Delo SD 15W-30, 2001 Lexus ES 300 - 3218 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my first UOA for this car. 1MZ-FE VVTi with 231000 Miles.

Ran 3218 Miles on Delo SD 15w-30 and a Bosch D3422.
This is mostly on E30 fuel- I usually add a few gallons of E85 to my tank while filling up.

I had reused the oil filter and had like a quart-and-a-half residual oil from the previous fill- API SL Quaker State Defy 10W-30.

Viscosity is rather low. Sure, this engine is hard on oil, but I wasn't expecting it in the SAE 20 range.

After a few more UOA's, I'm going to replace the rear valve cover with a redesigned one with the spin-on PCV valve.
I'm interested to see how this is reflected in the UOA trends, since this supposedly mitigates the oil sludging this engine is notorious for.

l1mC0u4.png

Wheres the sodium from? Delo or prev QS have any?

Wear metals are low. Any reason you are using 15w oil?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Wheres the sodium from? Delo or prev QS have any?

Wear metals are low. Any reason you are using 15w oil?
Don't think either these have sodium in their add pack. I've run some Valvoline in here recently- might be residual from that.

Using this 15W-30 mainly since I have a bunch of it from when O'Reilly had it on clearance. Don't need to worry much about cold pumping characteristics here in Texas. Will be using 10W-30 Rotella T5 next.

Keep an eye on the fuel pressure regulator on the end of the rail. I have replaced two due to E fuel. There is a rubber diaphragm that leaks pretty good. Also if u havent done it yet the fuel filter is probably pretty black after using E fuel.

I had one a few years back and pulled the front valve cover to make sure it wasnt a sludger.. dang good car.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
That motor must be tough on oil I am surprised that this Delo thinned out its a stought oil.

How can you tell that this oil has been mechanically sheared as opposed to diluted by fuel? Considering the oil being used I would guess that it isn't the former.

This is typical with the UOAs posted here, even when an inferred number for fuel is being provided. I don't think that conclusions as to what is happening can be made based on the limited information that's provided. If it is indeed fuel then it doesn't matter what brand of oil is being used.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
This is typical with the UOAs posted here, even when an inferred number for fuel is being provided. I don't think that conclusions as to what is happening can be made based on the limited information that's provided. If it is indeed fuel then it doesn't matter what brand of oil is being used.

Perhaps it is indeed fuel dilution. Maybe I should stick to E10 for an OCI and compare.
Now that I think of it, I haven't looked at the long term fuel trims in a while...

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Keep an eye on the fuel pressure regulator on the end of the rail. I have replaced two due to E fuel. There is a rubber diaphragm that leaks pretty good. Also if u havent done it yet the fuel filter is probably pretty black after using E fuel.

Thanks, I'll watch out for the leaking pressure regulator.
I last changed the fuel filter about a year and a half ago, not long after starting to run gasohol.

Just remembered that I've used Valvoline VR1 as a topup oil recently, perhaps during the QSD fill, which explains the sodium.

I'm not saying your motor could not shear down Delo SD, but it would not be my first guess. I'm also thinking fuel dilution. If any top-up's used different oils, we can't be sure about anything because of how the add paks might have interacted. It's not terminal by any means, but the mixed chemistry can't be defined w/o a lot of lab work.

The basic benefit from your sample was to see that wear metals were low. The rest is sort of a guessing game with the fuel used and the mix of lubes ...

Shearing has not been my experience with Delo SD.
I bet the E30 has something to do with it as well.
I agree with BrocLuno on his points. Spot on.

From a fair number of UOA's I've read on the 1mz-fe, it's NOT that hard on oil. There are a number of excellent reports out there of great numbers run on full synthetics out to 8k miles and more. This buttresses what the prior posts are saying.

If you change the oil on a reasonable interval, you won't have a sludge problem and changing the rear cover is a not required if you don't plan on running dino oil 15k or more. There have been 0 of these engines shown to sludge with consistent oil changes appropriate to the usage and oil.

The oil choice is interesting, and I had considered it for ours (later ES). But I thought the specs/price didn't make it that attractive vs. similarly robust 10w-30 full synthetics out there.

Wear metals are low, but oil sure took a beating - down to 8.7cst from 12; and down to 3.2 TBN after 3k miles!

I thought this oil would be a lot more resilient to adverse conditions!

Sure didn't hold up, what a poor showing.

since fuel dilution is occurring, the oil used is even more important.

why you would still use such a thick oil is beyond me. 15W in Texas doesn't matter. You're diluting because it's taking your engine a lot longer to get proper ring seal, one thing most/all rarely consider. It's why your viscosity is getting slashed.

