1997 Blazer ATF fluid change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would guess this applies to all 4.3 automatic Blazers and S10's as well as earlier full sized trucks fitted with the 4L60-E.

It look like it holds around 11 quarts and that 4 drain out when the pan is dropped. How does one check the fluid level though? Does the transmission need to be in neutral, park etc.?

I am wanting to replace my 1-2 shift solenoid because of some harsh 1-2nd shifts when cold. I'll do a filter and pan gasket change while I'm in there too.. Can't think of anything else.

Thanks everyone.

Well, without looking up the information via the web, most older GM vehicles need to have the tranny at operating temperature and the vehicle in P or N. I'd use P!

Quote:
4.3 automatic Blazers and S10's as well as earlier full sized trucks fitted with the 4L60-E.

Yep, great combo. I have a 1999 S-10 with 206,000 miles on it.

Fluid level is checked on a level surface, engine hot, and in Park.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Well, without looking up the information via the web, most older GM vehicles need to have the tranny at operating temperature and the vehicle in P or N. I'd use P!

+1. it is a simply drop of the pan. Filter is also easy to replace. That engine/transmission can run on Crisco for 300k. I would use whatever ATF you can get on sale and enjoy. Few years back I used Chevron ATF and it seemed to be a nice job

Use any good synthetic ATF, like Maxlife. You should also get the Dorman transmission pan that has a drain plug, for easier fluid changes in the future.

Shift Solenoids will not fix a harsh 1-2 shift. For one thing....The solenoids work in combinations to change the ratios, Not "The 1-2 solenoid only controls the 1-2 shift".

0bCDBGi.gif

Mechanically sticky solenoids will have trouble turning "On" (Blocking Fluid), Not turning "Off" (Exhausting Fluid). If you unit was taking off in the wrong gear when cold with no codes stored....Then we would be talking about changing shift solenoids.

S/T trucks are the worst for a harsh 1-2 shift when cold with the fan clutch engaged.....The fan pulls more power than one would think causing the MAF & MAP sensors to read a higher load. Higher load equals higher line pressure, Higher line pressure equals harsher shifts.
Loose 2/4 Band clearance will amplify this issue.

4L60E's have a tendency to break 2nd clutch Accumulator springs, The Accumulator Housing can be accessed with the pan removed.

Thank you for the info.

So it may be something i have to just live with or it could be the 2nd clutch actuator springs?

It just feels like I am beating the heck out of the transmission. I normally try to be super easy on it, but it doesn't always work out. (Leaving home in the morning and pulling out onto a dead country road vs. leaving work and having to pull out onto a state road for example.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I would guess this applies to all 4.3 automatic Blazers and S10's as well as earlier full sized trucks fitted with the 4L60-E.

It look like it holds around 11 quarts and that 4 drain out when the pan is dropped. How does one check the fluid level though? Does the transmission need to be in neutral, park etc.?

I am wanting to replace my 1-2 shift solenoid because of some harsh 1-2nd shifts when cold. I'll do a filter and pan gasket change while I'm in there too.. Can't think of anything else.

Thanks everyone.

Try a bottle of LubeGard Red (Red Bottle Only).

If some of those sticky solenoids are sticky with that thin reddish varnish then LubeGard Red may help.

After running 1k with LubeGard Red, do one more drain and refill.

If that doesn't help, then you definately have an internal mechanical problem.

TRAV and clinebarger have lots of experience with trannies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: clinebarger

...4L60E's have a tendency to break 2nd clutch Accumulator springs, The Accumulator Housing can be accessed with the pan removed.

Just curious as to the cause. Temper, corrosion, torque twisting...?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: clinebarger

...4L60E's have a tendency to break 2nd clutch Accumulator springs, The Accumulator Housing can be accessed with the pan removed.

Just curious as to the cause. Temper, corrosion, torque twisting...?

Temper &/or just plain fatigue. Also the WIDESPREAD problem of Rebuilders/Shift Kit Manufactures/Even GM at times....Installing/Sending incompatible accumulator spring/piston/housing combinations.

Anytime the springs experience Coil-Bind their lifespan is severely compromised, You can't assume anything. The Inner cushion spring is the most apt the break from coil-bind in stock applications, GM put to long a spring in several thousand 4L60E in the '96-'98 time frame trying to correct harsh 1-2 shifts, The spring was heavier & helped until the spring broke. The spring wouldn't bind unless the line pressure got high enough which is basically only WOT.

The accumulator spring that are sent with Trans Go shift kits are JUNK, They run 3 springs that run right next to each other, The skinny wires get caught it the adjacent spring & they break up ruining the Housing & Piston.

I check every combination before final assembly using "Test" housings with the piston & spring combination I plan on using.

I apply some gear marking compound on a couple coils, Load the springs & piston into a test housing, Compress the piston all the way, Check the spring for coil bind.
ILd7xdj.jpg

The longer spring will work with the Piston with legs, But will coil bind if the legless piston is used.
Using the shorter spring with leg piston will render the spring less effective & a harder 2nd gear will result

Cb59zRZ.jpg

t8NPFY1.jpg

GM Part# 24209794 Outer accumulator spring can be used in ALL Piston & Housing combinations & they rarely break.
The coils are Ovate wire & can compress further than a round wire spring while keeping the same rate

9EItpP6.jpg

Trans Go spring destruction
y3OPUpB.jpg

I'm not seeing it. In the photo with the 2 springs and the board, the black spring is compressed whereas the green one is not. Then in the other photo, the black spring appears slightly longer.

Is this whole assembly easy to take off and inspect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back