Yes it does come up often.

OP- My suggestion would be to stick with an oil that doesn't cause noise. You might read that the noise is harmless, doesn't exist, is in your head, whatever. Bottom line stick with an oil that doesn't cause your engine to be noisier. I had a similar situation with a very popular boutique oil often touted here, and caught some heat for mentioning it. I changed it out and never looked back.

I used Mobil 1 for years with no problems at all. Go figure.

I can conur that Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W-20 makes my engine noisier in my 07 Scion tC. When I switched to Pennzoil Platinum the engine toned down tremendously but I've also read that the VVT-I has noisy lifters due to design. I can definitely tell PP made a difference because before I had been using Mobil-1 Full Synthetic for about 7 years straight.

I've read about M1 making engines nosier here for years but I've never really seen this myself in various applications.
I'll probably run M1 AFE 0W-20 in both the newer Accord and the newer Forester for their fall changes, coming up in the next month or two.
Since neither the Subaru 2.5 nor the Honda 2.4 are notably quiet engines, I doubt that either my wife or I will notice any difference.
If the AFE makes either noticeably noisier, I'll be sure to post that here.

Same thing happened with my Subaru. I have no doubt that M1 was protecting the engine just fine, but it was noisier than any other oil I used. Regardless, I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I was getting it at a good price.

Yeah yeah -
this stuff got me testing with Db meter and the loser was site darling PUP

I guess thankfully my hearing is not so sensitive to the different brands of oil and their noisiness in my engine. I will just continue to use what quality oil brand is the best value and produces good results. Right now that's Mobil 1 because of their rebates and my last UOA using it. "I'm sorry dear, what did you say, I can't hear you"
lol.gif
, just kidding
grin2.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back