How to clean a Mityvac 7201?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used my Mityvac for a couple of years now with great results. I have used it for sucking out everything imaginable trans fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, differentials, well you get the idea.

Well now comes the time where I would like to use it for a fluid refill. How do you Mityvac users clean out the unit to assure a clean fill?

I run some acetone thru it immediately after every time I use it. If I recollect right, the instructions say to do this. A quart or gallon of acetone is not expensive in the paint dept. at Walmart or Home Depot.

My favorite use for it is to suck out the transmission pan prior to a pan drop...Saves a lot of splashed fluid and avoids a big mess. I haven't tried it, but I think with the Mityvac I could change transmission fluid and filter and not waste a dress shirt.

buy a second mityvac.

id youre looking for just good enough and dont need full assurance, if youre sucking out old transmission fluid, then replacing it back, then majority of any residue that gets put will be transmission fluid. Esp. if youre doing 2x or 3x replacements, its not the end of thr world if an ounce or 2 of old fluid gets pumped back in.

Last edited:
Personally I would not bother using the same vacuum pump to evacuate and to fill, as the risk of contamination is too great. I know that my pump is filthy from used oil and other fluids. Cleaning all that up would be hard, time consuming and the solvents involved may pose a problem as well.

I would simply buy a fluid transfer pump, either manual or electric, or as suggested, another mityvac.

I recall cleaning it up after first use with soap and water but I don't bother cleaning it any more after use. I just pour out as much fluid as I can. I only use it for extracting oil from one car so there's no mixing different types of fluids.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
buy a second mityvac.

id youre looking for just good enough and dont need full assurance, if youre sucking out old transmission fluid, then replacing it back, then majority of any residue that gets put will be transmission fluid. Esp. if youre doing 2x or 3x replacements, its not the end of thr world if an ounce or 2 of old fluid gets pumped back in.

But how do you clean the second mittyvac? Would you buy a third mityvac to clean the 2nd one?

When I'm done I hang mine upside down over a container with a large funnel in it. When everything is out of it I add Simple Green and water and shake it up and pump it out. I do that a few times then hang it upside down to drip dry. I blow air through the hoses at a very low pressure into a 5 gallon joint compound bucket, and use them when I flush out the Simple Green and water, then blow them out with air again. Using this method I get it very clean.

I don't use it to add and extract fluid in the same day. I add fluid via the dipstick, or fill hole.

Good info. I will be doing a couple dump and fills on my wife's Malibu transmission soon. Since it doesn't have a dipstick to fill from I was thinking of using the mityvac to refill it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back