Coolant change Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, 2010 5.7 commander here. Did a radiator dump and refill in 2014 and again in 2015. Was about to do it again but started wondering whether it's overkill. Do I do it or wait another yr? Using mopar long life coolant. Thanks in advance.

Thanks Eddie. Yes, this one is 5 yrs 100K miles. I'm just wondering since I'm doing the radiator only, whether more frequent changes r needed.

Been maintaining older cars for the past 45 years. In the past 20 years the coolant has advanced significantly and I find a rad flush and new fluid is not necessary at all. I don't know how they do it but it is far better than it used to be. In my experience going 10 years on the original fluid is very doable. If I kept a new car 20 years, I would only expect to service the cooling system fluid once and that's it.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Been maintaining older cars for the past 45 years. In the past 20 years the coolant has advanced significantly and I find a rad flush and new fluid is not necessary at all. I don't know how they do it but it is far better than it used to be. In my experience going 10 years on the original fluid is very doable. If I kept a new car 20 years, I would only expect to service the cooling system fluid once and that's it.

Agreed. With the old plain green coolant, I never had a corrosion issue with a radiator drain and refill every 2 years.

With the new fluids, you could likely do the same every 4-5 years and be well protected.

This is a inexpensive tester Maybe an overkill but I do mine every 2 years I check it with this... 1 gallon antifreeze the rest water...Ive' never had a antifreze relateded problem in over 30 plus years...

I service per manual (usually as I near 100k). If the engine drains aren't a PIA to reach, I'll do them. If not, rad drain and fill is good enough if the car has no prior cooling issues.

If I want more alone time in the garage, I usually find other "maintenance" stuff for excuses.

Make sure to use HOAT coolant (such as Zerex G05) in your Jeep! Flush it ASAP if it's OAT stuff like universal.

With HOAT, probably every 5-7 years is good. Mileage, probably up to about 100k.

I’d find the engine drain plugs and open them. Oh, and make sure you have the temp knob turned to hottest temp.

What does your manual say to do? Mine literally says drain the radiator, not squeeze every drop out.

I hate to parrot the "cheap insurance" bit but most cars are junked due to transmission or cooling issues. And if you read here about all the 12-15 year old cars with $1000 heater core problems etc, you don't want that to be you. And it takes all those years to show issues.

Sounds like your coolant is basically all new as of 2015, so long life coolant = 5+ years = theoretically change it in 2020.

(I am an obsessive coolant changer, so I have never let a car go 5 years with any sort of coolant.)

Change the coolant with a long life coolant every 4 years with a radiator flush only. 5 years is probably fine but, 4 years is a compromise to help people sleep better. Ed

Jeep coolant is good for 5 years. So if the radiator drain changes half the coolant you could do that every 2.5 years and be ok based on my logic.

Thanks everyone, all very good points! As OCD as I am, may just wait till next year to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back