Amsoil SS 0W20 / 2013 Ram 4.7 / 22,557km OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under-powered Oil field truck that is driven hard, tows a trailer, and has a lift kit
Unknown oil was in the truck but it was very gross, maybe I should have preformed a flush before I ran the Amsoil but I thought I would be safe running it for half of recommended OCI
The driver topped it up with 1 litre of 5w20 quarkerstate even though I provided 2 litres of 0W20
Oil went in
June 6th 2017
317,092km
5986hrs
Oil came out
Sept 22nd
339,649km
6366hrs

I might add this is my first oil sample using Amsoil and I am pretty disappointed, looks like it must be sucking in some dirt from the EVAP system, but I dont know where all that Iron came from

Last edited:
200ppm iron? Ouch!
shocked.gif

Definitely needs a shorter OCI & some better air filtration, wonder if there's a 2 stage foam air filter available for it, those seem to help in dusty conditions.

200 Iron is a lot. Analysis:

We're looking at a vehicle that has 339649km (211048 miles) on an interval of 22557km (14016 miles), at an average speed 57 kph (36 mph).

Amsoil's recommendation for that distance includes the warning not to mix other oils.

My thoughts are that the oil was run too long considering the Quaker State was added. Agree with you DustinC that there should have been a flush and I think that there was a lot of residual iron left behind from the previous too-long oil change.

Add to all this, the 4.7 was originally specified for 5w30 and in this truck is always under a heavy load.

I'd switch the truck to 5w30, beat the driver and make sure he adds what you gave him if it needs some, go 10k on the next Amsoil and sample at that point, leaving it in.

I would estimate that the iron level comes way down in subsequent samples as the extra wear metals from the previous overused oil gets washed out.

High silicon usually means the air filter and/or the air path to the engine intake manifold isn't sealed properly. Make sure the fit is tight, and all the rubber sealing surfaces are in place. Too much dirt is getting in.

This isn't Amsoil's fault. Its a proven oil, although the viscosity is way too high, perhaps from the previous crud in the oil from the last oil change you mentioned.

Last edited:
I believe the Dirty air is coming in the Evap system as the truck had a code for a small leak. It will be coming back in shortly as it had a bad lower ball joint so I will try and find the source of the dirty air

Remove the AF and clean all the dirt around and in the intake. Install a new AF. Shorten oci to 7,000. 10,000 max on the AF.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Remove the AF and clean all the dirt around and in the intake. Install a new AF. Shorten oci to 7,000. 10,000 max on the AF.

Good recommendation. I think I'd run the Amsoil again and re-sample after the air filtration issue is sorted out. In all fairness oil should be sampled after it was run at least twice in an application, and problems like poor air filtration are sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back