E30 has NOTHING to do with the shear. If ANYTHING, ethanol allows for much longer OCI's as it does not corrode internals, nor does it affect viscosity much. It also leaves little to no deposits in the engine.

I would continue the E30 runs.

Consider better UOA testing to truly reveal your engines condition.

Originally Posted By: danielLD
15W in Texas doesn't matter. You're diluting because it's taking your engine a lot longer to get proper ring seal, one thing most/all rarely consider. It's why your viscosity is getting slashed.

This 15W-30 isn't THAT thick. I doubt this methodology would have such an extreme effect.
Can't find it offhand, but there's a guy on here that's running straight SAE 30 in a 3MZ and has experienced nothing comparable to this.

You're right about a better UOA leading to less speculation- the next analysis will go to Blackstone (for 3x the cost.
whistle.gif
)

The long term fuel trims on the drive to work last night were respectively ~7 and ~3 for banks 1 and 2, so the ECU might not have been injecting the ideal amount of fuel to either or both banks.

Filled up with gas last night and reset the ECU.
I'm 700 miles into the current OCI, and like half of that was on E10 due to the recent post-gasoline-shortage E85 shortage. Will run the current fill till 3500 or so.

Originally Posted By: mooferz
15W in Texas doesn't matter. You're diluting because it's taking your engine a lot longer to get proper ring seal, one thing most/all rarely consider. It's why your viscosity is getting slashed.

This 15W-30 isn't THAT thick. I doubt this methodology would have such an extreme effect.
Can't find it offhand, but there's a guy on here that's running straight SAE 30 in a 3MZ and has experienced nothing comparable to this.

You're right about a better UOA leading to less speculation- the next analysis will go to Blackstone (for 3x the cost.
whistle.gif
)

The long term fuel trims on the drive to work last night were respectively ~7 and ~3 for banks 1 and 2, so the ECU might not have been injecting the ideal amount of fuel to either or both banks.

Filled up with gas last night and reset the ECU.
I'm 700 miles into the current OCI, and like half of that was on E10 due to the recent post-gasoline-shortage E85 shortage. Will run the current fill till 3500 or so.

Blackstone hardly qualifies for a decent UOA. Their expensive and provide little data. Get a UOA with an analyst that will actually indicate to you what is happening.

ECU is fine, variance is never perfect.

You're only talking with a guy who did extensive studies proving that oil start up temps have huge impacts on wear, for Ford, Honda and Lexus.

Blackstone hardly qualifies for a decent UOA. Their expensive and provide little data. Get a UOA with an analyst that will actually indicate to you what is happening.

So who would you suggest using?

You're only talking with a guy who did extensive studies proving that oil start up temps have huge impacts on wear, for Ford, Honda and Lexus.

Where can we see your evidence and results?
Not sure how relevant this would be since wear doesn't appear abnormal.

Interesting oil choice, and you changed it just in time.

This engine really beat up the oil in short order.

Interesting to hear you found e30 gasoline? Where are you finding that in Texas?

I believe all I have seen is e10-e15 for standard vehicles, then e85 rarely for flex fuel cars.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Interesting to hear you found e30 gasoline? Where are you finding that in Texas?
I believe all I have seen is e10-e15 for standard vehicles, then e85 rarely for flex fuel cars.

Yup, no blending pumps here either. I've been putting ~5 gallons of e85 into the tank before filling up the rest of the way with 93, which (if the e85 is actually 85% ethanol) is around e30 on my 18+ gallon tank.

Yeah, we all just got s**t bombed. Registered six weeks, invokes the names of respected posters of a decade ago (Dyson), takes a thread dump without references. Makes statements against SAE tested results, and then disappears. Welcome to the internet!

Anyway, some of use care about the thread.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Oro_O

Yeah, we all just got s**t bombed. Registered six weeks, invokes the names of respected posters of a decade ago (Dyson), takes a thread dump without references. Makes statements against SAE tested results, and then disappears. Welcome to the internet!

Anyway, some of use care about the thread.
wink.gif

Oh there's an old youtube video somewhere with Terry endorsing me, I'll find it. Me and Terry no longer work together for other reasons that I can not comment on at the moment due to pending litigation against Dyson Analysis.

2. I didn't disappear, I have other things to do than just browse BITOG.

3. I posted references and then get told otherwise.

4. I don't receive notifications like other forums, so my posts are wherever I click.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back