Miramar Air Show 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took my family to the Miramar Air Show on 9-22-2017. Thought I would share some pictures. Had a great time. Hope you all enjoy.

Last edited:
We took the motorhome and stayed at Santee Lakes. Was a great trip.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I use to work there from 1986 to 1989. Back then, it was a Navy air base.

+1 here. 89-91 Hanger 1 VF-126
a pic from one of the airshows back then, always packed them in.

Our youngest son is a major in the AF, and a pilot, stationed in Dover, DE. While there last month visiting the grandkids, he wanted us to go to the air show they had at the base. It was incredible. Seeing/touring some of the many aircraft on display was great but watching the actual air show, from historical WWII planes to those in active service now was the highlight. If you've never seen the Thunderbirds live, you're missing a real treat. The pride and patiotism from the crowd that day was electric.

As a kid in Albuquerque, I saw many a military airplane beginning in 1943. Kirtland Army Air Field trained bombardiers and pilots and it seemed airplanes were in the air day and night. On Saturday afternoons, after the matinee at the LOBO theatre, we would wait for our bus by guessing what type of airplane would go over next.In late 44 or maybe early 45, we were beyond astonished by the biggest airplane we had ever seen, a B-29. No one got that one right. Thank you mb for bringing back treasured childhood memories of days long gone by. I'm glad we weren't old enough to understand that a lot of those airmen were lost over Japan and the Pacific.The Greatest Generation.

My pleasure. Greatest Generation for sure. We ran into a lot of great people.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I use to work there from 1986 to 1989. Back then, it was a Navy air base.

Same here. was stationed there 87-93, I was in VAW-116 and our squadron would man a beer stand on the ramp, always gave free beer to our squadronmates
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back