Rented 2017 Rear Wheel Drive Tahoe w/5.3L engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
We were in Phoenix last weekend and rented this beast, with 17,500 miles on the Odo.

Pluses:

Plenty of room for our extended family,
Really good gas mileage on a trip to Flagstaff (Northern Arizona University) and back.
Bose Audio System.

Minuses:

So-so acceleration,
Geez does this thing have Oversteer,
Body Roll excessive.

I had an option between this vehicle and a Nissan Armada (same price), and chose the Tahoe because Mrs. Molecule is looking for a new SUV to replace the '08 TrailBlazer, and wanted to "experience" this Tahoe.

I have to say, I don't like it and the next time I will rent the Armada since I have had good luck with Nissan's.

BTW, being a
crazy2.gif
BITOGER, I checked the oil at delivery and turn in. Was down a half Liter at turn-in.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

BTW, being a
crazy2.gif
BITOGER, I checked the oil at delivery and turn in. Was down a half Liter at turn-in.
grin2.gif

Did you check it before you took the tip? Or did it really drop that much?
cry.gif

What defines really good mileage?

With the third row up, how much cargo space is there behind it?

Can't imagine oversteer or body roll is worse than past generations, but Im willing to be wrong...

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

BTW, being a
crazy2.gif
grin2.gif

Did you check it before you took the tip? Or did it really drop that much?
cry.gif

It really dropped that much.

It might still be breaking-in.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What defines really good mileage?

With the third row up, how much cargo space is there behind it?

Can't imagine oversteer or body roll is worse than past generations, but Im willing to be wrong...

We got 18 City and 25 mpg Highway. I consider that good because of the many hills and curves one has to negotiate through the mountains.

There was still plenty of room after the third row was up. Don't know the exact volume left.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
What was your highway driving style and fuel economy?

Lead Foot Mola-style driving.
shocked2.gif

We got 18 City and 25 mpg Highway. I consider that good because of the many hills and curves one has to negotiate through the mountains.

Last edited:
dat torque management doe. GM tunes a lot of torque management to protect the drivetrain from sudden loading (think early GM trucks with the v8 and 4l60e).

Love driving my wife's Yukon XL. I agree the 5.3 is a bit of a slug in this vehicle which is why we got the 6.2. It flies for a big SUV.

25 mpg is really good! Driving to Flagstaff is pretty mountainous.

I drove a 2005 Tahoe to Pinetop, AZ (lots of hills too) a couple weeks ago and it got about 16 mpg.

Ditto on liking our Yukon - but the prices climbed so fast we downsized to the Ford which does move quicker ...

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
Love driving my wife's Yukon XL. I agree the 5.3 is a bit of a slug in this vehicle which is why we got the 6.2. It flies for a big SUV.

I hear people say this all the time and it boggles my mind. My dad said the same thing and bought a 6.2 Yukon Denali. I have a 5.3 in my Sierra and it's the fastest car I've ever owned.

Originally Posted By: glock19

I hear people say this all the time and it boggles my mind. My dad said the same thing and bought a 6.2 Yukon Denali. I have a 5.3 in my Sierra and it's the fastest car I've ever owned.

You clearly haven't owned many fast cars!
smile.gif
. I think ours runs a 14 second quarter mile per C&D which is as fast as my stock Mustang GT I had in high school. Crazy. But...load the Yukon up with the family and assorted junk and it's 7,000+ lbs. Friends have regular Yukons/Tahoes and feel they are a bit underpowered as well. Could have something to do with torque management programming as I haven't driven a Sierra with one.

Next you gotta try the Tahoe RST with the 6.2L and tuned suspension. I'm totally getting one as soon as that money tree in the back yard happens.

Yes and for a little more than that you can buy the V12 LS engine longblock. Where does it end? N/A 6.2 would be perfect imo.

Originally Posted By: glock19

You clearly haven't owned many fast cars!
smile.gif

I really haven't, maybe one day.

From the 5.3 powered vehicles I've driven, I wouldn't say it is slow, but the throttle management kills acceleration unless you floor it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back